jump to last post 1-39 of 39 discussions (76 posts)

2-Week Weekly Topic Inspiration: De-Cluttering & Home Improvement

1. Simone Smith profile image92
    Simone Smithposted 5 years ago

Hey Hubbers!

Last week, we had one of the best Weekly Topic Inspiration runs EVER! I invite you to continue publishing cleaning guides, but I also want to provide some fresh (but related!) ideas to those who already published Hubs on that topic.  To keep things interesting, I'm going to try something new.

For this WTI round, we will have two topics that will last for two weeks: DIY Home Improvement Projects and Getting Organized and Killing Clutter.  My aim in doing this is to give you more time to prepare and publish your Hubs while also not skimping on fresh ideas to choose from.

Some frequently searched-for terms on home improvement projects to give you inspiration: home improvement projects, do it yourself home improvement, diy home improvement, furniture fix, property maintenance, furniture restoration, repair wood furniture, household repairs, home restoration, bathroom repair, bathroom remodeling, bathtub drain repair, kitchen and bath remodeling, painting a bathroom, how to paint kitchen cabinets, how to build kitchen cabinets, how to make cabinets, how to replace a faucet, how to install a kitchen sink, renovation, general contractor, handyman services, home remodeling, home improvements, home renovation, household repairs, home additions, home improvement ideas, home projects, home improvement contractors, home improvement store, home maintenance

And here are commonly Googled keywords related to getting organized: get organized, office organization ideas, home organization ideas, garage shelving, garage organization, shoe organizer, desk organizers, pantry organizers, declutter your home, how to organize your room, how to get organized, mail organizer, getting organized, kitchen cabinet organizers, organization skills, jewelery organizer, desktop organizer, closet organization ideas, how to organize a closet, home storage

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Go to the Home Improvement Projects or Getting Organized questions to start your Hub.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question."
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

The benefit on writing about these topics right now is that the second half of the Drano ad campaign is running in the Home section on our site now, so you'll be seeing higher ad revenue on the Hubs you publish!

I don't know about you, but that's something I'm all for wink

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to reading your home improvement and de-cluttering Hubs, and let me know what you think of the two-week format!

1. lobobrandon profile image81
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm busy and can't take part but the two week format is great gives you more time to write hub series if you need to. I usually write a whole series instead of just one hub. So I'd love to participate in a two week drive (when it's a niche that i like)

Simone Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's great to know! And it is rather smart to turn WTI topics into a personal Hub series, so I can definitely see how a two week format might help.

1. alphagirl profile image79
          alphagirlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow! I want to do this! I hope I can start it this Sunday! After turkey!

2. beindustrial profile image69
      beindustrialposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow these topics are both good and there are lot of things one can write about home improvement and getting organized. i am planning to write something about Home and Office Storage Solutions... Hope I can finish within the 2-week schedule... ;-)

3. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

can I just create a Hub with a link to my wife's Facebook account?

That pretty much sums up my cleaning knowledge

You could just describe it a little so that it doesn't give you a highly promotional warning smile
        But I guess everyone knows abt FB and there's no need to promote , you could consider asking the HP team to excuse you on that tongue

2. Denise Handlon profile image87
        Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hahahahaha   Greek one-you crack me up!  smile

3. Simone Smith profile image92

Bahahaa!! I think that might make you only slightly savvier at cleaning than I am.

smile

4. K9keystrokes profile image93
      K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago

Cool topics Simone, and a great idea to go two weeks!
      I'll start things off by tossing in a little ditty about warming up a room that always seems to be cold! cool

http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/2b372e

Cheers~
      K9

Daaaang, that was FAST! This is a great Hub... and super useful to me personally, since my apartment is FREEZING right now!

1. K9keystrokes profile image93
          K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here's to keeping you warm Simone! smile
          Cheers~K9

5. ThePracticalMommy profile image93
      ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago

Here's my hub about decluttering your home from toys. I just had to go through this process recently due to my daughter's 1st birthday coming up and then Christmas right after. Yikes!

http://thepracticalmommy.hubpages.com/_ … Playthings

Hahaa, that's no small feat! What a timely and useful Hub this is, ThePracticalMommy. Love it! I think a lot of your tips can be adapted for grown-ups' toys, too! Hehee

Yup nice hub, looking forward to reading more wonderful hubs smile
          Simone is absolutely right hehe big_smile

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image93
            ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

wink

2. K9keystrokes profile image93

I really enjoyed the real down to earth feel of your hub, and the pointers for decluttering toys are awesome. smile

1. carol3san profile image60
          carol3sanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not that organized myself.  Maybe if I write about it I can get myself better organized.

2. ThePracticalMommy profile image93

Thanks, K9keystrokes!

6. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 5 years ago

Oh man, i have a series of these and some still in the writing phase, but I've already created the hubs, yet have not published them yet!!!  Bummer - this is so up my writing alley!

I wouldn't mind seeing them posted here Jane. They aren't published anywhere else so it seems like this is the perfect place for them land! smile

2. Simone Smith profile image92

Yeah! Just because a Hub doen't specifically answer a WTI question doesn't mean it can't be included in the WTI fun! Share them as you publish them in this thread!

7. EricGoode profile image73
      EricGoodeposted 5 years ago

I think the majority of us are winterizing our homes at this point in the year. I think it would benefit those who choose to write on home improvement to do so with tips that are within season. A lot of people take on home improvement projects during warmer months during the year. Just a suggestion. There are several things that we can do to improve our homes year round and right now the majority of us should be preparing for a cold winter.

8. barryrutherford profile image31
      barryrutherfordposted 5 years ago
      1. gabgirl12 profile image60
        gabgirl12posted 5 years ago in reply to this

This will be a first for me. And this comes at a time when 'budgeting' for the holidays is so important so you have enough for gift giving. Nothing like DIY and killing clutter.

I am an avid list maker so your hub appeals to me on a myriad of levels!

1. 0
          Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wrote:

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Con … -with-Less

I don't know how to highlight this in blue.

What a super collection of De-cluttering tips!

9. 0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

Learned something today to add to my tech skills!  The BLUE is automatic.  WooHoo!

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
      DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

Ah, crud!  I did it again!  Saw the topic & jumped on it--wrote the article..and totally forgot to do so by means of clicking the "answer this question" button..  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hmm...still have to take the photos..it's not published yet... I wonder--can I copy/save it to MSWord--then delete the current article, and do it the right way around??  Or would there be a delay that would preclude my using the same title I've got locked in?

No worries, DzyMsLizzy! You don't HAVE to make the Hub as an answer to a question. Though if you wanted to go back and make it so, so would only lose the ability to use the same URL, methinks. So either way works! Just be sure to share a link to the finished Hub here! I can't wait to read it!

11. carol3san profile image60
      carol3sanposted 5 years ago

This is my hub on tips for organizing the kitchen, closets and bathrooms
      http://carol3san.hubpages.com/hub/Tips- … nd-Closets

I learned a bunch from this Hub... especially that I'm a total slob T___T

Great hub! smile

12. homesteadbound profile image90
      homesteadboundposted 5 years ago

Here's my set of tips to de-clutter the bedroom.
      http://homesteadbound.hubpages.com/hub/ … om-Clutter

A beautiful collection of tips! And quite the pretty and nicely-formatted Hub, too!

Perfection from beginning to end. smile

13. 0

I enjoy raking leaves.  The work leans towards gardening, but I see it as home upkeep, too.  Or I just published another Hub for my 30/30.

http:arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Enjoy-Raking-Leaves

1. 0

Love this! I've actually never had the chance to rake leaves before... now I really want to!

Arlene, this is a very helpful hub. I adore that you 'rule out'  the use of that well known heavy and loud gardening device! wink

14. AliciaC profile image97
      AliciaCposted 5 years ago

I created a hub about decluttering techniques that work for my family.

http://aliciac.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … -Organized

15. alissaroberts profile image97
      alissarobertsposted 5 years ago

Love to use cubby organizers in my home to store all our extra clutter. Here is my hub:

http://alissaroberts.hubpages.com/hub/O … th-Cubbies

16. alphagirl profile image79
      alphagirlposted 5 years ago

I want to share with others things that we take for granted when doing a simple remodel. it is never that simple. Read, research and measure. Take pics so that you can remember what your bath looks like. Know where things are located. Good luck to anyone thinking about a remodel project.

17. 0

Anyone who has ever had a beagle in the family knows they are great escape artists.  Our beagle escaped twice during the long Thanksgiving weekend, but we were able to find him.  The first time, he went visiting with the dogs in the neighborhood, and I walked down the street and found him.  The second time, my husband stood in the yard and yelled, "Treaties!"  The old beagle dog quickly came back on his own.  We spent most of the holiday repairing the picket fence and used the proper nails to keep everything together.  The proper nails do make a big difference.

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/How … cket-Fence   
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5820721_f248.jpg

alphagirlposted 5 years ago

My computer crashed as I was about to post my link about remodeling an older bath and de-cluttering. The details in a bath are easily overlooked and can affect the end use. I have some suggestions for those with older baths. My friend told me what she was doing to her bath. I tried to advise over the phone. But some things do not translate. She did not realize til after her vanity was installed the other set problems. Like the mirror did not fit and her vanity was much higher than she expected. She had to settle for a simpler mirror and not the matching one to the vanity. My friend is a writer and she does not find any joy in decorating and or remodeling.Her primary focus was to update without going broke.
        She knew her vanity fit in width, but she never even considered the height.
        http://alphagirl.hubpages.com/hub/Famil … o-Bungalow
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5821784_f248.jpg

1. asmaiftikhar profile image79
          asmaiftikharposted 5 years ago

http://asmaiftikhar.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … uest-room.
          Hello simon,
          here are few tips related to decoration of home guest room.Hope you would like it.

2. Jason Menayan profile image61
          Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago

Some really great Hubs I've been seeing here - thank you for sharing them, and keep 'em coming!

As a person who feels overwhelmed by clutter - my better half usually handles it, while I deal with cleaning - it's nice to get tips and tricks that make something that normally seems daunting feel (possibly) manageable!

Happy Monday! smile

Hey Jason Thanks for your comments. And happy Monday to you.!

3. PegCole17 profile image90
          PegCole17posted 5 years ago

Fellow DIYers I've put together a hub on my experiences when I bought my first fixer upper investment house. Oh, boy. Hope you will take a look.

http://pegcole17.hubpages.com/hub/My-DI … treet?done

Thanks for the inspiration on this great topic. I've got a bunch of pictures of more remodeling so watch out, there may be more to come.

Very good "from experience" advice. Super good images as well.

4. Just Ask Susan profile image87
          Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

Here is one for basket ideas to organize and keep the clutter under control.
          http://just-ask-susan.hubpages.com/hub/ … nd-Helpful

This is a must read hub for the basket lover in all of us! wink

5. 0

With gift baskets coming at me during Christmas, I like the timely subject of what to do with baskets besides using them next year for future gift baskets.  I gave up on making my own.  This includes a 5th grader project and a pine needle basket with the proper stitching.  Yeeeecccch.  I did enjoy the Hub, and will leave the basket weaving to someone else.

6. 0

Since getting these ideas for Hubs, things have been falling apart at my home.  Who needs inspiration when you are already fixing things?

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Con … g-the-Home

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Usi … htub-Drain

7. 0
          sestasikposted 5 years ago

There are so many great hubs on organization, I really had a hard time coming up with a topic smile!

Here's mine on how to keep action figures and Transformers accessories in line (something we struggled with for years while my son was interested in those toys).

Action Figure and Transformers Shelf: Organizing Toys with Multiple Pieces

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image93

I really like the sorting box pan idea!

8. DeborahNeyens profile image94
          DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago

Being the green-lovin' gal I am, I hate the thought of people decluttering their homes only to send a bunch of stuff to the landfill.  So my hub is focused on getting rid of things that can be put to good use by charitable organizations.

http://deborahneyens.hubpages.com/_26b9 … arity?done

9. 0

Twenty years ago, I collected old cookie jars and costume jewelery as a way to deal with my unhappy marriage.  Got rid of the husband and the costume jewelry, but I have around 25 vintage cookie jars.  The cookie jar would have to be in very good condition (no chips, cracks or missing paint) to catch my attention.  You'll notice that the older, rare ones can sell for as much as $350 in a shop.  I do love my cookie jars, and give three of them double duty because they look good and have sentimental value.  Not only that, they are big enough to hold a lot of kitchen utensils and neatly keep them organized on my kitchen counter.  Easy to reach when needed!  The jar pictured on the right is an old bean pot.

http://arlenevpoma/hubpages.com/hub/Using-Old-Cookie-Jars-as-Kitchen-Utensil-Storage   
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5833412_f248.jpg

10. 0

If you spend way too much time researching, writing, and editing your online piece, you're wasting time and money.  When you accept an online project, don't aim to create a literary masterpiece and take your sweet time.  Do your readers a favor and aim for articles and illustrations which can be understood by the masses for the information it provides.

http://arlenevpoma/hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Organize-Your-Time-for-Online-Writing

11. Attikos profile image78
          Attikosposted 5 years ago

Reducing clutter. Getting rid of unused things. Simplifying. I'm going to have to write an article on that. Following the death of my wife almost two years ago, that's been a prime objective in my house, so I have more experience with it than I'd ever have chosen.

12. DIYweddingplanner profile image89
          DIYweddingplannerposted 5 years ago

OK, time for me to jump into the fray...

http://diyweddingplanner.hubpages.com/h … -Organized

13. gabgirl12 profile image60
          gabgirl12posted 5 years ago

Is there still time to post a hub for this topic? I'm still tweaking mine. When is the last day to submit your hub?

14. 61
          johnsonandrews5posted 5 years ago

i am planning to write something about Home and Office Storage Solutions... Hope I can finish within the 2-week schedule..

Urban City Rentals Inc. offers a complete range of Rental Property Management services in Vancouver for your investment property.White Rock Property Management

15. gabgirl12 profile image60
          gabgirl12posted 5 years ago

http://gabgirl12.hubpages.com/hub/De-cl … -Your-Mind

It's not about the home, but its something. It's a different perspective. I'm sure all of us have felt like we had too much on our minds at some point.

16. carol3san profile image60
          carol3sanposted 5 years ago
        17. 0
          1. 0

Hit and miss with the blue highlights.

18. 0

Why, thank you for the compliment, Emily.  Beagles are very cute, but people quickly find out that they will take off and ignore you.  They are sweet dogs and good around children, but they do have fabulous personalities and are quite comical.  This is my second beagle, and he is a rescue dog.  I will probably weaken and adopt another beagle.  My husband and I know the breed well, so we won't have any surprises.

19. 61
          ederlyfposted 5 years ago

everyday clutter!

20. 0

I love to rake leaves, but my husband feels that having a rake in his hands is beneath him.  I needed to give him equal time since he is an inspiration for this Hub.  Is this the passive way of clearing your yard of leaves if the wind is on your side?  I notice he is not the only one doing this since plenty of my neighbors also follow the "Born Free" method.

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/The … ing-Leaves

1. Attikos profile image78
            Attikosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I let the bulk of them fall, then chop them up with the lawnmower, emptying the mower's bag into the beds to rot in as mulch.

21. Simone Smith profile image92
          Simone Smithposted 5 years ago

Daaaaaang! Y'all created some AMAZING Hubs on this subject! I'm glad we made the theme a two weeker. Now that I'm back from vacation, I see I've got a lot of catch-up reading to do!

In the meantime though, I wanted to share the new WTI thread with y'all. This week's theme is quality of life and wellness! I hope you'll join in on the fun. You have really good housecleaning advice, so I would love to read your Hubs about cleaning up entire LIFESTYLES! Hehee! big_smile

Glad you are back. I have really enjoyed being here as a hubber. I have ideas on wellness.

22. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
          DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

Along with the White Rabbit... "I'm late, I'm late!..."

But, here is the hub I was working on, and never hit 'answer question' becuase it was already written and waiting for photos when the topic was announced, AND because I was pushing for the 30-in-30..
          But, here it is anyway, Painting tips for homeowners:

http://dzymslizzy.hubpages.com/hub/Pain … Homeowners

working