jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Gardening tips anyone?

1. jfay2011 profile image61
    jfay2011posted 5 years ago

I'm jumping into my garden and weeding it out.  Next year I'm excited about planting lots of herbs and flowers and seeing what I already have.  I want to learn about harvesting herbs etc...
    Anybody have any thoughts or tips about plants that are good for soaps and teas?  I'm starting to research it, but would like to know from fellow hubbers about it too.
    Just wrote a hub about weeding my garden today.  What a nasty mess.

1. kirsib profile image59
      kirsibposted 5 years ago in reply to this

not sure about any soaps but lemon basil is great for fish and I bet would do an awesome tea. I am just about to pick my first cherry tomatoes and there is TONS and loving this "just plant it go look 60 days from now" ideA LOL .  There is also lime basil available so just go with your gut! (and keep weeding haha)

1. jfay2011 profile image61
        jfay2011posted 5 years ago in reply to this

yup, I still have lots of weeding to do.  it's been raining today

2. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Hi jfay2011, I think it might be worth looking into growing herbs and which would be the best to use. One of the easiest to grow is mint, there are several types of mint. The main thing to remember when growing mint is to contain it as if not and you plant it directly into the ground it will spread in the garden and become a nuisance. Mint can be used in teas.

If you like the idea of growing herbs take a look at lavender,rosemary as they are easy to grow and smell nice. Marigolds (calendula officinalis) is easy to grow and might be OK for soaps, the petals are orange or orangey/yellow. These marigolds will grow easily in future years from the seed you can collect from them. Hope this is helpful.

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Lemon verbena makes a lovely tea.

A herb I really like, which is not generally available, at least in the UK, is lovage.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can get stevia in the UK - there is a guy sells it on ebay UK but he won't ship to spain - he says the plants wont survive the journey. I really want some stevia (that's the sugar sweet plant) and can't find anyone here who sells it, or its seeds.

4. Expert Gardener profile image61
    Expert Gardenerposted 4 years ago

Gardening is trending these days. The fast growing technology made us away of simple things around. I could help on Gardening Ideas. I have many tips for beginners and advanced. Plan your garden before anything else.