Is there any way around duplicate content?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Stories Inc. profile image65
    Stories Inc.posted 12 years ago

Hi,

I posted the first chapters of a novel on my Blogger account and also posted an updated version here on Hubs (two accounts, same story/different version, different audiences and I need both their feedback) in order to get comments on how to improve it. After all, the first ten pages are the first and possibly only part of a novel an agent ever gets the see...

I tried adding extra text on Hubs, but the hub just got taken down all over again.

Is there a loophole? I'd really like to keep the chapters up in both places.

All best wishes,

Stories Inc.

1. drspaniel profile image83
      drspanielposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Basically the easiest way to get around duplicate content, is to publish original content... Sorry but I don't think it's going to go well trying to post duplicate content to this site...

1. anasshad profile image76
        anasshadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Duplicate content has no way around.

2. anasshad profile image76
        anasshadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Duplicate content has no way around.

2. relache profile image74
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There sort of is a loophole when it comes to using duplicated content.  You have to post your duplicate content on a site that doesn't care about ranking well with Google or earning any advertising revenue.

2. Stories Inc. profile image65

Darn.

I suppose then I have no other choice but to pick... Perhaps my regular followers won't mind link referral from Blogger to HubPages, but the newer ones won't bother. Well, *fingers crossed*

Anyway, thanks for replying.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Is there a reason for putting it in both places?

Stories Inc.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes: I want to reach as many and as diverse a group of people as possible and the Blogger and HubPages crowds don't really mix, so I need to approach them from their respective platforms.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IMHO the main audience comes from google -- and it is easier to promote one URL than two

Yes, but I have devoted followers on either account. And each account just draws different people; I'll never get the people that will stop by on Hubs if I only stay on Blogger and vice versa, which means I'd miss there comments.

We'll see how this link thing goes, once the hub is put back, finally.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I think linking to Hubpages is the best solution..
    tell your readers about the book and link..

To be honest, this is been put into such a perspective that it isn't a big deal anymore. Or a deal at all.

Would you believe that shortly after my last sign in and half an hour ago, I'd lost THE ENTIRE FILE  because of a word malfunction?!!!!

I freaked out like you wouldn't believe: all my work, gone!

Luckily, I just found a service that allows you to read the raw text, so I'm bringing an older back-up of the file up to date as we speak smile

Kind of makes the whole duplicate content, unpublished hub thing insignificant, compared to how bad things COULD get.

I'm so happy and excited, I could just drop dead of sheer happiness. As is probably apparent from this far too exuberant reply.

/ranting

5. QuestionMaster profile image80
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

The obvious loophole I can see would be to unpublish it on your blog, wait for Google to de-index it, get it published on HP, THEN a few days later publish it on your blog. If you post it elsewhere after it is original content here, then you don't get penalised, just get a red C indicating that someone has copied your work (in this case, you.)

Sure, people are talking about how Google penalises duplicate content etc (which is arguable in my opinion). But with creative writing, unless you really know what you're doing, you're unlikely to get traffic from search engines ANYWAY, so in this case I see no reason you'd need to care about SE's.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No so, question.  that material on HP is still a duplicate, even though it is the original.  Should HP decide the second copy is not stolen but still owned by the same person the hub will be unpublished as the duplicate it is. 

When it is found, you will have to convince HP that you don't own the second copy - lie to them enough and you will be caught and probably lose the account.

2. Stories Inc. profile image65

That does sound good.

I took all the text out of the blog post, gave a few lines of summary for the story and replaced the actual story by a link to the hub, but that didn't work;
      it still got unpublished for duplicate content, wtf?

What else am I supposed to do?

1. QuestionMaster profile image80
        QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for Google to clear the content from its cache.

Oh, just great.

Thanks for clearing that up though. I'm not that savvy about the Dark Forces at work behind the scenes of Google.

1. QuestionMaster profile image80
            QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If the page still exists you can try pinging it so it gets recrawled quickly (try somewhere like pingler.com) or you can submit a request to Google through webmaster tools (you don't need an account) to recrawl a page.

To check whether it has been, just copy and past the URL into Google. Then click on cache - if it still has the whole story on the cache, then it hasn't been recrawled yet.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I would post the text I want an opinion on in a series of screenshots (photos), and add fresh content underneath each photo - which of course has to be big enough for the reader to read.
    The new text could just be a brief explanation of what you were trying to achieve in your writing, and asking for reader feedback.

That way you get round the duplicate content filter, and still get what you want opinion on, out there.

You can also put a link back to your blog for people to read more.

I tried that: added new clauses of text and everything

And I used links from HP to Blogger before; nobody ever clicks those...

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Just MHI but if you are trying to build your brand and following as a (eventually) published writer, it is better to do this under your own domain and pages you control--not a content site that earns pennies for you and looks less than fully professional. (Yes I am an author, but no, it is not under this name).

I don't earn any pennies, I don't have AdSense, so there's that.

And a lot of very good writers that give great feedback and know wth they're talking about are on hubs and occasionally comment on my hubs too.

If the text isn't on here, I lose their comments, I know that for a fact because  have stories here that are not on Blogger and the other way around. I know that's how it will be and for this post, that's a lot more definite than any of the others, I need all the opinions I can get...

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

put it up as a series of images rather than as text then it can't be auto flagged as duplicate content..

That might be an idea...

I'll see if I can find enough matching illustrations. It's only 1,5 pages of text.

1. LeanMan profile image79
            LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Save your page of text as a JPEG and just post the pictures in order....

Add some other text asking for feedback etc to fill out the hub...

Smart move... I just spent the whole time looking up pictures and adding the text in captions, but that's a much better solution, yes. Thanks! smile

I'll post a link here when I'm done. Fingers crossed that it'll work...

8. Stories Inc. profile image65

Alright, it's done!

Here's the link, now let's hope it will work again eventually:
    <snipped-no promotional links>

Anyways, thank you all so much for the tips! This was very frustrating and now I can even restore my Blogger post without causing conflict *knock on wood*

I just fixed it, so at least THAT link should be operational, in case anyone wants to see the story.
    <snipped-no promotional links>

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)