hub earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (43 posts)
  1. marieryan profile image74
    marieryanposted 12 years ago

I am a very patient  person, some of my friends think I am too patient:

I have written 21 hubs, I began in November 2009. Exactly 2 years ago.
    I have had 8,900 page views.
    I was away from hubpages for a few months and now am physically able to continue my writings but......
    Now,  my earninngs report only starts in October 2011. I don't know why.
    I have accumulated TOTAL earnings of $0.85.

I constantly read hubs, on hubpages,  about writing and perhaps making a small income on HUBPAGES.  I am beginning to think that this is a mis-truth.

so if 8,900 page views can yield an average of $0.85 , it will take me about 6 years and 126 hubs to make $5 dollars.

I would understand if I was such a bad writer.......I must be, but is there only $0.85 benefit for almost 9000 page views?
    I have enjoyed very much the 'spirit' of hubpages and would really like to continue my writing here.......this is a wonderful forum for those of us who enjoy writing ....but perhaps hubs about making a little money are not really drawing a true picture...
    please help....

1. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have about the same number of hubs and I made $12 this month with hubpages' ad program alone.

Do you have the ad program on or are you just using adsense?
      I think you need to take a look at Google Adwords Keyword Tool (just google for it) and search for less competitive topics.

It's actually not that hard. Find keywords with some decent traffic (1000 to 15000 global monthly), that have little competition (less than 1,000,000 search results), and do a little bit of promotion to get google's juices going.

I don't know if you'll find anything easy to write for within the same style of hubs you have right now. Language-wise, most common languages I've done keyword research on only have a few left good keywords, which are almost always about automated translators. Weight loss wise, it might take you hours to find a good keyword.

Switch to something more niche, like maybe a Spanish or Latino tradition or recipe.

marieryanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rising Caren,
        thanks for your reply! I believe I DO have adsense, (it says 'active' on my statistics page)
        I understand I will just have to work harder at the whole thing.....it's going to be a project of a life-time....thanks for your advice. I will start to work on all the tips and advice everyone has been so kind in giving.

1. Rising Caren profile image80
          Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I figured you had adsense since you said you earned some money and it's not like you can sign up for Hubpages' ad program without adsense (you can't).

I was just wondering if you had JUST adsense or if you had both Adsense and HP's ad program. In My Account -> Earnings, under "HubPages Earnings Program Settings", where it says "Ad program", see if it's active. The Ad program is better than adsense - at least for people who aren't good at getting clicks - so you want to make sure you're signed up for it.

2. Christa Michelle profile image59
        Christa Michelleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thank you for the info

1. Christa Michelle profile image59
          Christa Michelleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been on here for 5 days and made 53 cents so far and the last two days have not yet posted, they are still pending. God bless you. Money isn't everything. Enjoy writing and don't worry about it.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think less patience and more writerly elbow grease is what would best remedy your situation.

hi, relache,
        I think you are right! After the avalanche of good solid advice replying to my questions, it's time to try and start getting my act together and improve my writing....and write much more....thanks for your good advice!

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have 3 times the number of hubs & my HP ads are around $24 so far this month.  My traffic has been much higher, but certainly not sky high. I don't write about 'targeted' topics - just write what I feel like.  I've applied some tips as people have suggested here - done a bit of keyword searching etc.   I'm sure others could make a lot more than I do.  I hardly make anything from adsense or amazon though - never really did, as I haven't written product hubs. 
      I agree that many of your topics are very high competition, so probably never see the light of day. 
      It's not necessary quantity of hubs either - some hubbers seem to earn extremely well with only a modest number of hubs (up to a few hundred).  They seem to have knack of choosing topics that rank well - probably because low competition

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Do you have an Adsense account? Do you have an Amazon account? Do you have an Ebay account? The HP earnings program is relatively new so you would not see earnings from 2009.

Earning depends on how much outside traffic you get. 8900 views over 2 years is basically nothing I'm sad to say.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with UW. The HP earning program only opened up to all hubbers this past April (I think).

In order for the views to count there has to be outside traffic. That .85 you saw are from external traffic to HP.

Thanks, Cardisa, I'm starting to get the idea now...

2. marieryan profile image74

Hi, Uninvited writer; yes, I do have Adsense, e-Bay, Amazon; at least 'Status' reads 'Active' so is that what you mean?
      Thanks for letting me know my page views were so low! I had NO IDEA! This is really useful info and has helped me get my ambitions into perspective....Thanks again

3. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

What earnings program do you use? If you use HubAds, then you should have earned more than that given your views.

That said, that's very few views. You might want to write more hubs and kind of add more to your writing portfolio. Also, check hubs that aren't receiving very much traffic and see what you can do to improve them. (Add HubPages to your Google Analytics and keep an eye on things there.)

I read your hub on quitting smoking and while it looked well-written, the quit smoking niche can be a tough nut to crack... same with the weight loss niche. They're high paying niches, but, sadly, everyone and their grandma are writing weight loss articles.

You could try finding some keywords that you can easily "ace", so to speak. That way, while everyone is going after things like weight loss, you can apply your writing skills to some of the less competitive niches and totally just own them.

Try these particular entries in the learning center:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/long … ch-traffic
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/topics
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/doing-your-research

If you'd like to peruse the index of the learning center, just head on to:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

Also, since keyword research can be a pain, one thing I find VERY valuable is the weekly topic inspiration:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/1 (It's one of the blue colored topics, this week's is on de-cluttering and home improvement)
    Within the weekly topic thread, a HubPages staff member shares some keywords that she handpicked. You don't HAVE to get a hub done within the week, either. I'm ALWAYS late on the weekly topic inspiration. And, of course, if the topic of the week bores you to death, you can always skip it or do a past week's inspiration topic.

Just find more keywords and have fun with it. It can be stressful finding things to write about that are both interesting and have an earning potential, but it can be done.

I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't panned out thus far. It seems that traffic seems to be your issue, from what I saw you seem to have good writing skills. Just keep at it. smile

Best of luck and let me know if you need anything. smile

-Melanie

Hi, melbel, thanks for a WEALTH of information in your reply that will take me some time to get through! But in the meantime, I was wondering if you would know why in the "Earnings reports" under "All time" my statistics begin on October 28th 2011, and apparently there has been a trickle of a few cents each day...
      Yet on the Statistics of Hubs with all info about my hubs, traffic, page views etc., it shows November 2009 as publication of first hub. Just wondering why SUDDENLY in October, 2011 something changed dramatically....and my 0.85cents literally can be traced back to this last month only,and surprising every day, albeit very little per day,,,any thoughts?

2. marieryan profile image74

Hi  melbel again,
      I think I need some more advice! When I try to access info on adsense, a window keeps appearing where I must confirm my details, I seem to tick all the boxes again and again regularly, probably monthly.....I always get a reply:
      Thank you for your interest in Google AdSense. Unfortunately, after
      reviewing your application, we're unable to accept you into AdSense at
      this time.

We did not approve your application for the reasons listed below.

CANNOT FIND WEBSITE- INVALID URL
      however, I always give what I assumed was the URL as it appears on my profile page inthe address box :
      http//marieryan.hubpages.com/

so am I NOT signed up to Adsense, even though it says "active" in my settings??
      thank you so much for any advice you can give!

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

This is pure guessing and speculation on my part, but I'd wonder if the problem could be a matter of a combination of having only a few Hubs, apparently being inactive for a long time, and having those relative few Hubs about subjects for which there's a lot of stuff out there already (and stuff that's provided by more authoritative/expert sites than HubPages).  Losing weight, the learn-Spanish-related Hubs, and quitting smoking are all subjects about which tons of stuff by experts is out there.  Basic medical issues (like weight loss and quitting smoking) are generally covered by medical-related sites (or else by companies aimed specifically at products in those areas). 

The Hubs and forum posts that tell others they can actually earn something on here are not inaccurate.  People can and do earn.

If I'm at all correct on what might be causing such low traffic I'd think it could be fixed by:

Writing some more Hubs, and generally being active (as opposed to being completely inactive) on this site (nobody has to be on the forums all the time, and nobody has to read and comment on "zillions" of Hubs).

Maybe aim for subjects that aren't covered by more expert/authoritative sites, or else approach those subjects with the idea of what you, personally, can bring to the subject (as opposed to a more generalized, overall, approach to something like losing weight).  I pretty much think if you're competing with authorities/experts then the only way to do that is to approach the writing in a way that offers something more unique.  ("Different" doesn't have to mean "conflicting with research" - only with a unique perspective.)  (Because I don't even know if I'm correct about the OP's traffic situation, I'm not - at all - suggesting deleting the Hubs and starting over.  I'm only saying I'd approach new Hubs differently than some existing ones.  In fact, I'm wondering if adding new Hubs with the idea of adding something different/unique on a subject that's not quite as commonly covered might then bring more traffic to the existing Hubs.

Another thought:  If you think about, it frequently takes people some months before earning (eight months is common, for example).  Of 24 months (two years), that would leave only sixteen months beyond that first eight.  Out of that sixteen, there was a six-month Panda slap on the whole site, so now we're down to only ten months when the OP might have expected to earn much of anything.  After Panda, what Google was looking for changed in a lot of ways; and it's only been - what - about three months since the "slap" was lifted?  Now we're down to seven "unaccounted for" months.  I'd think, given apparent inactivity, so few Hubs, and the high percentage of well covered subjects; that seven months of no-earnings wouldn't be all that surprising.

Whether or not I'm correct about my guesses, I'd say the OP should know that people can/do make money on here, and that reading the links provided by melbel would be a good place to start from now on.  Any existing, well written, Hubs aren't likely to hurt anything (I wouldn't think); but some new ones that might be more likely to attract traffic might mean the OP's subdomain would offer a little more "uniqueness" to the mix of Hubs. 

In any case, there are always people on the forums here who are willing to try to help with answering any questions, so that can be helpful to some people.  Other than that, keeping writing is pretty much the way to earn (or at least keeping writing until you have more than twenty-one Hubs built up).  I've read (in a "reliable source") that there's been a correlation seen between having fifty or more Hubs and getting more traffic.

Hi, Lisa HW, thanks for commenting so extensively....I am getting to work on all of your suggestions...and now realise that my few hubs are an insignificance. I didn't realise that before, so it's been greaat to get a realistic picture from you more experienced hubbers...just wondering why my Earnings reports starts at October 28th 2011, and shows a trickle of daily earnings which all add up to my $0.85. So $0 for 2 years and then $0.85 in 30 days..However, I really understand now that I must keep writing and enjoy the moment! "Carpe Diem" as they say...

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Aside from the good advice others have mentioned above, earnings are not necessarily linear.

I have almost 300 hubs now.  Some have never had views since they were first written.  Others still get visitors every day.

At my main web site, I have thousands of articles, but it's mostly the same handful that make money every month. The rest do not. 

You can't always know what will be a winner and what won't.  The advice above is good general advice, but sometimes something that shouldn't do well just takes off and vice versa.

There are people who are very good at picking "winners".  I'm not one of those folks, but I still get some through dumb luck now and then.  You may be better at it than I am (I hope so!) or worse.  My best advice is to keep on plugging.

Thanks, Pcunix, for a note of realism.....the mysteries of HUBPAGES never ceases to....

2. barryrutherford profile image74
      barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree Pcunix  It is very very hard to pick winners.  The evergreen hubs I have got you would never have picked them in a month of Sundays but they continue to outperform all others rain hail or shine...

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people make it look easy, though.. maybe it is, for them.  Maybe they are better attuned to the keywords buyers will use, who knows..

6. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

I don't know if anyone read your hubs. I did. None of them are optimized for SEO so it is highly unlikely that they will get to the first page of Google. The topics you have selected are also highly competitive as there are many language schools who teach the same thing. If people are searching to learn Spanish, then the search engines are more likely to bring up language schools. Your articles are probably on page 3071 and, if they are, they will never see the light of day.

Hi Sophi Angelique,
      thanks for helping out here....you really humbled me on saying "your articles are not optimized for SEO". I could not agree with you more, they are certainly NOT!! After 'googling' SEO, I find 'Search Engine Optimization'. I have got a lot of work to do here, I see. Thanks again.

7. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Try and pick topics which you think would display profitable ads, for example, if you write about technology, you will have a lot of ads displaying expensive items.
    Advertisers pay more for these types of ads.

Hi Richieb, 799,
      thanks for the advice.....will try and do more research and get my 'commercial' hat on!

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Well, for a start you will need a few hundred hubs to get a monthly payment, and that assumes they are well-optimized and fully monetized.

hi psycheskinner,
      "well-optimized and fully monetized" sounds like it will take me forever to learn how to do...Thanks for the advice! Something tells me it's not going to be a bed of roses,is it?

9. fastfreta profile image75
    fastfretaposted 12 years ago

Well folks, I don't know what it is that gets me the $$$ I get, because I don't really know anything about keywords, and SEO. hmm  However I have made a "few" $$$, nowhere near the $$$ that most make. Anyway for some reason this year I started to see more Google hits.  I've been here over 2 years, so maybe it takes time for the hubs to "marinate." I've made two payouts for Google, and one for HP, and I'm set to make payout monthly with HP Ads. Believe me when I say this, I'm nowhere near the top when it comes to writing the type of hubs that would garner great readership.  It took me all this time to get over 100,000 views, when some get it in months, or at least in one year.

So all I can say is write, and wait patiently, because it will come. Of course you should follow the advice of the hubbers that are making big $$$, and you'll probably make it quicker, and I might add, a whole lot more than I make.

NOW, THAT'S MY 2 CENTS!big_smile

Hi Fastfreta, thanks for commenting and helping me out here....no, it sounds as if it's not that easy at all...but you sound as if you are working hard, just as I will be now! I love to think I get to know a few like-minded folk out there and have this opportunity to get good advice and connect up. Thanks for comments.

10. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

You don't know the name of the game. You fell for the pitch.
            Make Big $$$ on the Internet . . . I got your ticket right here!http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5769766_f520.jpg
                                 cartoon: Chip Curry (copyright 2011)

You get 3,000 people slinging words all day and divert the search engine. You sell ads. You split with word slingers when and if someone clicks the ad. If it were for quality writing, writer would get a piece of what the advertiser (client) pays to place the ad on your page. A million visitors = 1,000,000 visitors  =  no $ without clicks. Clicks = $. Sales from eBay or Amazon = $. Everything else is wind up your booty.  Get together with your buddies and click ads for each other. Your hub could be about how peanut shells absorb dripage in your shorts . . . minimum words, no pictures, no hub karma, no back-links. Now go write about 200 hubs about sports cars and put max eBay capsules. Maybe someone will sell a Ferrari and you will make $20.00.

Read this article. Biggest botnet scam ever!
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news … ackers.ars

Hi WD Curry 111
      Now, now, don't get cynical, WD! Remember,it's all about quality writing and interesting articles...But thanks for commenting and I will bear everything you said in mind.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm just fooling around. My hubs are some of the best one's on here. I have been working in publications for over thirty years as an artist and a writer. In a print publication, you get paid for quality writing. Here, you hope you do. You simply don't get paid for the content, hello?! It helps to attract readers, but the readers must then actively participate by clicking ads or buying products.

I am not into social networking, it don't float my boat. I am a production specialist and trainer. I know social networking fiends, it is like an addiction, and you can make "bank". I put a couple of them up to an experiment, "Blitz your network with check out what Chip is doing on HubPages." I had more traffic in two days than I had in 6 weeks . . . way more . . . way, way, way, more. They have some juice. I guess I made $2 or $3. Next time I will ask them to have their minions click on all of the ads and see how that goes. My buddy who just got laid off from NASA joked about writing a program to click ads. These guys beat him to it. KGB are broke so they fattened up with this little deal.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news … ackers.ars

My point is this. If you were being paid for quality content you would be paid by the word or by readership (per visit). You would be paid for the number of people who see the ads, not just click them. You aren't. Get that click, write about pancakes and sell maple syrup.

11. ElizabethJane555 profile image59
    ElizabethJane555posted 12 years ago

I love the story how God Is Watching Us..FROM A DISTANCE became a hit. A lady sold herself out to Companies providing airline music. Bette Midler heard the tune and from there the rest is history. Yes realisticly you won't make much to begin with but it you are a true artist this site will advertise That.  And who know WHo may read it.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's the spirit. I am glad this outfit let me have a stall in the market. How can you go wrong? It's free. I am trying to leverage local opportunities and interest. It may pan out.

12. nameisg profile image59
    nameisgposted 11 years ago

I've been here for 3 weeks already. Google adsense doesn't approve of my application. I have to wait for a year and show Google that I am passionate about writing. My advice for you is to stop depending that you'll earn big bucks here.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone here knows that earning a good amount depends on Adsense.  That is just how things are configured.

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why should someone stop hoping to make big bucks here? Why limit yourself. Of course it will take some time to make some good money and it will take the right types of hubs that will bring the right amount of traffic but it's doable.  I have made nowhere near what people like Relache is making but I get a check every month since the start of 2012.  I see the potential for making even more than I am making now as some of my hubs haven't even started aging as yet. I do nothing for 3 weeks and come back to find two of my hubs, one written early this year to have started getting 50+ views per day and one written less than 2 months ago getting 20+ views per day. That to me means progress as the potential for them to grow is huge. These are just examples.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)