jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Referral Traffic

1. 0
    SmartyPensposted 4 years ago

The overwhelming majority of traffic to my hubs is from referrals. Is this true for anyone else? I have noticed a few hubs of mine in particular get search engine traffic, but I would like that search engine traffic to increase quite a bit, but I have only been here six weeks ...

I at least earn a little bit of money every day now.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For myself, no.  The vast majority is search engine traffic.

Where are your referrals coming from?  Inside HP or from backlinks you have provided?  HP traffic will mostly die off in time, but at the same time you can expect organic traffic to increase if you have done your homework on keywords and SEO.

I don't think six weeks is particularly long to wait for SE traffic, but you should start seeing more soon.

1. 0
        SmartyPensposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My traffic is coming from referrals from other hubbers. I have backlinks to hubs in my own hubs as well. I do my keyword research. I probably have to do more homework on SEO ...

I notice that when I add quotations around my keyword strings on the Google homepage, I end up higher in Google search results, but most people don't use those quotations in search.

Many of those referrals will disappear as well as HP traffic.  They are often coming from the "related" hubs section and eventually your hub will probably be removed from those as other hubs are written and come available.

Using quote marks tells google to use those exact words in exactly that order.  Of course you will get better results; there won't be many other articles that use the exact phrase.

On the other hand, neither do searchers.  The end result is that it is more accurate to use no marks when trying to determine where your hub is in the SE because searchers don't either.

In addition, if you use the keyword tool, you will find that there are far fewer searches for your exact phrase than for the general phrase without quotes.  You may well rank high for a specific phrase, but if no one searches for it it won't do much good.

1. 0

Thank for spreading the knowledge, Wilderness, especially about the referral traffic being temporary.

You're welcome, but don't misunderstand about those temporary referrals.

Most of my hubs show an occasional referral from another subdomain.  The key word is occasional; they are never enough to show up on my HP stats, just the individual hub stats for a day or week.

They are worth something, but not a great deal when compared to SE visits.  More importantly, they are indicative that the links are there and adding to the "juice" that places hubs higher on the SE results.  They are definitely worthwhile and it pays to use good relevant tags to get HP to place them around.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

24 hubs in six weeks. Not bad at all! smile

1. 0

Thanks paradigm smile  I knew I would never get the 30 in 30, though I was tempted to try!

3. dungeonraider profile image84
    dungeonraiderposted 4 years ago

Some referral sites that rely on voting up models could give you referral traffic for longer as the article stays in view there.

4. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 4 years ago

Search Engine Traffic can come over night if you choose the right subjects. Regardless what some people feel about Panda's effects on HP rankings, I've still seen other hubbers hubs ranking on page 1 and I have one which is 1st for its keyword and is receiving nearly 2,000 visits a day at present.

1. David 470 profile image86
      David 470posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. Pick the right subjects and use the keywords correctly.

Not all my hubs are successful, but I have quite a few that went very high in views overnight.

I still have a hub from 2010 that is bringing in a couple hundred to several hundred views a day. For some reason, that hub was never severely affected by the Feb. 2011 Google Panda.