jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

For those of you who wish you were born in another era....

1. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

a simpler time, a more decent time...  here is a CNN article about what it must have been like in the medieval times...

Kabul (CNN) -- The ordeal of Gulnaz did not simply begin and end with the physical attack of her rape. The rape began a years-long nightmare of further pain, culminating in an awful choice she must now make....

(edited for space).....

The rapist was her cousin's husband.

After the attack, she hid what happened as long as she could. But soon she began vomiting in the mornings and showing signs of pregnancy. It was her attacker's child.

In Afghanistan, this brought her not sympathy, but prosecution. Aged just 19, she was found guilty by the courts of sex outside of marriage -- adultery -- and sentenced to twelve years in jail.

Now inside Kabul's Badam Bagh jail, she and her child are serving her sentence together. I started screaming, but he shut me up by putting his hands on my mouth

Sitting with the baby in her lap, her face carefully covered, she explains the only choice she has that would end her incarceration.

The only way around the dishonor of rape, or adultery in the eyes of Afghans, is to marry her attacker. This will, in the eyes of some, give her child a family and restore her honor.

The article is quite lengthy, so I didn't post the rest of it here, but it can be found at

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/22/world/asi … ?hpt=hp_c3

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I always thought it would have been nice but in reality I was just romanticizing.  The lack of modern facilities alone would be enough to change my mind although if I didn't know the difference...well i guess I'm just a romantic.  I think it would be nice to be a hobbit, also, providing I can live the way Bilbo did...lots of food in the larder (which he never seemed to have to make), peaceful environment, no electric bill.  smile

2. vox vocis profile image92
      vox vocisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is something new to you? It'll be better if I keep my opinion to myself this time...And, I think this era is a blessing compared to previous ones. Well, living in the Roman Empire time (in Rome) wouldn't be bad, if we assume that I lived as an aristocrat and not a slave LOL

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Anyone who wishes to have been more in another era is lacking something about living. I guess that's the most obvious thing about it.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

..so sad

1. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

agree and so often........ sad

4. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 4 years ago

When a lot of people said they wished they lived in simpler times, they are really imagining a world with modern facilities but a natural paradise (like a vacation).