Share a photo or art

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

This came out of a posting thread of Cagsil in the Sandpit:

Ya'know, Cagsgil, this could be a great new feature for Hubpages.
    Let hubbers, who are willing to contribute "stock" photos or artwork of their own-- to which they own all rights-- and let them be used without restriction (with name credit) by any registered hubbers.
    It would be a backlink for hubbers and a resource for people who want free photos and art for their hubs. What do you think?

1. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle and Cags  cool idea cool

2. Just_Rodney profile image69
      Just_Rodneyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool Idea

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

+1

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+2 smile

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 12 years ago

+3

4. Cagsil profile image70

*bumping this thread*

5. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

Bump smile

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Thanks, you two. Anyone else have an idea about this or are you just as happy with creative commons and wikipedia?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having an "in-house" application would be awesome. smile

7. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Community Members,

What do you think of this idea? Your input is necessary. smile

8. europewalker profile image79
    europewalkerposted 12 years ago

That would be a great help!

It would be a great help to the community to have an in-house share a photo or art, to supply pictures for hubs. smile

9. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

I think that it's a fantabulous idea!

10. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I like this idea. I believe it would eliminate some of the photo violations as hubbers may chooses photos from our gallery first.

11. FaithDream profile image78
    FaithDreamposted 12 years ago

I think this is a great idea. I also like Cagsil's idea on having it available within HubPages. Count my vote in... I'm all for it.

Thank you FaithDream smile

1. FaithDream profile image78
        FaithDreamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. smile

12. yusefblack profile image59
    yusefblackposted 12 years ago

Agreed... in fact, if it becomes big enough I would probably search it before wiki!

13. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Yeah, good idea!!!!

http://infovore.org/wp-content/aliens-hudson.jpg

14. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 12 years ago

This is an awesome idea Cags.. and here you go +4

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+5. I'll need to get new camera.

15. Cagsil profile image70

*bumping this thread*

Anyone else?

Give your opinion?

16. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Glad to see that a number of people think this is a good idea.

It might be a big undertaking for HP, because if it grew large enough, it would be nice to have photos categorized in some way. Kind of like other clip art or photo galleries are.

It might have to be  set up so only signed-in hubbers could access. Now-- would it be only for hubbers to use ON HubPages with attribution (not on other sites)? Would there be a way to effectively limit use to HP?

I have other questions, but enough for now.

P.S. I have some photos and drawings I would gladly contribute to the cause.

It should be only accessible by those who are signed in. It should be for members only access. This way it can be considered an exclusive feature of Hubpages, which can add value to Hubpages(overall) and to the Community of users.

Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.
        I'd like to know if the staff would consider this, and to know what they think the pros and cons might be.
        It seems that there are always questions, especially from new hubbers, about where to get photos and graphics for their hubs.

One drawback might be that the same piece gets used over and over and might not seem like 'original content' is being used.  Maybe if an item is used-- there would be a restriction of another use for a certain time period?

Also, the files could include other copyright-free or public domain images... just thinking on the keyboard.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I was actually wondering that. I mean, initially any image resource would be a bit limited (until we'd managed to build it up) Maybe, like you say Rochelle, there could be a time period, or usage restricted for a maximum number of hubs?

2. Cagsil profile image70

I'm not sure how it would be handled with regards to the number of times an image, photo or art could be used. Maybe like 50 times, then the image, photo or art would be inaccessible for a period of 2-3 months, then released for usage.

Not to mention, all images and/or art would follow permitted/rules already in place.

On a side thought, each person already possesses an album section on their account and if possible, that album might be accessible(nothing else on that person's account would be accessible, just the albums), if the hubber chooses to allow others to use their photos? This way a separate gallery wouldn't be required to be setup.

Give each hubber the option to make their albums public or private? This might be possible, but not sure.

Edit: But limit the public access to signed in members only.

Maybe--- but I wouldn't want people using my family photos-- and, I also have a bunch of spot drawings that I have not used in my hubs, which might be useful to someone.

Hey Rochelle, the photos that are in your albums created on YOUR account have already been put into a hub. You have uploaded the photos to at least one hub. Again, like I said, if you were given the power to make specific albums public or private, then you could share individual albums, but not share others.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Sounds good to me. Would certainly generate a database with a lot more images then users own photos.

17. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

I think its a fun idea.  However, has hubpages changed their minds on letting us photomark our own photos.  I would be interested, if I knew I was being given full credit for my photos, at this time anyone can take my photos and claim them as their own.

Hey Jane,

As far as I know, I've seen some hubbers being allowed to use watermarked photos, so long as the production of the photos are truly their own making. You would be best to email Staff and double check. Team@Hubpages.com

18. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Perhaps shutterbugs here on HP could furnish on-demand photos for a small fee if some hubbers needed something from the photographer's area or expertise.  I have loads of wildlife photos I'll never use and take more everyday.  I don't want to give ALL of my photographs away for free though.

However, I would consider donating SOME of them to a common library here on HP.  Good idea guys!  smile

Thank you Randy for your input. Much appreciated. smile

19. Zac828 profile image60
    Zac828posted 12 years ago

I think this is a great idea, with our writing we need to confirm that it is our own work anyway and the same can be done for any pictures. There are some wonderfully talented photographers/artists on this site who do already share their images, if those could be used for people like me (my camera is broken and I'm running out of my own stock), with a credit then it could be the start of a collaboration between writer and artist, one that could produce further works. I support this totally,

20. profile image0
    loanyiposted 12 years ago

No doubt this is a great idea. Supporting it... where do I have to sign? Lol

21. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

This is a really good idea and I have thought of some things.

If HP were to implement something like this, certain information, like the author's link back (Melanie Shebel, CC-BY, via HubPages) would be attached to the photo and people using it within HP would be unable to remove that, protecting the original author.

However, I do see some problems with that. Hubbers who don't know about or care about copyright issues could upload pictures as their own and other hubbers would use them. Since HubPages technically condones the usage of that photo via their photo program, where does that put HP legally if someone were to complain or even take legal action? Also, let's say 50 hubbers unknowingly illegally used that photo, does that make them liable? If not, 50 hubbers would still have to replace photos in their hubs if a complaint is made and the picture is thus removed from the system.

Also, let's say a user uploads a really awesome picture of hmmm a pretty beach scene. Several hubbers may use that photo and it could get to where all the hubs talking about anything beach related are sharing the same pictures. I think this could be boring for the reader. This, of course, would be fixed by a large repertoire of photos.

On a more positive note, if attribution were to be automatically attached to photos, users might be more apt to think "what's this?" and learn more about legal use for photos, which would actually be helpful to HP.

Yes, the technical people would have to work something out that would  help to protect against misuse.

22. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

I have a hub about creative photography & I said people can use my hubs if they have a link back to my hub where they got the photo from .
    I take a lot of photos and use them in forums as well for fun
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5540738_f248.jpg

That's very generous of you-- I'm sure there are many who would share their photos for the same reason, with the same requirements.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)