jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (40 posts)

Google Update Friday Night Oct 13

1. Benjimester profile image89
    Benjimesterposted 5 years ago

Anybody else dipping in traffic as of yesterday Oct 14?  Apparently, Google made another algorithm change, and my traffic has taken a bit of a plunge because of it.  Anyone else experiencing similar results?

1. 0
      SirDentposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mine actually dived on the 13th, though it is hard to take a big dive from a board only two feet above the pool.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yesterday (Friday, and always the poorest day of the week) was the best Friday I've ever seen, about a 25% increase over all other Fridays.

Still very early, but today looks like it will be good as well.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

My traffic is holding steady.

3. Benjimester profile image89

Well, I'm probably just experiencing the plunge that everyone's been talking about.  How long does that usually last anyway?  About a week?  Thanks for letting me know guys.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I expected the 'plunge' - according to the regular pattern I should have had one - I did see a dip of about 20% or so - but didn'y plunge as far as I normally do and am seeing the traffic recovering a lot quicker than normal!

Hopefully Google are getting close to a final Panda algorithm and we can all stop worrying!!!...or not!!!

Benjimesterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nice! Congrats.  Hopefully your traffic will steady out and Google will stop updating their stupid Panda.

4. Benjimester profile image89

I just found a tweet from Matt Cutts that he made on October 5th:

"Expect some Panda related flux in the next few weeks, but will have less impact than previous updates."

I guess the updates didn't like me very much sad

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My traffic actually went up, but I am tired of Google and worrying about constant updates. How about some security!

Agreed.  I'd take security and less traffic instead of constant ups and downs.

5. Rik Ravado profile image92
    Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago

My primary account (Rik) has dipped 10-15% (weekend trough?) but my secondary account has bombed from around 700 views to 118 in less than 24 hours!  This is my first 'plunge' and I'm not a happy bunny.  My suspicion is the new HubPages Ads may have tipped this account into a penalty.  I'll hold off for a day or 2 then switch the HubAds off on this domain.  I may also try removing most Amazon/Ebay ads.

It is frustrating that HubPages staff can offer no definitive advice about these plunges and that we are left making wild guesses as to the correct solutions.

That was my first thought too, but you would think that the effects would hit more hubbers if it was due to the HP ads.  And then I read that Google made another algorithm tweak the night before the traffic plunged.  And I also went on a few outside forums and found out that others started experiencing traffic loss at the exact same time I did.  So it seems to be hitting more than just Hubpages.

1. xmasdecorations profile image60
        xmasdecorationsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The HP ads thing was also my conclusion/theory, BUT, I hope that it IS that, because I'd rather a slap than a new algorithm to contend with. I've seen major gains on my sites which use a lot of in text affiliate links but hardly any banners at all.

Agreed.  I hope it's just the HP ads as well.  But then, why wouldn't it have affected more hubbers?  Surely most hubbers use the HP ads, and yet it seems like only a handful of people have been affected.

Unfortunately, I've checked on some of my other websites, and they're seeming to plunge a bit as well, being replaced by large sites like Amazon pages.  That either means that Google doesn't like the backlinking strategy I've been using or else their tweak has given a boost to larger sites.  But since you said that your outside websites were positively affected, I'm leaning towards Google not liking my backlinking strategy unfortunately sad

1. Rik Ravado profile image92
            Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My other account/subdomain that has plunged has no backlinking at all other than natural links.  I agree it is almost certainly linked to the latest Panda algorithm change but the only thing I can think of that has caused such a negative change is the extra ads.  I only switched on HubAds a week ago to take advantage of the new add formats.

6. Rosie2010 profile image82
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

Fridays are usually the start of my normal weekend low traffic days, but yesterday, Oct 14, my traffic was highest this week.  Saturdays are usually my worse day, but today traffic is surprising high... but it's only noon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

7. David 470 profile image86
    David 470posted 5 years ago

Last Friday was better than yesterdays friday. I'm not sure if this is because of Google or just my topics search engine trends.

1. Richieb799 profile image65
      Richieb799posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had a little bit of a dip Friday morning but back up now, mainly still one hub getting the majority of the traffic but quite a few others with around 50 views a day

8. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

My ongoing plunge has held steady over this weekend so far, and even maybe improved a tiny bit - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is going on  .

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

Friday 13th.  Unlucky for some.  Not me, my traffic went up slightly.  I thought something was happening as my traffic would normally fall on a Friday.

I still don't feel secure though.  I am constantly waiting for the next plunge.

10. Benjimester profile image89

Man, this is brutal.  It sucks that everyone's in constant suspense not knowing why a plunge is happening or when the next one might come along.

Thanks Rik for letting me know what's going on with you, especially with knowing what's going on with your other account.  It's nice analyzing multiple people's experience to try and come up with a common thread.  Still don't know why more people haven't experienced a plunge since the ad change though.

11. jcmayer777 profile image80
    jcmayer777posted 5 years ago

I've seen about a 75% reduction in views in the last day and a half - way too much for the normal weekend dip.  I went through a plunge and surge, but thought maybe I wouldn't have to go through the multiple plunges others have.

I'm not sure if this is just a plunge with horribly coincidental timing, or if I've been hit by Panda.

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like this fluctuation is hitting all across the net.  A website that I used to rank #1 for went down to #4.  It was replaced by Amazon pages and a big forum website.  I just checked this morning, and the big forum website now slipped down to #7 from #3, so they got hit as well.  Even though my hubs have all seen a decline in traffic, a lot of competitor pages that used to outrank my hubs have plunged even further.  So once the plunge ends, we might be in an even better place.  Who knows.

12. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

My traffic (which had held steady through previous Panda algorithm changes) took a plunge with this latest "tweak." I'm only getting about 25% of my former traffic levels. Bummer - I wish I could figure out what triggered the plunge, since I had been holding up well prior to this latest algo change!

I've been trying to figure it out myself Leah.  As far as I can tell, Google has given a boost to big brand names.  Amazon, which I had almost always outranked for my product hubs and websites, is now outranking me.  For my automotive hubs, places like Pepboys.com and other brand names are now outranking my hubs.  I've seen other article type sites and forums hit too over the last few days.  So it's all over the net.  I don't think there's anything we can do with this one except to ride out the plunge.  Hopefully it won't last too long.

13. Rik Ravado profile image92
    Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago

My secondary account has now bombed from around 700 views to 52 per day over the weekend! A roughly 95% reduction!  I've turned HubAds off for the time being to see what happens. 

I hope HubPages staff can figure something out here when they get back into work.  At least my Rik account is holding up better although that has slipped from 900 to 750 views per day. sad

Rik, I was thinking about messing around with the HP ads too but haven't worked up the courage to hit the button.  Would you mind letting me know if turning off the HP ads has any kind of effect?  Thanks man.

1. Rik Ravado profile image92
        Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have turned mine off but then I realised this only turns them off 60% of the time.  The hubpages share still has the full ads so I guess it would be luck as to whether the Googlebot saw my share (with adsense only) or the hubpages share with full Hub Ads.

I think if it is an ad problem then we can only remove amazon/ebay capsules and trust HubPages to adjust the HubAds numbers.

Here's hoping HubPages staff will offer some advice soon so we can try to correct these 'plunges'!

Thanks man, for keeping us all in the loop.  From everything I've seen and from the research I've been doing about it, I'm thinking that this current plunge is just a temporary dip and isn't going to last for a really long time.  I'll let you know if anything changes with me.  I'm going to leave the hp ads on.

14. thranax profile image60
    thranaxposted 5 years ago

I have just turned my Hubpages ads back on and seen the drop in traffic. I am really unsure if it is just a consequence or not. I am getting kind of anxious about the whole situation...I dropped nearly 1/5th of my overall traffic Saturday and nearly 30% so far today.

I shut off HPads...if the traffic increases again I will know its because of this. This is the only change I applied that could be effecting me personally. If the source is from google or some other online or world event then it will remain the same low traffic with them disabled.

I checked the articles I used to have on the first page and they still rank for the first page for the search terms reported. So being knocked off the first page isnt my problem.

Upset and agitated...

Thranax, that's interesting that you turned the ads back on and got hit with a penalty.  It's probably not a coincidence like you said, but you never know.  I'm with Rik on this one though.  I'm trusting that the HP staff know what they're doing and if there is a problem with the ads that they'll change them. 

On another note, I'm having a similar experience as you, seeing a dip in rankings but still on the first page.  My hubs have dropped an average of 3-4 spots in the Serps.  Interestingly enough, before this current plunge, I had been doing a lot of hub modification to my hubs, and had noticed that whenever I would make any major changes to my hubs, they'd drop in rank about 3 or 4 places for about a week or two and then come back stronger than ever.  I'm wondering if there's something in the Google algorithm now that temporarily drops the ranking of a page that's been significantly modified.  It doesn't really make sense that they would do that, but that's been my experience.  So I'm wondering if the ad change triggered that temporary penalty on a wider level.  Maybe we were just the lucky subdomains that happened to get the full, deep index at the time of the ad change, and the rest of the subdomains will have a more smooth transition as their hubs get indexed a handful at a time over the next month.  Don't know.  Just a thought.

15. Hmrjmr1 profile image79
    Hmrjmr1posted 5 years ago

Well I'm seeing a big drop and never turned on HP ads so I would guess that it's the algorithm change thing again.

16. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

I had big surge followed by a much bigger fall, followed by a steady increase to the point where I am getting close to where I was a week ago.

Bad for the nerves, this kind of thing.

17. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

To all of you who are surging and plunging and wish it would stop, please stop and think.

You want to it stop...where? On a surge?

What if stops on a plunge like happened to me?

I had plunge on top of a plunge.

The first plunge I lost 75% of my traffic. The second one I lost 50%. I am now almost 90% down.

I have had to start a new subdomain just to try and earn some money.

My new subdomain with just 22 hubs is already bringing me a 5th of the traffic I was left with on over 500 hubs.

1. thranax profile image60
      thranaxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is interesting. Can you apply for Hubpages Ad program on more then one account? I know with google and amazon you just pop in codes but it seems like Hubpages might not want one person using the program on multiple accounts.

I really hope it increases again, throughout the day now its almost night my night traffic increased. I almost think because of events of today: Patriots/Football games, Occupy Wall Street/Boston/etc, and the morning of Steve Jobs might all play a role in the lack of traffic.

Normally when you stop watching everyday and let it play out it returns stronger then ever. I just dont want to quit Hubpages for 6 months like I been doing over the last 3 years at times.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The long answer is yes.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think we just want it to stop. I am very hesitant to do anyting until I know where my traffic levels will be. I've started moving some content away from Hubpages, but cannot truly gauge what is happening until things settle down.

Sure I'd like it to stop on a surge, but that won't happen - I know it'll happen at the 'bottom' so I want to be able to move on, start adapting my writing and see what I can do to improve my traffic - I simply cannot do that until it is steady!

Could I start another sub-domain - sure - but what if that goes into a period of surge and fall.....I'm back at square one....

I have barely written articles since the purge and surge started - I've been reviewing all my old articles, removing a lot of Amazon modules and adding summaries - but there is no logical or objective way for me to see if this has done anything good (or bad) to my traffic...

18. Benjimester profile image89

Brutal.  Big G isn't playing nice these days.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And that is an understatement!

19. RedElf profile image84
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

If a used has multiple accounts, each account is eligible for HubPages ad program. It will have its own account number, and earn according to the same formulas as any other HubPages account. Nifty, huh?

I am tickled to report that my account has been recovering - not quite back up to where it was, but slowly recovering. I had a bit of a dip yesterday, but the numbers are coming back again quite nicely - give me hope!