Does it take a while to see traffic to your sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. jfay2011 profile image60
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

I am starting to learn how to social bookmark.  I've been doing it on twitter, facebook, igoogle, digg, delicious, diigo, my blogs, pingomatic and a few other places.  I have only been doing it on some of these sites for the last four or five days.  It probably takes a while to see an increase in traffic from these places right?  I really don't have a lot of followers yet from some of these places.

1. ronhi profile image67
      ronhiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am only a few months old and i may not have a very good answer but from my own experience, using SEO techniques for articles has proven to be very fruitful. I try to do some keyword analysis and i try to tune my articles to what internet users are searching for.  I am not an expert on that but thankfully, there are so many experts on Hp and the entire internet community. It feels really good to check stats on a hub and see traffic from bing, google ,yahoo and even some search engines that you had never heard of before smile

I love linkedin and twitter. I love linkedin because there are so many active groups. I post  links to hubs related to the groups and that will guarantee me traffic from the site. I love twitter because users are more inclined to follow links as opposed to facebook- but maybe it just happens for me and it could be differnt for other people

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Getting social traffic is fine if you are looking for loyal readers who are interested in what you write - but if you are looking for money then you need to learn about Keywords, Backlinks, on page SEO etc to drive traffic from the search engines.. Just type them into the search box top right and you will find a host of hubs about each subject to help you.

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

It does take time, but time alone isn't particularly always enough.

While waiting out that time, and while continuing to write more Hubs; it's not a bad idea for someone to keep Google's "webmaster guidelines" in mind when writing; because aiming for those could help speed up the "time-and-traffic process".  The other thing that factors in whether people will search for something AND whether they'll find it because it's written in a way that works OK as far as search engines/searching go.  It doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) all SEO'd up - only not with complete disregard for how search engines work (which is one big reason why my non-performers don't perform).  One day I'll fix, delete, or re-write them.

(I've got more than my share of Hubs that have been sitting for years and that get little or no traffic.  roll) .   Having enough high performers and/or having "tons" of modest performers that add up is what leads to earning.  Time online, but also the time involved in building up an inventory of Hubs, both contribute to why it can take time to really start seeing earnings.

4. Nexusx2 profile image60
    Nexusx2posted 12 years ago

You will get flagged as spam if you are using the social bookmarkers for you own sites. bookmark only 1% of your work and you will see better results.

jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean?  Do you mean I can't go to other sites and bookmark my hubs?

Do you mean to tell me that hubpages would flag me as spam?  Why even bother to social book mark  at all then if we will get frickin flagged as spam.  Why do you think they let us facebook it and twitter it then, huh?  They pay us in pennies!  Why do you think people even attempt to use these social bookmarking sites then?  Don't they want to get traffic to their sites?  I do believe that is the object.  It really makes me wonder how these people say they are making a lot of money here if they don't do anything at all to push their hubs.  And they claim the followers don't mean a thing.  Yet, the one that says that just so happens to have over one thousand followers.  Makes me wonder about her.  It isn't just about a good quality hub.  I think someone has to market and push themselves to actually make money here.  Things don't seem to add up.  How the hell can someone only have twenty hubs or less and claim they make $100 or more a week when they don't hardly do a thing to push or promote it.  I've been told that it's all about keywords, hitting the right subject, seo and backlinking but I bet a pretty penny that people are also social bookmarking.  What is it a crime to social bookmark?

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey calm down, are you on the angry pills?

Those sites will flag you as spam, not Hubpages. Twitter and Facebook probably not, but don't send too many to Facebook because after a while even your friends can't be bothered.
          But Digg will, in short order.
          You have to put lots of links up and just sneak yours in, so they won't notice. And Pingomatic is a pinging service, not a social bookmarking site.

And  no, you do not need to send your stuff all over the internet. It is true that if you learn about SEO, keywords, hitting the right subject etc, the traffic will come.

maybe I should get some happy pills, huh?  I just got fearful when i suddenly hear that you can't social bookmark.  I mean, it would probably be okay if I submit four or five links to my sites a day to digg right.  I've only so far been putting a link to my new hubs only once after I publish them.  So it's just letting them know that I have published something new.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Be very very careful with Digg, it's not just your account at risk, they have threatened several times to ban the whole of Hubpages through excessive spam linking. Try to put at least 10 other links up to them in between times - news stories, something interesting you find on the internet - anything.

I'll be honest with you. I went and look at your Swedish Apple cake recipe hub after someone mentioned it earlier, and I see you still haven't changed anything.

Get that personal story out of there. It has no business in that hub.

You need to focus your hubs, and this is a recipe for Swedish apple cake.

You need to use the words "swedish apple cake recipe" at least a couple of times in the body of the hub (and in the title).

Make use of H2 headers to emphasise what your hub is about, so that Google knows. Those are your capsule headers.

Your top photo is incorrectly labelled. Is that a slice of Swedish apple cake? Say so then, as you have given it the heading "Found it yesterday".

Google will have no idea what your hub is about. Also 'Google images' is not a source. You need to open the site you got it from and name them as the source.

Your tags are all over the place.

What does a stolen Nikon D90 camera have to do with a cake recipe? Now you are guaranteeing yourself no traffic. Google doesn't know what to send you, or in what search term to place your hub.

If someone was looking for their stolen Nikon D90 camera they are not going to be at all happy if Google sends them to your hub.

Is 'yummy' a tag? Your tags should all relate to baking a Swedish Apple cake, so that if someone is looking for the recipe, they will find your page.

That is the traffic you are looking for, not friends or whatever from social bookmarking sites.

You also start out the hub with a totally unnecessary story about losing your recipe. Get rid of it and stick to saying how nicely your Mom made the recipe and she passed it down through the family and stuff, and how everyone loves it.

That's what people want to read.

They want to find a tried and tested recipe and it is up to you to sell them your recipe.

And take away all that stuff about brussel sprouts and sushi and unrelated foodstuffs.

Your Hub is not a blog. It is expected to read like a magazine article that is interesting to a wide range of people.

If you make those changes and take on board what I am telling you now, you will see an increase in traffic naturally, without backlinking.

1. lorenmurcia profile image84
                lorenmurciaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I've always read and admired IzzyM's comments and answers. This one is tops! I learned many things and the questions in my mind were answered by this.. smile

2. Nexusx2 profile image60
            Nexusx2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I was off reading... Izzy pretty much covered it for my, thanks izzy. What i mean is that you have to establish yourself and socialize on social bookmarking sites. Social bookmarks are a place were you post interesting sites that you have visited. This doesn't mean just post your sites. you have to sneak your sites in. Also make friends with people and follow them. with digg, you will want to create followers that will digg your sites. In a sense, treat other social websites just like you do with HP. Interacting with people will get you farther.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know who the person with 20 Hubs and a hundred dollars a week is; but based on some of my higher performing Hubs, I can see how that's perfectly plausible (especially if the person writes the right kind of Hub that gets its own traffic without being promoted).

As someone who doesn't promote, I'd say you may want to be careful about betting that "pretty penny" or about "wondering about" people who say they don't promote on social sites, or that they don't concentrate on (or worry about) how many followers they have.  I can't speak for any of the other people on here, who only try to help newer people know some of the things the more experienced ones have already learned; but I can tell you there's never been a time when I've said something that's not true on here.

Yes, the objective is to get traffic.  A whole lot of people on this site will tell you that you don't need to use social sites in order to get traffic.  I don't know about anyone else who says they don't promote their stuff (although I strongly suspect I'm far from alone on this), but I can tell you that I don't promote my stuff on anyone else's site(s), and I've been receiving a monthly Ad Sense payment once I was here for eight (maybe nine, don't quite recall).  After Panda I had one month when I didn't reach Ad Sense payout and instead was paid by HP ads (which I used for the first month they were available and then stopped using).

With the exception of about 5% of my traffic, all my traffic comes from search engines (mostly Google).  Personally, I can't imagine anyone having any reason to lie about this particular thing.  With the exception of a brief tryout of YouSayToo, which I didn't like and stopped doing anything on; the only social thing I'm on is Facebook (go look, and see if I have anything of my own on there) and Google+, which I set up because of the "authorship thing" - not to socialize.  My links are there, where people are allowed to, and encouraged to, post links to their own pages and profiles.  I have on my own blogs.  (And it's not like I have those up and functioning the way blogs generally do.)   Other than that, that's it.

If you look at any of the people who just posted on a new thread that showed up in the last day (I think) about linking and social sites, and who said they don't do it; you'll see that their Hubs show that they're people who put in a fairly serious effort into what's in their Hubs (as far as what gets traffic, and what is considered a Hub that meets HP standards, go.  It's that simple.

People who have been on this site for awhile have their online reputations at stake.  Although there'll always be lying on the Internet, most of these long-time Hubbers aren't going to say anything other than what they, themselves, have found to be true in their own experience.  Also, there are reasons they've stayed this long; and if their Hubs aren't written "for fun rather than money", that reason is generally that they get traffic, exposure, and money.

Because I'm one of the ones who doesn't promote my Hubs on other people's sites/social sites, I can see what those others who don't promote either say; and I know that what they're saying matches my own experience.

Nobody says it's a crime to use social sites.  It's just that you're wrong if you believe that's the best way to get traffic (at least when it comes to this site).  As others have said, Hubs need that basic level of SEO-friendliness, and they need to meet the latest writing standards of both HubPages and Google.

If things that don't add up, maybe you'd be better of just directly asking those people you "wonder about" and explaining what is it that you don't think adds up.  Most people who try to offer helpful information based on what they've experienced themselves would be more willing than try to help you understand the difference between the kind of Hub that doesn't get its own traffic and the kind that's most likely to.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

I find Facebook a waste of time.  They are losing people. You have a handful that even posts on there. It is just that the same ones post dozens of things over and over and over which makes it seem like there is a lot going on. I get nothing from Digg, but Stumbleupon does get some traffic.

I have learned that what is working today, may not work next week.  What is failing today, might suddenly have a jump iin traffic.  It is really hard to tell.

You might want to keep an eye on the writing you do here, and other sites to see which topics work for you on that particular site.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Be very careful with Stumblupon too, they also want do not want you to post your own links, so put plenty others up too.

Facebook is worth posting to, so long as you don't post all your hubs there. It is through the likes of Facebook or twitter that you sometimes get hubs going viral, although I am still waiting on that happening to me!

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Exactly Izzy.   You don't write about a Cadillac then tell a story about grandpops ford, the dog that bit the tractor tire, and your kid hit a grandslam yesterday.

Hey Izzy:  If we go to google images, we do not list that as the source, since it is where we got the image. There is a place for url if we can find it for the images.  That is a new one on me.

1. IzzyM profile image86

When you go into google images, and find a pic you can use, you see the photo to the forefront of the site it is on. Right click on the picture, open in new window, and click it off from the first window. Then you can read the site it came from, and maybe write and ask if you can use their picture. Otherwise at least give them a live link back from your hub by putting their url in as source.

This isn't actually the correct way to do it, but there is an entry on how to get pics for your hub in the learning centre.

7. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

jfay2011- do yourself a favor and listen and learn Izzy's advice by heart. And then go and learn what each site is all about. Facebook is not Digg and Digg is not Twitter and on and on. Each site has its own merit. Sounds to me like you are traveling around and looking like a spam freak.If you dont understand what I am saying here is a good example for you to ponder. . .

The title of Digg is exactly that. . dig it. . It is not smart nor wise to be digging yourself  .. let alone 4 or 5 times a day. You are definately IMHO digging yourself way too much and chances are the only thing you will end up digging is ur own grave.

Might be wise to read the TOS. Obviously you havent since you keep asking questions that all add up to trying to take shortcuts.

Learn what social bookmarking means. But first learn what a keyword is and how to use it. Writing online is hard work, there are no shortcuts. And actually chances are, you like most of us here on Hubpages are a one man band. Learning by yourself is not easy and it takes a lot of commitment, time and patience. Better you bookmark with caution

THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA TO GETTING YOUR WRITING READ.

Content is king and from the likes of it at the moment you are lost in a web. Before you keep spinning it, take a step back and listen to all the advice others are giving you here and on the other threads where you are stumped.

Chances are right now its the only traffic you are getting is coming from Hubbers. After your day in the forums I would say you have been doing a good job at pissing off the community. A little humbility from you at this point might go a long way.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61

J: I  would sggest that your first step is Quality Content.  Izzy just wrote about what was wrong with one of your hubs, and gave you some excellent pointers. 

The first thing to do, is clean up the hubs that you have already done.  Fix errors, move pics, lable photos etc like Izzy said to do.

Second step: Don't worry about what is popular, what others are writing about etc. If you do that here, you will be writing poetry, short stories about personal life, how to make money with hub pages over and over and over again.  I no longer read those hubs.  There are 20 a day on same topic.  Nothing new, information  has not changed.

Find out what you like. What do you like to write about. What do you know about the topic. Are you good at research?  Here is my tip:

When I first started, I wrote travel articles.  They are easy, easy easy. I enjoy traveling without spending any money.  I just wish I could go to the places I wrote about.    Good topic too. Chicago is a great place to write about.  There are so many things to do, to see, and historical hotels that are phenomanal. Romantic getaways, places to go and places to stay.

Do you like to decorate.  Write about ways to decorate a room to give it a new look without cluttering it up.

Parties: People always want party ideas.  Baby showers, bridal showers, weddings, birthday parties, holiday parties. Theme parties are a big thing this year for sure.  Write about dress code, how to decorate the room, costume of dress code, the accessories, music etc.  I will give you a good one.  Roaring 20's New Years Eve Party.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

My point is that you can post your articles, hubs, blogs on 1000 different sites.  But, readers will eventually learn your name, and if your writing is not up to par, they won't read them at all.

10. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Izzy hit the nail on the head.

Also, I want to add (if someone didn't say it already) that you shouldn't hit the Google+ button on your hubs nor should you ask others to do it. If people like your hubs, they'll naturally do it. It's not a good idea for hubbers to be Plussing each other hubs, either, it would look fishy to Google.

Check out the learning center. I would recommend doing this before you write further. It looks like you've got some good, solid recipes, but the wording around them could use a little bit of work. Read everything in the learning center and you'll seriously come out with an entire repertoire of new writing tools..
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

Check out some "top" hubs to get an idea of what a great hub looks like:
    http://hubpages.com/hubs/hot/

Remember, before social bookmarking something, make sure your hub looks as good as you can make it. Add photos (properly cited... take your own or PROPERLY cite things from wikimedia commons or flickr... there's info on that in the learning center.) Add great wording with complete sentences and make my mouth seriously water as I'm reading one of your great recipes. If you're not sure what to write, give me some tips on how to not screw up the recipe or some neat things I can add to the recipe for a fun flair.

You may also want to lengthen some of your hubs. Try to shoot for at least 500 words. However, it's better to leave a hub short than bore the reader with repetitive blah, so if you've got nothing more to say, then it's a good idea to keep it short. tongue

The nice thing about hubs is that you can always edit them. tongue

1. Nexusx2 profile image60
      Nexusx2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When using social bookmarking don't book mark your own websites. Get other people to do it for you. There are solutions out there that will help you book mark, tweet, and like your site. You just have to find them. When it comes to digg and reddit, you need at least 50 diggs/vote ups before you hit the front page.  Digging your own site will send it to the grave.

I try to aim for 1,000 words and above. To me that's a short article. Plus its good practice to hit a larger amount of words when you have to consider a keyword density. I try to aim for 4% and that's at least 40 words. Because of hubpages lack of on site seo its important to consider keyword density. To a hubber, onsite seo = keyword density.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Some great advice here, thanks!

This seems as good a place to any to add a bit about keywords, seeing as they keep coming up.

keywords are all the words that relate to your article. In actual fact, every single word is a keyword, but for SEO purposes keywords are generally just the words people find your article with.

The more keywords you use, the greater the chance of being found, which is one reason it is a good idea to write longer hubs - the more words, the more keywords.

To take the Swedish apple cake recipe for example, well all four together are the main keywords, then you will want to use other descriptive phrases to make sure Google knows what those words are (don't forget, Google is a bot, not a person).

So 'baking cake', 'baking tart''apple cake recipe' 'cooking apple' 'cinnamon cake' 'Swedish cake' 'swedish cake recipe' and I dunno there could be a million other phrases out there directly related to those keywords.

Your job as a writer is to take all possible phrases and combinations thereof, and put them in to google keyword tool to find out which is the most searched for and incorporate them into your hub.

Or just be like me and use the main ones, with one or two other one that mean the same (ie chicken, poultry, bird) and just get writing, using the main keywords in the first paragraph and the last, assuming its a 3 paragraph hub.

Look up keywords, read all you can. This is only a simplistic version of it, but it is the correct use of keywords that drives traffic to your hub.

11. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I agree with you Izzy, it takes a while to learn to write in that way. But if I were writing a hub I would use a different thought process about the words to use than when writing a story.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Yes it is completely different, isn't it? And it takes a long while to learn.

We come here writers and leave as "web content publishers" which is quite different.

We have to change if we want traffic, and that is just the way of the internet.

Thanks.  I came back to read this morning.  I do like to add thinks that happen though.  Maybe that should be a separate blog?  I do like to blog.

Things.  Typo.  I do like to share my experiences.

12. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

A Blog is probably your best bet for things that happen in your life.  Think of hubs like informational magazine articles. Or in the case of recipes a page in a cooking magazine.  If you must include stories then make them related to the subject of the hub... A story about how you ruined baking the cake or about how good it smelled when your grandmother cooked it can "fill out" a recipe hub, but it shouldn't be the focus.

I go personal in my hubs about sensory stuff, but that is because I'm giving parent-to-parent advice on how to deal with it.  Even at that, I try to limit it to stories that directly relate to the issues that I am discussing.  My rule of thumb is that if my daughter's name has shown up as a potential tag, I'm probably overdoing it.

When you are writing, try to think like your readers.

very true,  I will probably still blog on here about some of the stuff that happen, but really won't care if those hubs don't get much traffic.  I kind of consider this a blog too.  I guess we all can focus on hubs that are going to generate traffic and also have some that don't generate traffic, but we want to put them in regardless.  I value everyone's feedback.  Today, I am going in and am going to edit stuff and do some research.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP is really not the place for personal blogging about your day to day experiences.  I'm pretty sure you have been given this feedback before.  This is clarified in HP TOS, and is there for a reason.  Purely personal stories are not the kind of content that will make the site strong.  For your convenience, I've copied this from the HP TOS:

HubPages is not like a traditional blog site, where you publish journal-type entries. Hubs can contain some personal content, but should be interesting, useful, and easily understandable to someone who does not know you personally.

If your Hub has been moderated for purely personal content, we encourage you to make changes to your content that will make it more interesting to a general audience. If that isn't possible, you can always start fresh on a new Hub.

13. profile image50
    infocashsecretsposted 12 years ago

If you are a newbie to start seeing changing with your traffic effort,it really takes some time.So be patience and remember be consistent.You will surely make if you remain focus.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)