jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Non-attributed photos & contest

1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 5 years ago

I found a few photos on wikimedia that are in the public domain as well as other sites who offer their pictures without attribution required...

My question is: How do the hubmods know that we are legitimately using photos if we don't use attribution on these photos. What should be do in order to let mods know, "Hey, we're using these legally, the original artist just didn't want or require attribution."

I'm just wondering because I want to properly attribute photos for the upcoming contest, but some photos won't have attribution. I don't want to be disqualified because mods are thinking I'm illegally using photos.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Even if it is public domain and doesn't require attribution I would at least have a link to where I found it.

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

I believe even most wikimedia images still require attribution.

If not, you can always provide a link to the original image so the mods can check.

3. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 5 years ago

I always include a link to Wikimedia Commons photos with a credit in the Photo capsule. It's simple enough to give credit. Also, when using Wikimedia Commons photos, be sure to scroll down and check the photo info. Some of them are Creative Commons rather than straight public domain, and ask you to credit the user or photographer who uploaded them.  Fair enough!

4. GmaGoldie profile image87
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I agree with Greekgeek, the link is important in all cases. As a writer, I enjoy being given credit, as a photographer, as an artist it is just as critical.

Sadly, too many of my links have been broken and I have start just giving the source with no direct link. I am frustrated with chasing broken links.

5. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 4 years ago

What if there is no website to link back to? Like irl public domain photos that I can scan. How to cite those?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Just mention where they came from...