Can anyone recommend a good camera system for my home?

1. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 4 years ago

Last week my car was spray painted and a tire slashed. I have had 3 bikes stolen that where my younger kids and last night the one night I forget to lock my car up someone got in and trashed the whole inside. I suspect my daughters boyfriend. He is a drug addict and was arrested a couple months ago for robbing out of vehicles but I can not prove it if someone does not see him or its not on camera. I have had enough.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sorry to hear you are going through this.

I had a sort of CCTV system in my last home. It was just a tiny wee outdoor surveillance camera that I hooked up to an 8 hour video recorder. It cost pennies in Makro (similar to Costco)and was black and white with no sound.

It still caught a burglar going into next door's garden in the middle of the night, and returning laden with goods. The police went off with that tape, no idea what happened after that as I moved house.

We had good street lighting there, so much more wasn't really needed.

I would suggest a good movement-activated night security light - you can get some great solar powered ones if the area is away from the house.

Site a surveillance camera overlooking the area that will light up, any cheap one will do.

Don't know if you still have video tapes, or if everything is digital now, but find a way to set it to record. If it has one of those daft red lights, see if you can camouflage it, but then again it won't matter too much if someone breaks it, if you already have caught them on camera.

You don't have to spend a fortune on this. Hope you get him good!