jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Clueless newbie needs feedback.

1. Jen Whitten profile image60
    Jen Whittenposted 8 years ago

Okay, all my days seem to blend together so this is either day 4 or day 5 here and I've posted 3 hubs...pretty sure they're all crap from a money-making perspective - which is okay, I guess, as long as they're not crap from a writing perspective.

Then again, I wouldn't be opposed to making some cash so I need some help.  Here's what I've got:

This one is a poem so I don't expect there to be much I can do with it.

This one is a 10 tips kinda thing
    http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Tips-to-Avoi … letoe-Kiss

This one is about National Novel Writing Month and probably the best of the 3...but I'm not objective about my work really.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Stay-San … -NaNoWriMo

One of the things I'd specifically like feedback about is proper length.  Am I too long-winded?  Do I need to bulk these babies up?  Do I somehow need to do both?

Thanks in advance for taking a look at these fledgeling hubs...

2. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Jen, I think your length is OK, but if you want readers to find you,  have a think about your titles.

The title should be the words someone would type into a search engine if they were looking for the info in your Hub.

Do people actually type "NaNoWriMo"?

If they do, then; you're OK. If not, you may want to reconsider your title, and go for something like "How To Survive National Novel Writing Month" instead.

Jen Whittenposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Okay, this is completely crazy, but according to the keyword tracker thingy, 98 more people will search for NaNoWriMo than they will for National Novel Writing Month.  I didn't expect that one.  I guess maybe it's one of those things where you either know what it is and are looking for info on it or you don't know what it is and you don't care.

But I am definitely going to keep your suggestions in mind for my next hubs.  I think I was more focused on making the titles fresh than I was on making them searchable.

3. Jim Hickey profile image73
    Jim Hickeyposted 8 years ago

Good Morning,

One other suggestion on titles and your Hub description entry; you might want to use a keyword search tool to help formulate your title and create more pull.  Here is a free site you might want to investigate:

I absolutely LOVE that tracker.  Thank you so much! big_smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

On the keyword thing - also bear in mind that you don't have to accept the URL that HubPages creates.   For the NaNoWriMo one, for instance, you could have changed it to

Short url's are handy if you want to tell someone about the Hub, or if you want to post a link somewhere.

Unfortunately you can only change it during initial setup - after that, you just have to live with it!

*mouth open, no words*

I can't believe that didn't occur to me.  I feel so dumb for missing the obvious.

Oh well...lesson learned. smile