jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Sorry, Strange Question: What is the Name of the US National Anthem?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I'm really sorry for what may be an incredibly stupid question to most of you but I hope you will read a little further to understand why I am asking before shooting me down in flames! smile

Tonight, I had a rare night off and went with a group of friends to a pub quiz. Long story short, it was teams of four and when it came to a tie break with my team and another to win the top prize of £200, the tie break topic was announced as, "The United States of America." Each team had to nominate a representative.

My three team mates started laughing, knowing that I work with/speak to/laugh with/ etc, etc, American friends every day in life and I was instantly nominated as our representative. They started spending the money....

It was an initial eight questions - four each - and my opponent and I both scored maximum marks. The quizmaster then told us it was "Sudden death" time and to put our right hands on the table and first to raise - upon being asked a question and on his decision - would be given chance to answer.

"What is the name of the National Anthem of the United States of America?"

Both hands shot up but I was granted first chance and answered, "The Star Spangled Banner." I was told that he was sorry but that was the wrong answer...

My opponent answered, "The Stars and Stripes" and was awarded £200.

Google searches came later but in the immediate aftermath, the stranger (and winner) whom none of us had ever met before bought all of us a pint and a glass of whisky each, confiding quietly to me that he thought I was right... Good on the guy - he didn't have to do that regardless and it was much appreciated.

I'm horrified to find Google UK searches inconclusive, although they suggest I was right...

Was I right...??? hmm

1. brittanytodd profile image92
      brittanytoddposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You were right!  It's the "Star Spangled Banner."  You were definitely cheated out of a win!

Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Brittany. You've put my mind at ease! smile I think it was actually my friends that irked me the most by blaming me for "Getting it wrong" without having any idea of the right answer themselves. Think I'll send them a link to this! wink

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I concur!

There is a popular (many years ago) patriotic song-march called "The Stars and Stripes Forever," by John Philip Sousa.  [I just this instant learned - from good-ol' Wikipedia - that that song is the National March of the USA.  Wow, I didn't even know we had a National March! big_smile]

Also, from Wikipedia: 
    "'The Star-Spangled Banner'" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889 and the President in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover."

£200 seems like a whole lot to lose from the quizmaster's or quizmaker's mistake!  I would think there could be some real justification in politely requesting a rematch.

Aficionada,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! smile

Yes, it would have been a nice lift but the winners were strangers and there's not much chance of a rematch - but it would be welcomed!

I think I will speak to the landlord. Maybe the "Visitors" were visiting family members of the quizmaster... ?

Glad you at keast discovered you have a National March! smile

Thanks,

Gordon

1. Aficionada profile image93
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

- - - That's where I'd put my money!
        We learn something new every day, right?  Even if it's just to ask for a DNA test of quizmaster and opponents, when there's a £200 prize involved.  lol

3. brittanytodd profile image92
    brittanytoddposted 5 years ago

You're welcome!  Let them know you were right!  Here's some more info to prove you're right smile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

It's sent! smile Thanks, Brittany!

1. brittanytodd profile image92
        brittanytoddposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No problem.  Glad to help!

4. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 5 years ago

The name of the National Anthem?

THE DAWNZER SONG!

5. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 5 years ago

Are you kidding me?  It's "The Star Spangled Banner" by Francis Scott Key.  It is sung at all athletic events before they begin.  Have you ever been to a football game, baseball game, basketball game etc.?  It is sung before the Super Bowl begins.  Did you not attend high school athletic events?  It is unconsciousnable to me that you would not know the name of our national anthem. I'm sorry, but I am completely floored by this question.

6. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 5 years ago

Sorry, I jumped the gun.  But, I do know UK's national anthem - "God Save the Queen"

working