jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Why are so many religious Forums?

1. 0
    PhenomWriterposted 4 years ago

I have seen a trend to post forum threads that talk specifically on religion. Is there any secret?

1. Topnewhottoys profile image60
      Topnewhottoysposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Of course there is. Haven't you ever heard - "God only knows"?

On the other hand, It's always a lively topic because there are no gray areas. Responders are usually from the choir or the ramparts.

2. kmackey32 profile image82
      kmackey32posted 4 years ago in reply to this

IDK but they SUCK...lol

2. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago

If it's a trend, then it's one that's at least two years old 'cos that's how long I've been a member and it's been the same all the while I've been here!

Personally I find it totally baffling why people would want to talk about their religious convictions (or the lack thereof) - it's not as if anyone can come up with objective evidence to back up such beliefs. Religion is very much in the realm of the subjective and as such is IMO a private matter for the individual.

After all, I dislike beetroot but I don't feel the need to try and proselytise about it and persuade other people to dislike it too.

3. 0
    PhenomWriterposted 4 years ago

Totally agree with both of you. What if, as it is a sensitive matter, some people willingly exploit that to hurt people?

4. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

There are people who like to argue.

There are people who like to debate.

There are people who like to bait others.

There are people who like to be mean to others.

There are people who are trying to help others (almost always a lost cause).

This list is not complete.

Religion and politics is where people go to do that.

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Totally in agreement!

5. 0
    Wilfionposted 4 years ago

I think human beings like to talk about the big issues.  There is only so much trivia that can be discussed, before boredom sets in.  The mind needs something to get it thinking and to feel passionate about.  Religion and questions of the meaning of life have the best chance to create a discussion, because most people have views on them.  If a minority interest topic were opened, such as the latest knitting styles, there would be few who would respond, and even fewer who would feel strongly enough to argue about which is the best knitting pattern.  The fact that most people want to know why we are here and what the point of life is, will ensure any forum topic about such a question will always be popular.