jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

Links to hubs in fan mail

1. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

This is something I have only seen in the last few weeks, but newbies are starting to post the link to their first hub when leaving fan mail. Much as I appreciate the fan mail, I have started to deny them.

Personally, I don't like it as I believe that fan mail should be about appreciating the hubber you are starting to follow, rather than self-promotion, but what do other hubbers think?

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

Fan mail is designed to tell someone why you like their work. If I see anything even slightly self promotional in fan mail such as "Nice hubs, please follow me" I automatically deny it.

1. CMHypno profile image90
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This seems to be a new twist on the 'follow me back, follow me back' self-promotion method.  I don't follow too many people on HP, as it takes time to read hubs, make comments, tweet etc, so I restrict it to those hubbers whose work I genuinely enjoy and appreciate.

I know from my own traffic stats that most of the 700 or so of my followers never actually read any of my hubs, so what's the point?

1. profile image0
        Ginny Kingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I try my best, to follow and read. However, it does not leave me a lot of time to write . My point is, we are writers not readers. So let´s just support each other and expect nothing in return.

Referring to a hubber as a "newbie" might be construed as  derogatory.

1. QuestionMaster profile image89
          QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Traditional online protocol I believe refers to:

-Newbie as a new member.
          -N00b or noobie as derogatory term for a new member.

2. CMHypno profile image90
          CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No offence was meant by the term 'newbie'.  It is a widely used and accepted term on HP.

My point is, that if you leave a self-promotional link on another hubbers account then you are expecting something in return. Just as following someone just so that they will follow you back is expecting something in return.

When you follow someone and leave fan mail, in my opinion it should be because you like that hubber and admire their writing

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

I have no hesitation when it comes to denying self-promotionall fan mail.

4. HikeGuy profile image84
    HikeGuyposted 5 years ago

CMHypno -- I think the purpose of fan mail  is to express appreciation, not to seek attention. I've noticed accepted fan mail on a few profiles with the "I'm following you, now follow me" message and it just looks tacky.

That kind of behavior probably comes out of cluelessness from newcomers fumbling around looking for ways to get followers and traffic.

I'm still feeling my way when it comes to the nuances of interacting online. I've always been extremely uncomfortable with self-promotion, so it took me until last month to begin using Twitter effectively. Losing half of my few followers the first week was mortifying -- I didn't do anything horrible, I just didn't have clue one about how to use Twitter. There's a learning curve to all this.

Denying self-promotional "fan mail" seems the best strategy, because it's not beneficial to encourage that kind of behavior. Also, when I put my profile page through an analyzer, there are already too many links on it. I don't want non-relevant links on it, any more than I'd allow them in comments.

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Uh-oh, now I'm wondering if I should delete the convenience links that I put on the top of mine.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I looked to see and they are quite cute but not if any use whatsoever to you. I doubt if they do any harm, but then again, who I am to judge? Mrs Original Plunger!

Your home page has a PR3 which would make a really nice backlink for anything you have written off HP.

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
          paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've been thinking about adding my FB and Twit accounts there...

1. IzzyM profile image87

Might do you more good that what you have there just now!

Your home page is your spotlight for your work.

If you include links to the speaking clock or whatever, folks are off there and away from your hubs.

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

It doesn't bother me. It makes there work more easily accessible. smile

6. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 5 years ago

If a fan mail seems to be self promoting, just deny it.  I only follow people whose writing I admire, or that I have a lot in common with.  If we have things in common, I know I will enjoy reading their work.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I've never had a hubber send me fan mail with a link, does it hyperlink or go to http something?

1. QuestionMaster profile image89
      QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It hyperlinks.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks! Well, in that case, I would reject it.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

In fact, that just reminded me, I always rejected hub comments with links, until someone got quite upset over it, after that I thought well...what the hell...if its not an obvious spammer, let them link.

The my subdomain fell.

Guess who's going to do a bit of editing tomorrow, just in case.

working