jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Does making a hub non-commercial affect Amazon earnings?

1. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

When you want to disable ads on a hub, you need to uncheck the box 'this hub may be considered commercial.' But does this affect Amazon earnings?

2. QuestionMaster profile image88
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

I don't see any reason why it should. It may increase the chance of clicks, since no other adverts are there to grab the reader's attention.

I have a hub which has adverts turned off (sensitive topic) and I've sold a couple of Amazon items on it.

Although I've always been curious why you can still put Amazon on a hub which you've selected as 'non-commercial'. Doesn't the fact you're trying to get sales make it commercial?

Hauntyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you don't have an AdSense account, you might have to rely on Amazon as the main source of income, in which case you might want to make the Google ads go away to increase chances at Amazon sales. (Just like you said.) The only way to do that is by selecting the hub as non-commercial. Thanks again.

1. QuestionMaster profile image88
        QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

True. I just think the wording is funny. big_smile You're welcome.

Hauntyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes. It's funny. And confusing too, because this was in fact asked by a new hubber that I greeted and wasn't sure what to tell her.

3. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

That's what I was trying to get at. So if I select a hub as non-commercial, I can still sell Amazon products on it as an Amazon affiliate. Thanks QM.

1. QuestionMaster profile image88
      QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe so, yes.

I think it only applies to Adsense - and I wouldn't see any difference between a hub where the adverts were turned off by a user and turned off by staff.

Mine were turned off by staff due to sensitivity and they recommended I monetize with Amazon instead, in their email.

working