jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

I am wondering something about links.

1. Moon Willow Lake profile image80
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 4 years ago

I know normally there cannot be more than 2 links to any one site on one hub.

So, my question is, does that also count for links back to hubpages?

For example, if I have two links back to myself and say 2 links to other hubbers' hubs, then is that considered 4 links (over the 2 limit) back to the same website?

I'm going through and updating all of my hubs now, and I would really like to make all the necessary changes at once before signing up for the new ad program.

1. molometer profile image85
      molometerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The number of links refers to the same link in the same hub. So if you link to the same hub 3 times that's a no no but you can link to more than 2 external links if they are all different websites or different pages on the same website.
      For further details check out the help section top right on this page.
      Hope this helps you.

Moon Willow Lakeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank-you for the response, but I just referred to a different question I asked the hub-page staffers back in Feb 2011. To quote a part of that email, the staffer said, "Generally, we ask that a cites a domain no more than 2 times."

What that means is that if I link to site1.com/page1; site1.com/page2; and site1.com/page3, I would be violating the policy even though I'm linking to different pages because all 3 pages are on the same domain.

So, what I'm wondering is, do they count linking back to hubpages in their link counts?

I hope that helped to clarify! big_smile

1. QuestionMaster profile image88
          QuestionMasterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You cannot link more than twice to any EXTERNAL domain. If you look at some people who happily use every suggestion used by the link suggestion tool, you'll see people who indiscriminately put 10+ hubpages links into their hubs (which of course looks very messy and achieves little but isn't really against the rules.)

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

What you are referring to is the rule that you may only have 2 links to the same domain in one hub.  You may provide 2 in-text links to Amazon but if you add a third, even though it is not the same product and carries a different URL, it is against the rule.

In general, this rule only applies to commercial or promotional sites.  For instance, you may link to wikipedia a dozen times if you want and the same holds true for nearly any similar authority site.  A dozen links to your blog, however, is taboo as it carries ads.  A recent hub I saw linking several times to a site promoting a particular doctor was also deemed in violation.

An exception is made for HubPages, for obvious reasons.  Put in as many links as you wish to anywhere on HubPages or any of it's subdomains, including your own (and mine! smile ).

I might add that if I only have 2 intext links to my own hubs (plus an RSS feed!) it was from oversight, not because I meant to limit them.

Thank-you for the response. You are correct that this is what I'm referring to. Since I have already updated most of my hubs (mostly for how many Amazon items I have in relation to how many words I have), I am feeling better that it looks like I don't need to go back to tweak them even more! Many of my hubs have two in-text links back to my profile, links in a link capsule to other hubbers' hubs, and links in a link capsule to my other hubs. It sounds like that's all OK since it's all on the hubpages domain.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As long as all the links are relevant to the hub you should be OK.  HP has begun cracking down on links to things that don't relate to the hub, though, so indiscriminate links to other hubs can cause trouble.  Use of the link tool usually results in the software finding a keyword of another hub and suggesting it, but that other hub could well be on another subject entirely.

I have an RSS feed on each hub, but am careful to use tags to make sure that the hubs that show up in that feed are relevant and similar to the hub the feed is on.  You could have trouble as your profile probably isn't particularly relevant to the hub, but I suppose it could be worked in somehow.

Thanks for the information!

I probably spend more time than most, but I'm picky, so I actually will not link to anyone else's hub unless I've read it, agree with it, and feel that it either supports and/or is close to my hub's topic.

When I use the link capsule to link back to my own hubs, I link back only to other hubs that are in that same group. In that way, they are sort-of "similar" since they all belong in the same group.

The reason I link back to my own profile is because I once read an article that stated linking back to yourself can help deter scrapers. If someone comes along and directly copies my content on to their site, it is hoped/thought that Google is more likely to "punish" them in the rankings if I have say the word "me" and "myself" linked back to me as that clearly identifies who I am.
          I also take the viewpoint that since I am the author of the hubs, my profile is relevant since I'm the one who wrote them (smiles).

I also decided to contact HubPages staff and they just got back to me recently. They said that all links back to HubPages are exempt from the 2 link rule so we can have all the links back to HugPages we desire (within common sense and relevant reason, obviously).

Thanks again everyone!

3. molometer profile image85
    molometerposted 4 years ago

Well I would say that is a definitive answer. Well done guys.