jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Why Don't We Always Use the # and the @ In Our Forums Like Twitter?

1. GmaGoldie profile image88
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

As a non-technical person who is trying to learn Twitter, can you please explain why Twitter uses # and @ in their messaging and yet we here at HP rarely see this?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why would it be necessary here?
      They are used in Twitter so that when people search that topic they find it.

2. GmaGoldie profile image88
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

So our search engine is better and we don't need it here? This is confusing for me. Thank you very much!

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Goldie,

The @ symbol is for when you're talk AT someone or sending a message @GmaGoldie(directly to an individual).

The # symbol is a HashTag and when you use it on Twitter it's telling other people that you are/have sent a tweet that goes under the Topic Heading of whatever #HashTag you use. (ie #Forums #Talking #Chat #History and so on)

In the forums, if a person is using forum decorum, then when they reply to a specific post then they are talking to that specific individual. If they just post a reply then they are talking to the OP or making a generalized statement.

You can use the @ symbol in the forums to direct a question or statement or reply directly to someone, it's done all the time, but it's not necessary if that person is taking or posting to the forum thread.

I hope that helps.

1. mary615 profile image95
      mary615posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Goldie, you just answered a question I had about Twitter.  I've never understood the #HashTag.  I always send Twitter my Hub, but I haven't been doing the #HasTag.  Will do next time!

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Did you read my post? You replied to it. I only ask because you're Thanking Goldie, but you are talking to me?

Yep, I meant to thank you, Cagsil:D

1. Cagsil profile image60
            Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

cool

2. mary615 profile image95

Cagsil, I can't seem to do anything right this AM!  I meant to give you a smiley face, not just the big_smile  I'm still learning! Bear with me while I try that again......big_smile

I did it!  How clever is that????

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Um, those are functions that twitter supports and forums don't.  I can't quickly pull up a list of all the @me posts or #theme with a click of a button. The forums will not tell me what #themes are trending....

working