jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

More A/B testing by Google as part of Panda?

1. Lalulinho profile image82
    Lalulinhoposted 4 years ago

So maybe I don't have enough traffic to be a reliable indicator, but I think I am still being A/B tested by Google.  Several weeks before September 6 = best traffic ever, then thrown off a cliff by Google.  Then the beginning of November, went from almost 0 traffic to best traffic ever again, and today thrown off a cliff the second time. 

Now, best traffic ever for me = 40 daily views off just 12 hubs (and mainly, 2 hubs drove that traffic), and very few backlinks that I did.  Am at 2 views today.  Discouraging because this month I made about $10 total, which isn't bad for just 12 hubs (Hub ads + adsense + amazon).

1. QuestionMaster profile image90
      QuestionMasterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sorry but I haven't come across that before... what is 'A/B Testing?'

1. jenniferrpovey profile image92
        jenniferrpoveyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Views *always* drop on Sundays.

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, not always.

Mostly, I'd agree.  But not always.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image84
          theherbivorehippiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sunday is one of my best days

1. David 470 profile image87
            David 470posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Me too

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

What do you mean by saying YOU are being A/B tested by Google?

YOU can do A/B testing with ad positions, colors, text, whatever.  What A/B testing are you talking about that Google would do?

3. jenniferrpovey profile image92
    jenniferrpoveyposted 4 years ago

I've heard enough people say that views dip on Sundays that I wouldn't assume a Sunday dip meant anything.

4. AndrewGee profile image81
    AndrewGeeposted 4 years ago

actually i can see where you are coming from.  basically you are saying that for a short period Google is floating you to the top of the search engines to see what people are doing on your site.  do they click through? do they bounce or read your whole article?

what i would say you should do is write more hubs and link them to existing hubs.

5. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 4 years ago

I think the OP is describing the surging/plunging pattern that a lot of us have been experiencing since the new subdomains came in.

I was interested in learned what A/B testing is though. Is that the official name for it?

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  You try an A version, then a B version.   See http://www.google.com/support/websiteop … swer=71976

1. IzzyM profile image84
        IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is something for webmasters to use then, and not Google?

As we are not webmasters here, we have no control. Then again, obviousy my stuff is not getting moved around or I'd have noticed.(thought is has been, a teensy bit with the new ad layouts etc).

So the OP is still plunging/surging. He mentioned September 6th which was a black day for a lot of us, but other surged at that time.

There is hope for me yet then. I am still on a plunge, and it is hopeful to know the results have not finally settled into their forever position.

6. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

Yes, though you can do manual tests anywhere.  You don't have full control, but you can affect ad placement to some extent here.

7. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 4 years ago

you could and should use a/b testing in as many ways as possible

some ideas for a hub a/b test ...

should amazon/adsense/ebay occupy the "prime" above the fold spot?

try a month with each ... or a week, or 1000 views etc.

does product A (pepsi)sell better than B (coke)? on a hub "buy soda online" showcase one over the other see what happens.

A/B testing is pretty much a must have technique in the arsenal for any smart webmaster or publisher

8. Richieb799 profile image64
    Richieb799posted 4 years ago

Yes they've been doing it for a few weeks recently according to a newsletter I receive, one of my clients rankings was umming and arrring about whether it was 1st or 2nd in Google UK for about a week

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image90
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

I lost 45% of my traffic very suddenly on Saturday (I would normally expect to drop maybe 20-25% at the start of the weekend and not quite so suddenly).  I really thought I was being "plunged" and that my Google traffic would be down to zero within 24 hours.  However, thankfully, my traffic has more or less recovered now, although not quite at the level it was before the weekend.

1. Sally's Trove profile image100
      Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You describe exactly the pattern I've experienced over the last few days.

10. Hollie Thomas profile image62
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

I've also lost about 50% of my traffic, this started on Friday and I've not recovered yet.