How are individual hubs scored?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. VeronicaFarkas profile image69
    VeronicaFarkasposted 12 years ago

Mine fluctuate, regardless of the amount of views, votes (up/down), and feedback. (I'm talking about hubs that have been published for a period of time)? I've searched & searched, and can not find an explanation. Any ideas?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A pair of dice is rolled 27 times and the numbers recorded on 27 pieces of paper.  All 12's are set aside; 10 becomes 0 and 11 becomes 1. 

They are put into a steel bowl and mixed; 2 are withdrawn. 

The remaining digits in the bowl are burned in a voodoo ceremony while the 2 digits are shuffled and randomly arranged into a 2 digit number which becomes your hub score. 

Some claim 100 is possible, but I've never seen it and don't believe it.

Now you may disbelieve, but it's about as good an explanation as you're going to get. tongue

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
        LindaSmith1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably right Wilderness.. I have seen scores in the 80's and it is garbage.  Others in the 50's that are really great.

I have come to the conclusion:
        1/2 dozen videos
        No content
        Right keywords

2. Danette Watt profile image81
        Danette Wattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

to Wilderness -- lol

to LindaSmith1 - I totally agree about some garbage having 80s and some good content having 50s.

3. Jerrico Usher profile image56
        Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's pretty funny!

I know that traffic is the biggest one, format is a big one too, length, or basically overall SEO, and I believe although we're on hubpages our individual pages still acquire a Google ranking.

That rank may be part of how HP scores the hub(s) and overall hubs average (author score)...

The life of the hub is also a factor- meaning how traffic, ranking, etc... fare overall for the life of the hub.

Paul also mentioned there was an "X" factor involved so, and I quote "don't worry about any cause effect relationships you may see there" - (I don't know how to take that information lol, because cause effect is a huge part of it or you'd not be able to raise your score by improving your hub!)

The bottom line is the hub scores goal is to make your page better for ranking individually and as it relates to your account and the site at large...

I notice the biggest hops in my hub score is when traffic starts to get up there and especially when the comment conversations of OFF hubpages visitors jumps and becomes consistent i.e. 10 comments a day. My hub hitting a million hits seemed to make it's score stagnant at 85-95 without any work on my part though... but if traffic died off that score would plummet...

Some things to think about:

Off hubpages links OUT of the page help SEO and the hubscore i.e. linking out to a high PR page like wikipedia for refrencing what your saying, helps your SEO so I'd think your HS too. MOST hubbers I assume don't link out of their hub to high pr sites for reference.

I also notice my hubs with 400 words (out the gate) start at 45-55 hubscore but when I write a hub 1k words or more it's hub score is much higher out the gate. (that's without formatting i.e. images, headers, etc...)

When I put up what I call a "plain" hub- just words not headers (seperate capsules), no images, videos etc... the hub score starts incredibly low (40-45).

I think time on page for your visitors is a component too- so adding videos near the beginning of the hub helps with that, and it primers them for a boring topic they may have to learn about (boring to them exciting to you? i.e. brain science).

Hubs I build with FULL formatting and SEO (links to other hubs, links off hubpages to wikipedia etc...LSI's etc...) generally start off in the upper 80's then with traffic flooding and comment convo's going (off hubpages mainly) the score goes up- but I've never seen my hubs reach past 96 or my hubscore past 95....

Hope this helps smile

1. capricornrising profile image61
          capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy cow, Jerrico - this should be a hub! I would have voted it up if it were.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your HubScores are doing what they were designed to do.

And the FAQ (the "help" link at the top of every page) offers this

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscorecalc

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
        LindaSmith1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relache: I disagree with you on that one. I have seen high scores for hubs that are one or tw0o short paragraphs, less than 300 words, a nice pic, and a video slapped in there.  Now tell us how a no content hub gets a high score.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But I can bet you they aren't earning anything...

2. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

How far did you look? The best explanation you're going to get is in the FAQ:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscorecalc

3. Dena22 profile image60
    Dena22posted 12 years ago

That was funny wilderness response lmao. I have noticed the same thing yesterday my score was 75 today its 71 that is some weird stuff.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Dena, is your picture that way because you're unable to fix it? Or did you do that on purpose?

If you would like, I can fix it for you?

Btw- Welcome to Hubpages! smile

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
        Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've had to play with images a bunch of times, sometimes if I want an image to show up in full I found adding a border around it or shrinking the image then adding a white border around it will make it possible to fit in the HP rectangle lol...

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I have noticed a hubscore will often rise between the time you begin to make it and actually publish it. Sometimes the increase is quite considerable.
    Just a hunch and no evidence for this but I would not be surprised to  discover the usefulness of the hub for advertising purposes contributed to some of the Hubscore, I think it would make business sense to do that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)