jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Articles Being Flagged

1. Abitibibob profile image82
    Abitibibobposted 5 years ago

Two of my articles have been flagged recently for quoting "too much" from other sources. These quotes have been cut down considerably and sources are ALWAYS given. If I'm going to be censored to this extent there's hardly any point in writing on a topic. It should not be a surprise if something noteworthy gets quoted on a lot of other websites. This is getting to be ridiculous!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Look at it this way. If they are quoted in numerous sites, why would anyone choose to visit your hub to read them? Adding unique content will help everyone in the long run.

2. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If something is quoted on a lot of websites, the search engines don't put much value in it.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#duplicate_content

1. davenmidtown profile image87
        davenmidtownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I see this a lot here on hubpages both in terms of complaints and as I read  hubs.  There is a great difference in writing original content and writing a book report type article.  I do not necessarily mean you because I have no read the hubs that you refer to.  This is very common.  If I decide I want to write about a topic that has been written about a lot then I try to make the piece about why this is important to me, why this piece is important to the reader, etc.  I try to avoid the he said, she said bit because it has probably already been written.   ds

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

It only means that you need to ADD more creative writing. It's being flagged as duplicate. Write more unique content on the topic, aside from the quotes used and you shouldn't have a problem.

3. Abitibibob profile image82
    Abitibibobposted 5 years ago

It's called research. It's necessary to quote from people to show that they said the things it's claimed they said. Additional commentary, of course, has to be added.

1. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A rule of thumb for HP is less quotes or copied and more original. You can rewrite your research in your own words. like saying. "According to XYZ, their blah, blah blah is that that that"...rather than direct quotes or copies.

Always remember quotes ARE copied content and HP is not too keen on that. If you are going to be too stiff about changing your tactics then maybe consider another writing outlet.

2. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

One way to get around that is to do a snapshot of the text you want to quote and present it in picture form. I have done that  at times,

Abitibibobposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good idea!

Abitibibobposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Which brings up another question. Two articles have been resubmitted for publication, one of them six days ago. They're quick to flag them. How long before they review them?

1. Cardisa profile image92
            Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They should have been reviewed within 24-48 hours.  You need to email HP staff with a link to the hub in the body of the email.

working