jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

is this where the 'duplicity' comes from?

1. Kim M Gregory profile image60
    Kim M Gregoryposted 5 years ago

Grrrrr!  Not happy!  Perhaps I am making a BIG, mistake, but the hub I just wrote says it is duplicate material...NO WAY! 
    This is a personal story about me and my aunt making bread with references to MY web site!  Help???? I see that lots of folks create hubs referencing their own web sites...is this where the 'duplicity' comes from?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Have you posted it anywhere other than Hubpages? Duplicate means it appears in more than one place, no matter if you wrote it yourself.

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

What do you mean reference your own website? If it's just a link, that's fine. However if you already have the story published on  your website, that's considered duplicate content, since there is more than one copy of the content on the internet.

Kim M Gregoryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So, let me be specific. 
      1  I can be penalized for content that I admit came from by web site that I worte?
      2   How is a quote any different? 
      3  If I quote myself will that eliminate the 'duplicity'?
      4  So does this translate into...any photos I use on my web site I can;t use on my hubs?  On every photo I post I give credit to where it came from and that person is ME...

and...how do I know what to 'revise'? ...are these 'duplicate' things highlighted somewhere?

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
        QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The system automatically looks for any string of words that is the same as any other online content anywhere. It doesn't see quotes or attributions, just that a certain percent is the same as another site's content. So if you plan to quote, make sure you keep a large part of the article as original content - even if that simply involves re-writing something in different words.

IMAGES are different. As long as you properly attribute them (with a link to the original picture and author name, or a note saying you took them) as well as make sure they are not pixelated or watermarked, you can use the same images as much as you want.

You can view hubs that need to be revised on your account page:
        http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/stats

If the whole hub is highlighted in a pale red, it has been unpublished and needs to be revised - the reason will be displayed when you click through and visit the hub, in the black box at the top of the hub.
        If, however, there is only a red 'C' beside the hub, that means that someone else has copied the hub after you published it - if you did so, then you can ignore it, but remember that one or the other (your site or the hub) will rank higher in search engines, so it's pointless having two copies of the same content when Google will see one as duplicate. If someone copied your hub WITHOUT your permission, visit the hub and click the warning for a link to the site where the content was copied.

Thanks so much.  Yes, I do go to the link above...that is how I know it was duplicated...I want to know specifically what was duplicated.  All the text is origional and is NOT published on my web site.  All the photos are references as you suggest but they still say they are 'errily similar'....Grrrrrr.  This is so frustrating...  thanks, your time is very much apprecaited...

I can't revise it if I don't know specifically what is duplicated

1. QuestionMaster profile image89

In the warning at the top of the hub is there any link you can open up that gives further information? Sometimes there'll be a link there to the duplicate.

Otherwise, try contacting Hubpages directly: http://hubpages.com/contact_us/

thanks.  i appreciate the link, but i did that only to get an automated email...I deleted every songle word that was used in onmy web site and now the warnings are different...now it says it is overly promotional...no way!  Maybe I ought to take my articles somewhere I can actaullyspeak to someone...thanks for your time.  signed, still VERY frustrated.

1. QuestionMaster profile image89

http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

Do you have more than two outgoing links to one domain?

working