jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Google Adsense and Sub-domain question?

1. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Okay, I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I went to Google Adsense day before yesterday and I inserted my new hub into the URL Channels.

When I inserted it, I also decided to check my URL channels against all of my existing hubs and found that I had a couple of hubs that were not listed under my URL channel list. This wasn't a problem. At least I did think it was.

So, I started inserting hub URLs to make them URL channels and then noticed that I accidentally added a duplicate URL. Yes, I know Google Adsense kicks back anything that is a duplicate, however, this particular hub was accepted.

The NEW sub-domain made it a different URL as far as Google Adsense was concerned, so that means that I would have two URL channels tracking the same hub. This I found odd.

However, since the sub-domain switch....I didn't think it mattered with regards to the URL channels or even the custom channel assignment.

But, now I'm not so sure. To make a long story short, I transferred all my URL channels over to the new sub-domain URLs, but now Google Adsense doesn't seem to be tracking them?

Do I have to change the "custom" channel? And, if so, what do I change it to? All the other(old) URL channels have been deleted/removed, not just deactivated, so I cannot get them back.

I'll check back on this thread in the morning, due to the fact I am going to bed. Just wanted to post this and see if anyone can possibly make sense of it.

Thank you in advance.

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

No one has an answer?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I do not have the foggiest and am, therefore, unable to help sad

Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's okay Hollie. Your post bumped the thread back to the top of the forum threads. So it was helpful anyways. smile

2. theherbivorehippi profile image84
      theherbivorehippiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Cagsil,

I didn't change any of my channels with the subdomain switch and everything has continued to track the same so I'm afraid I don't have any answer for you. sad

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
        Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ditto!  smile

2. Cagsil profile image82

Yeah, I know. Everything was tracking fine. But, when I created new hubs and inserted for new URL channels, it didn't seem right, due to the sub-domain. I guess that's what I get for not publishing hubs that often. hmm

3. wordscribe43 profile image95
    wordscribe43posted 5 years ago

My only thought is perhaps it's a time factor.  Adsense stats seem to be a bit sluggish these past few days.  It can take a bit for the new tracking to kick in.

I switched all mine over not too long ago, but it went off without a hitch.  I didn't create any custom channels, just used URL tracking.  I seem to remember the stats weren't available immediately.  And, as I said I've seen sluggish stats this week.  Just a guess, Cags...

4. Topnewhottoys profile image59
    Topnewhottoysposted 5 years ago

Cags - you have posed an interesting question.

Like others, I haven't messed with my adsense channels since the subdomain switch. I use URL tracking, and assumed, (I know...), all would be good because of HP's auto-URL redirect. Now you have me wondering -geez, as if I don't already have a full plate.

I am also waiting for Google analytics data collection to see if I have created another mess. I added analytics tracking for each subdomain account, whereas  before it was one main HP account. Now to see if that worked.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I now use adsense's new "site" data to see where trafiic, claick and earnings come from.  I find that a lot easier than having to set up channels for each url.

Hey Psyche, if you don't set up individual URL channels, then you won't know more details about your clicks/earnings. Especially if you tie your Google Adsense to Google Analytics. wink

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think that used to be the case but the new interface tracks clicks, earning etc by url automatically.  So unless you are running a campaign with certain ad types on certain urls, channels aren't as necessary as they used to be.

Oh okay. wink

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, that was interesting! I didn't even know the "site" thingie was there, but found one view from a referral that signed up ages ago and has written 2 hubs.  Guess that's still working, anyway.

6. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I'm still looking for an answer? hmm

7. BakerRambles profile image85
    BakerRamblesposted 2 years ago

Two years have gone by. Bump here but now, I don't know the answer either? Cagsil could you help me with mine?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You don't really need channels any more because Adsense tracks by URL automatically.