Random Hub of the Day

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. jtyler profile image61
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

I believe that it would be beneficial if there was a random hub of the day (or hour for that matter) under or above the hub of the day.  That might be a cool way to give some people attention.  Just have some sort of random algorithm select a hub, then have someone read it to make sure it isn't spam, then put it up.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So basically two hubs of the day? Sort of defeats the purpose to me.

1. jtyler profile image61
        jtylerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it could be in a different section, with the hub of the day emphasized, but still there.  It could be a random hub with a score over 70 an hour.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with that. The hub of the day is not really about publicizing an author, it's as Melbel stated, it's supposed to show well written hubs that uses original photos or videos and are very useful and informative.

As UW stated, it would defeat the purpose of have 'a' hub of the day.

2. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I don't know, I think the point of the Hub of the Day is to show users examples of well-written hubs in order to kind of push others to make higher quality hubs.

Showing a random hub wouldn't have any purpose other than to promote something that might not be the best of quality.

Also, it would be kind of hurtful to me if one person gets "Awesome Hub of the Day" (currently just called 'Hub of the Day') and I got the lesser "Crappy Hub of the Day."

There are too many factors that mods have to look out for in order to post something as hub of the day, things that an auto-mod tool can't check for, legal use of images being the singlemost difficult factor even for human mods to consider when picking a top hub. (I can only imagine how difficult it is for mods to say "no" to some of the fantastic hubs out there just because of this reason.) These same requirements are likely ones that HubPages would use for "Random Hub of the Hour" or what have you.

Also, just because something meets the requirements, doesn't mean it's something worth promoting. I've seen some absolutely FANTASTIC hubs that have a single mistake like pictures that weren't legally used... and, at the same time, I've seen absolute stinkers that meet all the rules. I can imagine it being a difficult process for mods to find something that even just qualifies for hub of the day.

Furthermore, "random hub of the day" or "of the hour" would kind of devalue "hub of the day".

That said, I think HubPages tries to give everyone a chance. For example, user XYZ might continually produce AMAZING hubs perfect for hub of the day every day. And user ABC might produce one kind of cool hub. HubPages would probably give user ABC a showcase as hub of the day so it's not all lopsided with XYZ hubs. Otherwise, all we'd see as hub of the day would be people from this list:
    http://hubpages.com/authors/best/ and that wouldn't be any fun!

Keep working at it and you'll see one of your hubs as hub of the day. The best thing to do is just get immersed in the learning center and have fun with it.

I hope this helps. smile

3. jtyler profile image61
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

I see what you're saying, but I think that it would still be a cool idea.  It would hurt anything, but it could help genuine writers gain traffic.  At the least, it would help a bad writer gain a little bit of traffic only, but at the most, it would help a great writer gain more traffic for a long time.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Uninvited Writer, melbel and relache--it would defeat the purpose and dilute the honor for the actual Hub of the Day winners.
      Hub Pages staff works very hard already to feature and reward those who produce great content, and even so, there are a lot of awesome hubs that don't get chosen, but if you consistently write well, you stand as good a chance as anyone to get your turn on the carousel.
      There are plenty of ways to read lots of great hubs--the "Hub-Hopper" tool is just one of them.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

If you want a random hub of the day, just go click through the hub hopper.

5. Savva Pelou profile image61
    Savva Pelouposted 12 years ago

Relache is right, random hubs can be seen by hopping.  The big problem with choosing a "random hub of the day" is that hubs that infringe copyright, are not well written and/or are too promotional may become one.  These hubs become the face of hubpages and although i do not work for hubpages, I would hate to see an entry that brings down the reputation of Hubpages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)