jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

Stenosis?

1. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Can someone explain what stenosis means?  A friend recently learned that "a stenosis" is responsible for headaches she has always experienced (she's now in her 40s).  I would like more information, if anyone has some.  [ETA: Particularly any personal experience with it, or experiences of people you know personally.]

1. knolyourself profile image60
      knolyourselfposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"is an abnormal narrowing in a blood vessel or other tubular organ or structure." I know someone
      who has Stenosis of the spinal chord. Get numbness
      in places. May have laser surgery for some of this now - not sure.

2. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this
  2. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

I hope this is being followed up to prevent future problems for her.

3. Aficionada profile image93

Thanks, knolyourself and 2uesday.  From what I hear, this may require surgery for our friend.  I guess laser surgery sounds better than the older options, but I really would hope there could be some less invasive solution - but I don't know what it could be, if this is a narrowing of some kind.  Ouch.

4. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

WebMd has multiple versions.

Okay.  Thanks.

5. Aficionada profile image93

Does something like this develop over time, or are people always born with it?

6. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago
  7. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Stenosis by itself just means a tube that got constricted and made narrower,

So certain types can develop over time?  Or would that be true of all kinds of stenosis?

8. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

And, No. I don't know anyone nor do I have any personal experience with it.

9. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

I think the word is a term that can be used to refer to it in different areas of the body. I mean it is a word describes something rather than a condition - it seems to be describing a narrowing.

They can run a simple test on an artery in your neck sometimes if they suspect it may be affected it is called -the  carotid artery in the neck. It may not be that, but encourage her to go any tests offered. The headaches may be good in that they have got her to seek medical advice to sort it out and get it put right promptly.

Thanks, 2uesday.  Yes, I'm familiar with the carotid artery.

I know that she had gone to numerous doctors over the course of years and only recently found one who was able to find the cause of the headaches.  She was probably considered to be a hypochondriac before now!

I don't know whether there were any other symptoms associated with this or if anything else could develop in the future, over time.  But I'm very glad that she now has a diagnosis.

Thanks, everyone, for the information.

10. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Yes, stenosis can develop with age, because one of the causes, probably the major one, is the build-up of fatty deposits in artery walls.

Surgery is a principal method of treatment. Various other techniques can be used to attack the fatty plaques.

In the case of coronary arteries, a stent can be implanted. This is a tube, which is pushed into the arteries to create a clear passage. Drug-eluting stents are impregnated with drugs which are slowly released to stop clotting within the new stents. 

Bypass surgery can be used to create a new route around the blockages. This can use grafts made from the patient's veins.

I translate material on these sorts of procedures on an almost daily basis so am well up with the concepts and terminology. However, I am not a doctor, just a humble translator with biomedical postgraduate qualifications. Feel free to contact me should you ever think I could help with finding a way through the medical terminology.

This is fabulous information, WriteAngled.  Thank you so much!

I know that coronary bypass surgery has been successful for millions (? - thousands, at least) of people, so that gives me a lot of hope.

working