jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Any chance hubpages could incorporate pubsubhubub?

1. Silver Rose profile image78
    Silver Roseposted 4 years ago

Pubsubhubbub is a real time instant pinging protocol, which updates feeds and search engines the instant you publish. (I checked the source code on my hubs and couldn't see it - apologies if I've missed it and you've already incorporated it).

Here's some info on it (check out the slide show at the bottom of article):

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/re … lained.php

Here's the Google wiki on it with a lot more detail:

The following wiki entry says Google is in the process of incorporating it on blogger:

http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/w … ubAtGoogle

It's nice and all for G to be so pro-active with their own products - but the issue with Blogger having pubsubhubbub and hubpages not having it, is that if a scraper pulls info from hubpages and publishes (and instantly pings via pubsubhubbub) while poor old hubpages is pinging the old method - chances are high that the blogspot scraper will be classed as an originator as G found their material first.

Would be grateful if you could look into it as it could help with scraper issues.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 4 years ago

Is one of the features of Hubbub that it pings search engines? Is there any documentation suggesting that Google will use this information over its usual spidering because the latter is slower? Google currently crawls HubPages constantly.

From what I gather, it's more geared for web services that are grabbing information from a page that is constantly updating. Since most Hubbers are not constantly editing their Hubs with new information, it seems like this might be of limited utility.

1. Silver Rose profile image78
      Silver Roseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes it does ping search engines - remember that google blog search is based on RSS feeds, and when we publish hubs and ping, they pull the feed.

Here's some more incentive for you to do this: Matt Cutts recommends it:

http://www.labnol.org/internet/fat-ping … ers/20400/

Unfortunately hubpages doesn't have it enabled - which means if a scraper gets content and fat pings it before the normal crawler comes to Hubpages, they are the originator.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for this, Silver Rose. I'll pass this on the engineering team for consideration.

3. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

Pubsubhubbub? I thought this was a joke, sounds like a pub crawl to me!

1. kmackey32 profile image81
      kmackey32posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I thought it was a joke too and I just had to look. lol

1. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have no idea where I am or what we are talking about. lol tongue

2. rochelj profile image79
      rocheljposted 4 years ago in reply to this

sounds like a tongue twister. see if you can say it multiple times fast.