jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)

Who did you idolize growing up?

1. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 4 years ago

Micheal J. Fox

Wayne Gretzky

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Idolizing anyone is, to my mind, a sign of insecurity and inadequacy.    Admiring someone's talents or enjoying their artistry is one thing, idolizing is something else entirely.

Johnjfernandoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thats right. Admiring someone's talents and artistery is one way of looking at it.

Hence, which is why I said 'growing up' because when we're in our adolescent years when we comes to idolizing someone as kids and teens since most of us learn, grow, and change through the realms of insecurity and inadequacy. Idolizing someone while growing up is different from, lets say, trying to pretend to be someone else. In this case, it sort of establishes that sense of wanting to be a good person like your idol or feel appreciated in the same everyone else does towards that idol.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"Who did you idolize growing up?"

3. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

Mike Palmateer

Pierre Trudeau

Greek One

smile You truly are the Greek One with the last picture. I was wondering, which year was that goalie from and what team.

1. Greek One profile image80
        Greek Oneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mike Palmateer was the greatest athlete in the history of the world.. and he just so happened to play on my favorite team int he late 1970s wink

Ah! Yes! He played for the Leafs and it definitely was from the 70's although it was a tad bit before my time. I also realize that its the toronto maple leafs that he played for since it shows. silly me:o! I need to pay more attention to the pictures next time.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

...just for awhile...growers started to increase the potency of the herb back then...so i quit....

I'll never forget the crazy cackles. Yikes!:_

5. equine profile image83
    equineposted 4 years ago

I grew up in Green Bay and got to work packer camp in  late middle school and high school.  Naturally, it was Reggie White and Brett Favre. wink

6. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago

1. MissE profile image80
      MissEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's awesome.

7. manlypoetryman profile image72
    manlypoetrymanposted 4 years ago

a mixture:

8. 0
    Home Girlposted 4 years ago

Robertino Loretti, his singing when he was a boy enchanted me so much that I wanted to be a singer myself.

9. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I've never idolized anyone at all, but I've had those I've particularly admired:

When I was really little it was Pinky Lee (anyone remember him?  lol) and Captain Kangaroo (who was just "so nice"). Oh - and Disney's Cinderella (particularly when she had the up-do and that ball-gown on.  I had some real fierce admiration going at this stage.

A little later I admired Nat King Cole and Perry Como for both their "nice voices" but also because I thought they were good looking.  And Abby Dalton on the Joey Bishop show, mostly for her up-do.  (I apparently had a thing for hair in up-do's.  lol )

Also, though, I really admired Anne Sullivan from the time I got the book "The Mircle Worker" from the Scholastic Book club.  That one stuck to this day.  I'd seen the movie, "Unsinkable Molly Brown" and admired Debbie Reynolds in it (both for the strength she showed but also for her up-do  lol).  As an adult I watched that movie and was kind of horrified to think of how I'd admired her, in view of the fact that she got herself partly to where she did by finding the guy who could come up with some money.  Oh well, I was a kid.  I only noticed the part of the movie that came after they were wealthier and when the ship was eventually brought into it.

Later on, "That Girl" for her good flip; and, of course, anyone who ever had either a good flip or a good up-do.

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

My mother.

11. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 4 years ago

There wasn't anyone I 'idolized'.  There were 'crushes' on movie stars and such, but nothing close to idolizing.  smile

Haha.....I get similar answers to this on facebook as well. Girls, mostly having dream guys and guys having that girl of their dreams.

12. TheMagician profile image89
    TheMagicianposted 4 years ago

I used to (still do) wish Mark Hoppus of blink-182 was my dad.
    Man, he'd be the coolest dad ever... does that count?

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

Cowboys - I wanted to be one!