Do shortened URLs make good backlinks?

1. arizonataylor profile image83
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

I know that Hubpages provides a shortened URL for each hub, because of Twitter's character limitations.  I've also noticed that more people have been clicking on my shortened URL than the long-tail chained full versions of my hub URLs.  Because of this, I've used some of the shortened URLs in other locations other than Twitter.  I'm starting to wonder if this is a mistake though.  Can a short URL really be beneficial for backlinking, or should I be using the full URL for backlinking purposes?  Specifically, I'm referring to backlinking on forums that allow backlinks and that actually show the URL address.

2. Cagsil profile image85
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I would think that both are good. I am more inclined to think that the actual location where the backlink is setup to begin with plays more of a factor than the actual link itself.

But then again, I don't know as much as I'd like to know about backlinking. lol

3. arizonataylor profile image83
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

I get better short-term results, in the way of traffic, when I use a shortened URL.  In the long run, for better Google rankings, I'm wondering if a shortened URL works as well as a full URL.

I tend to agree with your statement, but I really don't have any evidence that we're right.