jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Freak Google Traffic Incident

1. thooghun profile image85
    thooghunposted 5 years ago

Something's up on one of my hubs and while I'm ecstatic, I'm also a little worried. Basically one of my dormant hubs went from 3-4 views a day, to about 2000 views (from Google) in an hour.

My question is whether or not I need to report this to Adsense and how I can figure out what's going on. I don't seem to be ranking for the phrase itself, and secondly it doesn't seem to be a high volume keyword anyway. What gives? Anyone have an experience like this?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That happened to one of mine about this time last year. I ended up getting like 100,000 in one weekend. I freaked out and I did write a note to Adsense, but they didn't answer and I did get paid.

What happened to mine was an event on Facebook that went viral and my hub fit the bill.

thooghunposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks uninvited, due to the fact that analytics have yet to roll over, is there a way I can tell where the hell the traffic is coming from? The stats on the hub itself indicate only google.com as the referrer, but I don't seem to be ranking for the phrase itself. /boggle.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

I had one of mine do that to a lesser extent a few weeks ago... all the traffic was from google Brazil.  Apparently an obscure 80's cartoon shares the name of a not so obscure Brazilian pop band who was in the news down there.

That's a pretty neat coincidence Melissa. I wish I knew the cause of my outburst, traffic continues to accelerate. 4/k views an hour now...

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

If you use Google Analytics it will show you exactly where the traffic is coming from.

You are right. I wasn't aware that you could check real time stats. But apparently you can.  Apparently its all from ranking for the keywords I was on about, which is probably the best outcome possible.

working