Do you have a £1 shop or a $1 shop where you live?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

In London, there are some shops called "The £1 shop". Everything in it, is just for £1 and it's amazing to see some of the stuff you can get. However, you could end up spending about £10.

Do you have such shops in your area and are they worth it? smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lots of them. They are good for picking up things like sponges, kitchen tools, glassware, notepads, etc. I do avoid the food aisle though. I think they are worth it. You might spend $10 but in another store it might have cost you $20 or more.

2. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We call them dollar stores here. Got pounded for entering one.

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I don't think they can be quite the same then.

Before I left the UK there were shops like Poundstretcher that sold everything for £1, but it was stuff like sponges, notepads etc.

I have a pal who lives here who frequently goes back to UK and she raves about the £1 shops.

You can buy stuff that even the cheapest supermarkets sell for £2-3, all for just £1.

Like (for example because she got some for me) 24 pack cigarette papers for £1. That would cost about £20 here, and in the UK about £8.

The UK has some great bargains but they don't realise. Try living on the continent (Europe) for a while where shop prices go up and up and inflation stays the same (apparently) because all the politicians are lying through their teeth while the country is heading towards bankruptcy.

Oops...got carried away there.

I'd love a real £ shop here. They'd make a fortune.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but I cry when I go to Europe and see all the fantastic fruit, vegetables and fish in even the smallest markets in the smallest places. I can only dream of quality and variety like that in the Rhondda.

We did have a pound shop here, but it closed. There is a little hardware man, though, whose shop is an Aladdin's cave, and much of his stuff is priced at £1.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

We have a pound shop where I live, however, they don't sell fruit or veg, just batteries and useful household cleaning stuff. Whenever you look at the back of the packet though, it's always "made in China."

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

30 years ago, they always used to say "Made in Hong Kong".

Westernised nations have this thing about wanting to pay less for goods. At the same time they want their workers to be paid more. The two don't marry too well, so in steps a country with poor working conditions, pay and labour relations but who can sell something at a fraction of the price because of that.

And still we (and I am just as guilty as anyone) buy them, because they are cheap.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, to be honest though I haven't bought anything from there in the longest time. When I did it was cartons of orange  juice which my daughter used to take to school. My mum, however, is addicted to the place.

4. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts everyone.
    It was interesting to read.

@Izzy - Hope you will come back for Olympics 2012. smile

5. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

A lot of the stuff is generally discontinued, overstock, etc.  Some of the stuff is actually pretty decent.  I buy the cleaners at the $1 store in my area.  They are called LA's Totally Awesome and so far they have been the best cleaners I've ever used.  I've bought toilet cleaners, degreasers, etc and have yet to be unhappy with them.

6. Jerrico Usher profile image57
    Jerrico Usherposted 12 years ago

yep dollar tree, the 99 cent clearance center, used to be the 99 cent store- the greatest thing ever. I just bought those soda can toppers (puts a lid on a can so carbonation doesn't deplete) for 1.00 for 20 tops, it was on television less than a year ago for 10.00 and before that for 20.00 (they force you to pay additional shipping for a "second set" totaling
    20 on tv). Many things end up at the dollar store from tv,  I even grocery shop (to an extent) there...amazing place when your broke and groceries are out- and a great place to retail therapy without losing more than 20.00 smile

7. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

The dollar store is great!  Especially right now with all the Christmas wrappings and decor!

8. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

We have a "Daiso" store here which is a Japanese version of the same concept, except everything's $1.50. The added bonus is the plethora of Japanese household oddities that don't really exist elsewhere here. Love the place!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds quite cool actually. I'd love to see what they offer.

2. carol3san profile image59
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We refere to it as "the dollar store." We have plenty of hem in our town.

9. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

I visited a store in London five years ago called the 99p Store, and there was nearly everything in there! We got really good batteries, lotions, shampoos and I got myself a set of nice notebooks (called 'jotters' I believe) that I still use up to today! We keep some of them by the telephone.

In Barbados, we have a $2 store and a $3 store. the $2 store is good for getting children's books and toys, soaps and shampoos, while the $3 is really good for housewares, snacks and Christmas decorations.

Lady_Eposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I must check them out when I visit barbados. smile

10. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

Poundland! At least I assume its still there, never usually go in it though. Last time I did go in I bought some large packs of sweets for halloween (not this year) for £1 and later realised they were actually cheaper in other shops!

Does Poundland still exist?  I only wonder as no one else from the UK has mentioned it.

It does. I posted the question and I live in London. Best Wishes.

11. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 12 years ago

I shop at the £ shop almost daily and spend way more than a £ everytime lol

Lol. Maybe you need to set  a timer when you go in there. (In and out 5mins) = Less spending. smile

12. gramarye profile image59
    gramaryeposted 12 years ago

We have $2 shops - great for getting stickers for my grand daughters!

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Like gramarye above, in Australia and we have $2 shops everywhere. They once started selling items for two bucks or less, now items are 10 cents to up to forty dollars dependent on what one purchases.

14. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

We have an awful lot of them here. In these trying times, it seems that whenever a shop shuts down is it replaced by a Pound Shop.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)