jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Can we beat out Youtube?

1. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

I recently made a minor change in keywords on a hub that resulted in doubling its traffic and decided to look at all my better hubs and with that thought in mind cranked up the title tuner.

The very first hub showed I was missing the word "how" so with that in mind I searched for my primary long tailed keyword with that word added appropriately.  I found that I was in position 7 (not too bad) and that the first 6 results were all from Youtube.  While that may be extreme I know I have many hubs in this position - they rank well but always behind a few Youtube videos.

Question: Am I just spinning my wheels trying to pass Youtube when Panda so clearly loves them?  Is anyone being successful in outranking these masses of silly videos that are thrown together in 15 minutes and actually show very little?

Would it help to make my own video, upload it to Youtube and embed it in the hub?  A lot of work for dubious results - is anyone finding it valuable?

1. Michael Graves profile image60
      Michael Gravesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am not familiar enough with HubPages or experienced enough here to give you hard data about it's usefulness, but I will say that, based on my knowledge of inter-website exposure, making a YouTube video and embedding it in your Hub would probably help to improve traffic significantly, if you have the time and energy to do it. One important thing is to remember to post a link back to your Hub in the description of the video, as well. That way, any YouTube traffic that comes across your video can link back to your Hub for further reading.

wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know you could put a link in YouTube - I've never tried making a video.

A good thought, though.  If I do make some, I'll be sure to include a link.

2. lobobrandon profile image81
      lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi wilderness. If the videos are of no help the people will turn over to text. Yours is first in line so you shouldn't worry. Don't waste time making videos

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image90
      Mikel G Robertsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Creating a video about the same subject matter as your Hub. Posting that video on You tube, embedding the same video in your hub and backlinking the youtube video to your hub video.... hmm

2. David 470 profile image86
    David 470posted 4 years ago

A lot of my hubs are based on videogames and youtube often beats me on certain terms.

It would actually benefit me if I made videos, but I don't really have that great of a computer at the moment and I don't know much about making videos.

I was actually invited to the youtube partner program. I was a couple years ago too, but they did not accept it. Why do they invite me if they don't accept?

How can a person prove it's their videos and not someone eleses?

3. TerryGl profile image59
    TerryGlposted 4 years ago

It is easy to beat YT videos. Most only get their position with a few backlinks. All you need do is out backlink them and you will overtake them.

I put up a hub titled How To Get A Hubpage Indexed In Google Fast that show's you how to use free Animoto to make a quick video and where to put your backlink if your unsure.

It is true, that if you make a video on your hub and the video ranks well, it will drag your hub up to near number 1. I show actual proof of that in the hub as well.

I love seeing YT vids in the top positions for keywords as I know they can easily be outranked.

wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You may well be right - backlinking is something I do very little of.  I think I've made just 5 or 6 to that hub, and I've picked up another half dozen organic backlinks but that's it.

I really don't want to have to make a video if I want a hub to do well.  That would require a lot more time and effort than I really want to put into most hubs.  I will often grab someone else's to use, though.  Personally I don't like sitting through a video but I know many people do.

4. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

What Mikel said.

I've got a steady trickle of traffic to some of my articles where I've created a complementary YouTube video whose title reinforces the topic, and the link back to my article at the beginning of the video description. Just in case some toad copies my vid, I've also got the URL in the credits at the end of the vid.

This doesn't work for everything, but it's worked swimmingly for educational topics.  (For example: Google "Why Do Things Float?")  Of course, sometimes the video outranks the article, which is sad when the video earns no cash, but it always attracts a small bit of traffic to the mother article and might even count as a backlink.