jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)

Where do we find information about the new photo albums?

1. homesteadbound profile image89
    homesteadboundposted 5 years ago

There is a new heading on the my account page called photos. It has all the photos I have used in all my hubs, and since I have used some more than once, they appear more than once. I was considering deleting the extras but then feared that they may disappear from the hubs in which they were used. Does anyone have any info on this new feature?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

The feature is not necessarily new. You should not delete duplicate photos that are in use, since the system treats them as separate images.

homesteadboundposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I'm glad I asked the question before doing anything. If it's not new, I'm curious, where was it hidden, or have just overlooked the heading on the accounts page?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, I don't know what you have seen and not seen. There are interface changes from time to time, but the feature as such is not new. It is not very, very old; but has been around for several months.

I have not been here long, and I am still learning new things every day. I am just now getting comfortable enough to feel like when I am asking a question it may not be totally dumb. I had just never seen it before. Thanks

1. profile image0

Not dumb at all, merely observant. Some people have been members a lot longer without ever checking out the site, really.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Uh-oh. Are you sure? I've deleted "hundreds" of my duplicate image demarcation bars. As far as I know, none of the bars in the corresponding hubs have disappeared. Do I need to go check some more, or did I misunderstand?

1. profile image0

I think that would depend on how the duplicate was created, whether re-use of an existing image or a new upload.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89

re-use.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image60
        Jerrico Usherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I won't delete a single image just in case it ends up dissappearing from my hub. As they are treated as seperate images deleting it could remove the specific image on one of your hubs using it. ALthough the image is the same the actual image is considered it's own entity- so why risk it?

3. ThoughtSandwiches profile image85
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 5 years ago

I have absolutely nothing constructive to add.  I did, however, stop in to commend Website Examiner....you are awesome with the answers!  Thanks!  I would be inspired to follow you and hit the follow button...but...I was already inspired and did so earlier.  Once again...thanks for the great (and crazy quick) answers!

1. profile image0

ThoughtSandwiches, you are kind. I have not been in the forums for quite some time (incidentally due to starting a forum for creative writers); what little knowledge I have that is still up to date I'm happy to share.

2. homesteadbound profile image89

I too am happy to be following you. I am going to have to go check out your forum soon. Thanks to both of you for your answers.

4. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

And come to think of it, if I were to delete the one-and-only original, then ALL my hub bars would disappear!!!???!!!

1. profile image0

As far as I have understood, photos deleted from albums remain hosted on the site. I just think that if the photo is in use, and especially if it was a new upload rather than re-use, it is prudent not to remove it from the album.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89

Actually, I just thought of a quick way to make a test... I'm gonna go delete a non-dup photo album pic in the photo album and see if it's then still there in a hub that I don't care about.

1. profile image0

Good idea. The question is when HubPages, if ever, will sync the hubs with the albums.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image60
        Jerrico Usherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yea a re-use image would be renamed in the system to another number- if it weren't they wouldn't be able to seperate it from another hub using the same image. If you check out my "how to create hoplinks in your hubs" page you'll see the technology they use to syndicate your image into suggestions etc...

and sometimes a search lands you in the center of a hub- that's due to a token that's created via the image itself (#img_url_image name number (first 5))...

(the same concept is used to bounce you down the page upon loading to the comments section via your email link to "you've got a new comment" (that one uses a token #comment with some number associated with an image or element near the top of comments and the same with "answers" (questions asked you replied to) #answer371187 (number relates to an element near the latest answer likely their image renamed to that number on that page)...

since every image on every hub- even dupes are renamed when reused or uploaded even the same image- the image name is unique- it has to be. Just a heads up.

working