jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Followers and following

1. MamaNeedsJava profile image90
    MamaNeedsJavaposted 4 years ago

I'm not much of a joiner and intensely tech unsavvy.  Is following the equivalent of "friending" on one of the sites that immediately adopted the Facebook terminology when it took off? 

The HubPages FAQ warns against following indiscriminately as it may negatively impact my HubScore.  I've seen several people with rather intense following numbers and also high HubScores.  Is there a point when you reach Cassanova follower status and indiscriminate following actually helps? 

School me please and feel free to layer in significant innuendo.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is simple. smile

Do not follow for the purpose of being followed.

Do follow when somewhere, sometime down the line you think that person may provide something of value to you.

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

I only follow people that have articles I want to read - if you "follow" a lot of people and don't read and comment on their articles, it will lower your hubberscore. Follow the people you honestly want to read, but don't get caught up in the "he followed me, so now I must follow him back" type of mentality.

1. Danette Watt profile image87
      Danette Wattposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. There have been several times when someone has followed me and I've gone to read some of their hubs just to see who they are. I couldn't follow a couple people because they were such poor writers, I didn't want my name to associated with them.

3. homesteadbound profile image89
    homesteadboundposted 4 years ago

It is good to follow people whose work you enjoy reading or whose works you gain benefit from. The benefit could be as simple as seeing how a successful person writes, or puts together their hubs, etc.
    I have seen people with very few followers who have high hubs scores. So I don't think followers has a effect on your hubscore.
    The people that you see with lots of followers have probably been here a while, or have a blog or outside source that has directed traffic here, or has been involved in the forums or left good comments and said something that made their followers want to follow them. Their are many things to consider. But I think the most important thing to consider is to write quality hubs.

4. MamaNeedsJava profile image90
    MamaNeedsJavaposted 4 years ago

Thanks.  This makes sense.

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 4 years ago

I have only one rule of thumb when it comes to following....I follow who I like.  Period.  After that I never give it another thought.