jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Why I do not care about Hub Karma

1. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 4 years ago

I am literally today seeing more than 100 Broken links.  These are links to other hubs that Hubpages has removed or the publishers have chosen to remove.

It's not worth the time and effort to manually remove all of these dead links.  And dead links kill your page in the eyes of Google. They say to Google this page has no value and is not maintained.

So the marginal boost that may occur is simply not worth all the maintenance.

Until Hubpages comes up with a way to automatically remove the dead links that exist on their own Network is simply is not worth the extra effort.

This sucks for other Hubbers who make quality hubs worth interlinking. But Google is King.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mike, HubKarma has always been a pointless waste of time.  The score means nothing - it doesn't affect your other scores and doesn't help you earn income. 

The thing is, if you find a Hub that really adds value to your own Hub, you'll link to it anyway.  HubKarma just encourages Hubbers to link for the sake of linking - and then you have hundreds of links.  That creates a rod for your back because some of those Hubs are bound to get removed - especially if you didn't check them carefully to make sure you were linking to a high quality Hub that didn't break any TOS.

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 4 years ago

Hubkarma, hubscore and author score are all close to pointless numbers no matter what reason you give for it.

It's the traffic & earnings that count.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

That said, a broken link is an error on the page, and the content on our hubs is our responsibility.  IMHO not wanting to fix it suggests not really caring if the hubs are good or not...?

1. lokoyizone profile image80
      lokoyizoneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

With respect, Mike, I disagree, like the current system.  I'd rather be made aware of the broken links and allowed to fix them myself rather than have HubPages use some program to automatically remove them!

100 broken links sounds like a helluva lot!  smile

Are they really broken links you've got, or links that break other rules, such as three or more linking to an external site?

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I get a few now and then.  If you look for them daily, they are easy to keep up with.  Sometimes I can replace them with something just as relevant, sometimes I can't.  Sometimes I have to change some wording or even delete a sentence, but so what?  It takes a few seconds.

5. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

This thread has just reminded me that I've got a hub with over 200 profile page links in it! I think I better go there and peruse it...