jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Website Owner Asks for Partnership

1. David 470 profile image87
    David 470posted 5 years ago

I received an email this morning from someone who runs a video game website. He said it would be great if my articles were on the site, they would be well-received by the community. He said I could place them there or he could. This site is on the first page of Google and looks somewhat established.

I am flattered, but how could I have my articles somewhere else, it would be duplicate content, yes?

1. 0
      ateinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Offer to write for them about the same topic, at a price of course big_smile . Or you can ask them to link to your hubs. Free backlinks from a site on first page in GSERP.Not bad .

David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That could be a good idea! I just need to find out if he does this for fun or for earning potential income. Or both.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

David, from what I understand if you do not post them then HubPages should not have an issue. Besides anyone can post links or the article itself, but they should ask first and give you the credit and you can always file a DNC if not satisfied....cool

3. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

If it was the whole article posted on the site, it would be duplicate content.  You could write an original summary with the link to the whole hub however.

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

If articles are published here first and then copied somewhere else you are not penalized by HubPages.

However, Google doesn't like duplicate content, so in the end, someone will "win" and someone will "lose."  If Google decides it likes the video site better, then they will get the better traffic, and given that you've not said anything about you earning from having your content repurposed, that sounds like a no-money-no-win situation for you.  Or Google will view the other site as just a rip-off site stealing content, and they'll get no benefit from reusing your writing.

What's the benefit of this deal again?

David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, this is why I must refuse or simply not reply. He did not say anything in the email about earning, he may just be doing this website for fun - not for business reason perhaps.

But wait HubPages allows us to copy our content elsewhere? What if people steal our content?

1. relache profile image88
        relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Have you ever actually read the TOS?  If you haven't, you should, and if you did, you need to go back and do it again because your statements give the impression that you didn't comprehend it.

You retain the copyrights to your work, not HubPages.  They insist that what you publish here be unique and original but they have zero control over any other website on the Internet.  (although search engines made it abundantly clear this last year that copied content is bad) And if people steal your content, it's up to you to defend it.  That sort of goes with being a copyright holder.

5. Howard S. profile image85
    Howard S.posted 5 years ago

Give him permission to link to your hubs without copying. And also offer that for a token fee you will write unique teasers (similar to HubPages Summaries) of 50-100 words linking to requested hubs. By token fee, I mean that you are doing it mostly for the traffic, but that he's got to invest something as well.

1. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is the way to go - except that I doubt they will pay a fee, unless they have some means of eaarning money on the site.  And, for you, having what could be valuable backlinks on another site is only good.   I would not write a 'teaser' as such, I would write a very abbreviated version of your hub in different wroding to avoid dupoication - with a link to the full version.

6. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

Links are fantastic. smile I'd suggest listing the titles with live links back to your site wink no monies but great boost for SERP smile