jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What's your opinion on writing an intro. to your poems?

1. mary615 profile image92
    mary615posted 5 years ago

Since I'm told Google picks up a key word or sentence from your opening paragraph, I try to do that; however, when I write a poem it isn't always possible to do that.  Should I begin with a text that explains the poem in order to put in some key words?  Thanks.

1. Hyphenbird profile image95
      Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Use the Summary capsule to write a couple sentences previewing your poems. That is a great way to introduce a writing. Poetry is a genre of story telling and should be presented in the same manner as a long story. You will probably be surprised to find more viewers are reading the poems. Some people like poetry but don't really "get" it and a summary provides a little insight. Let us know how this all turns out.

1. Cagsil profile image82
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A Summary is different than writing an Introduction to the Poem someone plans to write.

2. Cagsil profile image82
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have written a couple of introductions to a couple of my poems. Introductions are not necessary with regards to keywords, but are likely to have some in it, because you're talking about the poem to begin with. The Introduction just adds more content to the page.

You don't have to write the Introduction in the same manner that you would write the Summary for the hub.

1. Pearldiver profile image85
        Pearldiverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't find that is the case at all. Though I do agree with your earlier post on the difference between writing summaries and writing an intro. smile

@sofs thank you.. good to see you too.. thanks for your kind words. I might start writing poetry here again in November smile

2. Pearldiver profile image85
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Of course it is possible to do that.

I have been doing this since I first published poetry here and in those days hardly anyone did this. If you want to ENGAGE your readers and have them read your works in the context that you write them in... then your intro gains you the ability to 'Walk' your readers through the experience of your poetry.

Consider this: That your Intro can be akin to having 3D glasses at a 3D movie! smile

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

and PD you have been an expert at that .. good to see you back smile

3. mary615 profile image92
    mary615posted 5 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice.  I have gone back and edited my poetry with a little intro about what the poem is about, and actually I think I like that. It gives the reader a little insight as to the content of the poem without "giving it away entirely".  Sometimes, I think we people who love to write poetry assume that because we understand what we're saying, everyone else will, too.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think it makes more sense to discuss the point after giving someone the chance to read it rather than before.

5. Jeshrash profile image61
    Jeshrashposted 5 years ago

Writing has a big contribution in our life especially if we learn something that we could apply to real life. We need to write with all the passion and just be respectful with the others opinion.Writing is a big key to start a new beginning.