Are Yahoo and Bing Useless?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (24 posts)
  1. anasshad profile image77
    anasshadposted 12 years ago

While I was in the forums, i saw a lot of hubbers complain about the effect of the Google Panda on their traffic and earnings. Some even so disappointed that they were thinking about quitting hubpages. I was wondering that Google is not the only search engine in the market. Google has strong opponents like Yahoo and Bing. Yahoo and Bing are also strong traffic providers. But do hubpages relies so much on Google that a tweak can become so serious? What is the role of Yahoo and Bing for Hubs and how much traffic can they provide? Are Yahoo and Bing completely useless?

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've learned to submit to other search engines to get traffic...you should also

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that anything I rank high on Yahoo is an extra long page. Even though I have a few pages that do well on Yahoo, I still get very little traffic from them compared to Google.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

No search engine is useless if it draws any sort of traffic. wink

3. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

Funny you mention that, Yahoo and Bing, as well as a few other places, are what's keeping me afloat while Google decides what it's doing today.

4. skear profile image92
    skearposted 12 years ago

Yahoo and Bing are not completely useless but they do not bring near as much traffic as Google does.

According to NetMarketShare Google currently has over 80% market share in the search engine market.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/search- … px?qprid=4

5. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

A very good question. There are other search engines out there, too: Ask, MSN, even good old Altavista and Lycos.  Not only that, but there are also international search engines like Yandex and Baidu which serve a huge chunk of the planet. I get searches from the latter (usually image searches, since few of their customers read/write English) on my own websites and Squidoo all the time.

The problem is that Google has the lion's share of English-speaking web traffic, so without Google traffic, it's much harder to get traffic in volume. Moreover, the algorithms Bing and friends use to rank websites aren't that different from Google. If our Google traffic tanks, our Bing/Ask/Yahoo/MSN/Lycos traffic may tank, too.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the search engine marketing industry treats "SEO" as synonymous with "optimizing for Google." We know much less about what factors the other SEs are looking for. I'm always on the hunt for information on how to optimize for other search engines besides Google-- it is the right question to be asking! I just haven't found many answers, and those I've found are usually several years out of date.

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bing/Yahoo ranks in a very similar way to Google, the only difference is a manginitude lower of search numbers. The traffic is also very different, especially since the introduction of the mobile market.

6. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I find that with my really popular hubs I get a lot of other traiifc from different search engines but they usually rank high in Google as well. For hubs that get small traffic from Google you wont get much from the others either.

7. codehub profile image58
    codehubposted 12 years ago

yahoo and bing appear to rank pages differently to google, for one thing, they do appear to favour older pages, compared to google. yet this might change again smile

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Most people still use google.

9. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I get barely any traffic from Yahoo and Bing.

For my own searches, I use Google if I'm feeling lazy and know there are lots of relevant sites anyway, Google Scholar if I need sites that are academic, and DuckDuckGo if I want a proper search on non-academic sites.

10. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

If I need to know anything I just find an SEO forum and post a query.  Saves bothering with Google, and gets me noticed.

11. toygurus profile image57
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

One thing I've noticed is that on Bing the age of the domain and page is weighted heavily. Right now most people are dependent on Google traffic.

12. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Face the reality and don't waste your time with Yahoo and Bing for the moment. Many are still hoping that this will change but how it will happen is beyond me

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's incorrect. Yahoo and Bing are very worthwhile. While they do not bring in massive amounts of traffic like Google does, Yahoo and Bing users are much more likely to click ads.

Very rough guide:
      Google works more on the pagerank of a site (the quality of the backlink), while Yahoo ranks your site based on the number of backlinks spread throughout the Internet.

For example:
      Backlink from ebay.com is worth a lot, Google ranks you highly because you have one backlink from them, so let's say Google gives you 10 points (these 'points' are just made up for the sake of this post.)

Yahoo sees your backlink from ebay.com and gives you 1 point. (so you're ranked lower in Yahoo.)

You have backlinks from a handful of DIFFERENT domains, Yahoo gives you a point for each of those, thus giving you a higher rank.

However, Yahoo does give authority backlinks a lot more weight than backlinks from some random article directory, so quality DOES matter. Quantity does seem to be Yahoo's focus though.

And, yeah, not as much traffic, but my Yahoo traffic loves to click ads.

13. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

I get about as much Bing traffic as google.co.uk traffic. (which is pretty darn good!)

And about as much yahoo traffic as google.com.ph traffic.

All of which definitely bring in a decent amount of searchers. While they may not bring in as much as the almighty google.com, they are by no means unworthy. Now, would I purposely try to rank for them? No. Simply because most I procrastinate enough when it comes to ranking for google, I don't need to procrastinate on trying to rank for more search engines. (Seriously. I don't backlink. Keyword research is as far as I'm willing to go.)

However, for people who get little google traffic, it might be good to do some research on how to optimize for Bing and Yahoo (especially Bing.)

Bing's going to be fairly popular. It won't beat google, but it will get lots of users. After all, bing is a default search engine on many computers; the bing toolbar is also a common default toolbar on new computers; and bing is on the xbox 360's search feature. I think bing is on other stuff too. Those who aren't that tech-savvy won't even try to change it to google and thus will end up using Bing just because it's there.

It also helps that Bing had those awesome commercials to help spread the name (unlike MSN search...)

14. Neil Horton profile image60
    Neil Hortonposted 12 years ago

The way I see it, if I only got one visitor from Bing or Yahoo, it is a visitor I didn't get from Google.

15. ALL4JESUS profile image74
    ALL4JESUSposted 12 years ago

I have good luck with this...
    http://pingsitemap.com/

1. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's for XML sitemaps. Fine for your own website, I suppose, but useless to us hubbers.

16. jainismus profile image71
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

I have seen that traffic to my Hubpages comes mostly from Google, and Yahoo & Bing are far behind in sending traffic to HubPages.

17. thedigger profile image59
    thediggerposted 11 years ago

I think traffic from every place is important and more important is free traffic. Yahoo and MSN is the second and third popular search engines. So we should also try to rank high in these search engines then only we can notice few relevant traffic to our website.

18. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

From what I've seen, users from Yahoo are MUCH, MUCH more likely to click my ads than visitors from Google.

19. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

I've seen my Yahoo and Bing traffic rising lately, often surpassing Google's.  I hope they kick Google's asp!  tongue

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)