Hubpage Members requesting money?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (84 posts)
  1. JT Walters profile image71
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

Is it appropriate for hubpage members to request monehy from me?  Because I feel they shouldn't ask for money.  We are all suppose to be working to create great hubs not pandle handle for money.  To be clear I have never asked for money from anyone on hubpages. 

Why are some hubpages members acting so predatorial towards other members?  Isn't it about working?

Because I am tired of being hit up for money when I am trying to work by people who are not working just as hard as I am at this opportunity.

All My Best,

JT

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you're talking about emails, they're probably scammers, not actual members of the community. I get them occasionally, mark them as spam (there's a link in the footer of the email) and delete them.

JT Waltersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No I am taling about members who email me directly requesting funds.

1. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unless they are being nasty or threatening, I'd simply ignore them! Looking at the TOS it's not specifically against the rules - but I guess it could be considered spam! If they keep on sending emails then report it to Support.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
            Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is spam and abuse, and there is a link at the bottom of the email to report it.

By the purest definition of the word 'spam' it is not against the TOS directly - especially if this is done directly to the personal email and not through Hubpages email.

I agree that this should be reported - but who to report it to? If they are not using Hubpages to send the email then HP cannot do anything....

2. livelonger profile image86
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've gotten some emails from people pretending to be a well-known Hubber on HubPages, but I know they're not (their names are different). It's just a classic scam email with a link to a well-known profile to add legitimacy.

At any rate, you can forward the email to team@ and ask them what should be done.

3. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's "abuse" and there should be a link on the email to report it as such.  After that, all you need to do is delete.

What is worse is I don't think there are actual rules against it so it is kind of a gry area and I worry for the young people and the elderly people on hubpages being taken advantage of.

1. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a grey area at all.

If you choose to click the link at the bottom of an email that came to you via the HubPages system that reads "abuse," you will see a message containing the follow excerpt. 

People emailing me unsolicited requests for money are, IMO, offensive, inappropriate, harassing and otherwise unwanted.  No grey area whatsoever...

That's the problem - this came outside of the HP system (it was stated the email was direct)...not sure how HP can do anything.....it's simply another email similar to the Nigerian Uncle emails - and I simply ignore these...

2. JT Walters profile image71

Right once they get your outside of the HP system is when you are in trouble and this is happening from HP members but outside of the HP system.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
                  Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you mark them as spam when you get them? That way the same person's emails will just go to that folder.

Currently I am going to block. But I think this person has gotten the picture I am on to him because he follows and I am certain he has read all of this.

Thank you though it is an excelent suggestion.

JT

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi J T Walters it's sad to hear about this. I've not received any mails of that sort. But I've requested spammy mails asking me to write 10 articles of 500 words each for $10... I just ignore those mail

Then  you my friend have been lucky. I think because I have so many hubs published they all think I have money.

1. IzzyM profile image88
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never been asked for money, so it isn't to do with the number of hubs you have.
          I think you should forward the emails to hubstaff as Livelonger suggests, and let them deal with it.

I will the next time it happens. I am hoping I will not have to go that far by bringing light to the situation.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

The rapid publication of hubs may be the reason smile They may think you're making fortunes and therefore writing so much.

I'm busy writing for my clients at present just waiting for a chance to write as much as you:)

Thanks lobobrandon x 2.

JT

1. lobobrandon profile image88

smile

smile

3. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They're everywhere and they get plenty from each site that allows personal messaging or any form of interaction. 

First comes the ingratiating contact by group of "friends" or the individual grifter, then come the never ending list of whining stories that eventually fail to add up in the truth department.

There are enough gullible people to keep this band of creeps going from site to site.  Look for the never ending problems and the aggressive inability to shut up and move on whenever someone challenges them.

Wow?  People are actually conceded enough to think I am gullible?  That is sad. Perhaps if they were willing to work and write they wouldn;t have to trick people out of their hard earned money but actually earn money themselves.  With the advent of the World Trade Organization you would think there would be a lot of money in keeping a registry of people who are involved in cyber crime or attempts therefore of.  Thanks for responding. I think by bringing light to this subject perhaps it will limit it on hubpages.

2. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

That's astounding.

However, should you take leave of your senses and decide to start sending out gifts, I will be happy to accept any amount not less than $5,000,000.00 U.S.

I'd like to be able to help you out by taking smaller amounts, but my wife says she's running out of deposit slips so we have to conserve them for really significant checks.

I'm sure you understand.

;-)  The check is in the mail.

JT

2. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix you always make me smile! ((lol))

3. cherylone profile image89
    cheryloneposted 12 years ago

I haven't received anything like that, but if I did I would be upset too.  I hope you do report them, it doesn't sound like they are being very hubbish at all.

It has happened but they direct email me and go aorund hubpages.  So it it happens to you just say, "No thanks!!".

Thanks friend.

JT

How do they have your direct email? If you have not given it out (or replied to a 'email' through hubpages) at some point then they should not have your personal email...

I replied early on when I first started.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
            Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

JT Walters,
            Be very careful who you give your personal email address to. It may be advisable to change it, and save the old one for spammers and those you want to ignore. I have exchanged addresses with a few people on HP who I learned to trust, and share similar interests. But HP already has a system so if someone undesireable tries to email you, you can see who it is and choose not to answe.=r.

4. msshandriaball profile image74
    msshandriaballposted 12 years ago

I haven't received any,but thanks for the heads up.Maybe you posting this will stop it.

Let's all hope that would be a wonderful gift for the holidays.

JT

5. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I would just ignore these emails. If people are struggling financially that's unfortunate, but I don't have funds to just hand out to people. Of course, there's also a good chance it's scammers trying to make a quick buck, which is even worse.

Yes but scammers should be on hubpages.  We have elderly people and young people participating in this this and they have a right to be protected from criminal activity.  I think one of them is a pro but I can't be absolutely positive so I nhaven't turned him in. It is cyber crime once they request funds and they are sent electronically.  I have considered entrapping these people but have tried to take the high road once again.
      As for hard times? Aren't we all having hard times right now?  That is no excuse. Thanks for responding.  JT

6. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

for a tidy sum of $19 delivered through PayPal, I will stop emailing you requests for money smile

Hi Greek One,

I have considered entrapping these criminals by sending funds elecronically. It becomes a felony once the funds are transfered that way. I have been dealing with this for quite a while.

I have already sent you 19 peso's check your paypal account. smile.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes!

jail time with 19 pesos would make my the big burro in prison!

But it would make for such a wonderful novel.  Shawshank Remeption Part II but in Mexico in Casteliic Spanish.

wink

JT

2. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will settle for 10 lololol

7. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

As I am understanding, the hubber emailed the OP over something, perhaps even in friendship, and the OP responded.

This gave the hubber the OP's email address, and then the bitching started, as JT said something to the effect that this person has since commented on her hubs a lot, in a derogatory fashion.

Now it has escalated to openly asking for, or demanding  money.

It is outside of HP's control because it is now a private request by email and not through HP.

But JT feels anxious enough to ask the community for help.

If anyone ever does this to me, I will name that person in the forums. My post might not be there long. I might even get a banning, but I will do it, because it is worth it.

If someone hits hard times, then they have to find a way out.

I know, I am there, but this is my problem, not anyone else's.
    I have helped people online in the past.

I once sent $300 to someone who I thought I knew to help them out of a crisis.

I never saw that money again, but I had worked hard for it.

Some people genuinely have problems, and being a caring person it is natural to want to help, but please, unless you are rich, don't.

I care about people but i have my son to think of first. My money is for him and i am involved with hubpages because i like the people but also because i would like to earn money and not have to give it out.  I am really hoping that by making our community aware we can put the word out and put this people out of business.

Sorry you lost your money. I would never ask anyone for money.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Me neither, JT.

But I am reluctant to call those who do out because we have a long term respected hubber who recently did ask on the forums for financial help.

He must have been desperate to make that call, and I do not fault him for it.

I am not in a position to help him.

But for someone to ask you in email, and maybe more than once, is 'extracting the urine' for want of a better expression.

How dare anyone presume you are in a position to help? Even if you were, and I'm not suggesting for a moment that you are, it would be this now, and God knows what later.

It's nice to be nice. I am usually nice, but not always. On this occasion I would have no hesitation in telling the asker to 'go away'.

Substitute that phrase for any other that comes to mind! lol

Your son comes first.

Thanks I am reluctant to call anyone out on this either but would rather have everyone on the forum know this is going on. I will tell you as well they vote you down when you don't send money.

1. IzzyM profile image88

They vote down when you don't send them money?

Well, they must have been voting me down big time recently. Does voting down make any difference?

I hope not.

I don't know for certain but I have been threatened with that.  I assume that is why my score is so low.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I wondered why your hubscore was low.

If this is indeed it, then HP management need to to take your valid arguments on board.

I have wondered and asked in the forums but i didn't tell them I was being asked for cash.  It has been a very unpleasant subject to speak about and I was reluctant but now it is out. 

When I ask they say it is the algorithm.  But my score has never been over 90. I don't back link and I don't seo and I limit my tags.

It seems like whenever a person works hard to ebtter themself and rise there are always people waiting in the wings to knock them down.    But no one got any money from me. I just don't want these people to do this to anyone else.  And I have really and I mean really tried to ignore it and take the high road the whole time.  Now we have dicussed it in the forums perhaps it will discourage anyone else to ask another for money. 

I was exceptionally reluctant to speak about what has been going on. I thought when I published att he six month point my Mother had recently died and that I was having financial diffuclties people would get the hint but no such luck. If anything they got angry becaus ethey thought I was a mark. No such luck. And seriously I have made copies of all their emails asking for money.  So they can be exposed. I am seriously hoping they stop.

All My Best and Thanks for Answering.

JT

1. IzzyM profile image88

This is sick.

This stops now, OK?

I have no idea who was asking for money from this hubber.

Back off now.

If HP are not stepping in to help, then I am.

I might be nothing, but it stops now. No more. Fin, Finito, Finished.

8. formosangirl profile image78
    formosangirlposted 12 years ago

Lately I have been receiving email from acquaintances who claimed to be stranded overseas. I thought they were highly suspicious. The message said to send anything you could to help me when I get my affairs straightened out, but this is embarrassing so please do not tell anyone to create an alarm. One of them found out that someone hacked into his email account and highjacked it. He had to send an apologetic email telling everyone that he himself was locked out of his own email. Unless a friend calls you to tell you that he needs money, don't believe any email request for money. I was pretty surprised to see this type of scam happening.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Maybe this is what has happened here?

I've been using Gmail this past couple of years, and they seem to be on the ball when it comes to hacking email accounts.

It must have been over a year ago they wrote to me asking me to change my password.

When I looked at my account, I saw that emails had been sent from my account to everyone in my [then] email address book. None of them were 'friends'.

My Gmail started out as a business account.

Anyway, none of those emails were delivered, so thank you Google, you did something good.

It would seem that a Gmail address is pretty protective.

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Report them - end of issue.

10. formosangirl profile image78
    formosangirlposted 12 years ago

My gmail was hacked, too, as well as my yahoo account. The takeover of my gmail was bad and embarrassing. It took a long time to delete messages, spamming others. To cure it, you have to make your password very secure. Your problem should then go away.

11. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I have a number of hubs on fundraising and I get a number of emails from people asking for monetary assistance. I feel bad, but I don't know these people and I've got bills to pay of my own. I just mark them as spam.

Recently, I got some disturbing comments from some girl, probably in high school, who is demanding that I write a school paper. I was asleep when she'd sent her demands, so I obviously couldn't respond. Since I didn't respond to her in her apparently short time limit, she made more comments with a different name (same IP) calling me names and saying she's going to ruin me or something.

I wouldn't have written her paper had I been awake, but come on... a string of demands and then threats within a matter of hours.

These comments were made from a non-member. Weird stuff you get sometimes!

I guess they thing we are all exploitable because we are on hubpages?  Weird.

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

It's very disturbing that anyone would hide behind the Hub Pages name this way.
    Does this person think you will take them more seriously because you are both hubbers? That's just wrong.

As to protecting young people on HP, we don't -- or should not, at least -- have anyone under 18 here.

No but we have 18 year olds and people that are senior citizens.

I think they think because we are here on Hubpages we are exploitable.

Thanks for responding. JT

13. Joan King profile image70
    Joan Kingposted 12 years ago

This is new to me. I have been writing for a few sites for several years with hundreds of articles on other sites and have just been with HP for a year now and the few unsolicited emails I have received are from reputable websites asking me to write for them because they like my work. I never reply to anyone directly because when you do they have your personal email. While we can't control spam always, we can help protect ourselves from unwanted emails by not responding directly.
    In any email that comes through HP there is a clear message/warning below:

Please do not reply to this message, it was sent from an unmonitored address.
    Unsubscribe from all HubPages emails - Report this email as spam or abuse
    HubPages Inc., 95 Minna St., San Francisco CA 94105 - email us

14. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 12 years ago

This is strange..haven't heard of such things at least on this site..good you have made this public knowledge now..you may also want to report this as others have suggested as it could spread if left unchecked.

15. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Can you just block an email address from whatever account she's using?

Gosh, just give them my e mail address

wesmantoddshaw@ yahoo or aol.

I'd enjoy some banter.  High powered rifles and the local Hell's Angels....

Thanks if he is brave enough to approach me again I will.

16. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 12 years ago

Heck I know what you mean. I just got a email from a shoulder bolder holder ( bra) retailer who asked how much would he have to pay me to put his bra ad on my hub lol.
    He takes the booby prize.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Heeeey...you're back! Where ya been girl??

1. blondepoet profile image68

Hey Izzy I have missed you guys terribly. I have had sooo much going on. Love you xx

2. JT Walters profile image71

;-)

3. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, where you been?  I was really surprised to see you pop up on G+ because I had not seen you here..

Happy to see you back!

17. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

What about hubbers who want to marry you in order to come to the U.S.??

Haven't come across men wanting to come to marry me to come to America. I have other men interested in me but not for citizenship but i have a child with a rare disorder and autims and that is rather intimidating for most people internationally.  If i ever alter my identity I will be a man so I don't have the unsolicited advances.

JT

2. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that happens again, tell them you have a litttle ole single lady friend from Fl. who is loaded with money, and she'll marry you!

You bet!!

:-)

LOL

JT

2. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dang, Mary, if I weren't already married and were gay, I'd marry you! I think we'd have a blast together and get along great! lol

:0

2. blondepoet profile image68

868 hubs....holy smoke...you on fire woo hoo x

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

BP, great to see you!

3. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Better still, tell them you ARE the little, old, lady; but that you're dirt-poor and already married to the little, old, man of your dreams of 65 years. (and that he stood by you all through that 40 years you spent in prison after you were "wrongly" committed of that unthinkable crime).   

That ought to do it.  smile

smile

18. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I've never had anyone email me for money...just a date! big_smile

I get a lot of that as well. In  my next life on HP I am going to be a man and amrry Mary!!

smile

JT

That was, I am going to be a man and marry Mary!!

smile

Slippy fingers.

JT

19. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

i've had the normal Nigerian emails... i just ignore and delete

...but, wait until they start sending $1800 checks in your full name and address with instructions to 'secret shop' w/ an 'oh by the way try the service at Westetrn Union and write a review how the 1500 went through and keep the other 300 for participating in their shopping review"

i ripped the check in half, taped it back together for proof, wrote a cover letter to the local postal inspector along w/ the explicit instructions and turned it over as evidence.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised, as you stated. that a few of fake id's here are used as a means to find willing and easy targets for wire fraud scams... how they are getting personal emails outside of HP and address information is unknown but after being off the forums for a year I got this within 48 hours of posting back all in the name of SEO and home money making opportunities.

I also have had my suspicions about a few fake id's here and one that I'll mention outright is Nico'sMind. I have no quams. Its out there for staff to look into now. It may  be someone else using  a bot cookie to send emails through his account but  his icon is everywhere on Facebook and personal emails. Probably using the low security Filipino infrastructure to hack in. I suspect a few others as well on the snail mail fraud. I've often wonderecd if my own account ever bot emails others without me knowing using a cookie cause it could cause trouble. Don't let Facebook use the HubPages module either because it seemns to get more frequent when allowing Facebook to access HubPages data. If Noco'sMind has nothing to do with it. Oh well. It's out there now. Better to be safe than sorry an hurt someones Hubfeelings than to get scammed. WHaWHa WHA, cry, cry

I just don't give them anything and delete them. And I haven't merged any of my accounts.

These are hubbers asing for money and trying to scam each toher or in my case, me.  Didn't work and I informed everyone.  It should all stop now.

JT

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)