jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Copying

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Do people actually think that just because they copy their hubs from Google Books that they won't be found out? Crazy.

Again...I should not Hubhop before breakfast.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I saw that while doing editing on another content site.  People don't understand the difference between copyright infringement and duplicate content.  No, there is no legal problem with copying public domain material (most of the time) Yes, it is still duplicate content.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But the ones I saw were not from public domain materials smile

That's awesome! Lets break the law and HP TOS at the same time!

Sorry I haven't had my breakfast (read coffee) yet, that's the best sarcasm I can muster...  I shouldn't answer threads before coffee.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
          couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What's the difference between public domain sites and everything else on the web?

Public domain materials can legally be adapted and/or copied.  People that copy non-public domain works can be held responsible in civil courts or at least risk losing their advertisers... etc.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
              couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But I mean how do we know which are which?

Public domain that is current is generally very clearly denoted.  If it doesn't say something very close to "This material has be entered into the public domain" then it is likely copyright protected.  Otherwise, most federal government publications are public domain.  Almost everything produced before 1923 is also public domain, as it's copyright has expired.

working