jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Wikipedia is asking for donations

1. mary615 profile image92
    mary615posted 4 years ago

I noticed this fom Wikipedia serveral days ago and was surprised.  I just never thought about who writes for this site, and the circumstances.  Just thought I'd pass it on.  I'm usually the last to find out about these things, but just in case..  I copied and pasted this info:

L11 1129 SH GS/en/US
    From the Wikimedia Foundation
    < L11 1129 SH GS
    Jump to: navigation, search

From Wikipedia author Susan HewittGoogle might have close to a million servers. Yahoo has something like 13,000 staff. Wikipedia only has 679 servers and 95 staff.
    Wikipedia is the #5 site on the web and serves 470 million different people every month -- all powered by donations from readers.

If you use Wikipedia, you realize how fabulous it is to get all this information without a paywall, and to not have to read ads, and not have things flashing on the sides and so on. It’s a pure experience.

I think people who benefit from it a lot, and can afford it, maybe would feel a moral obligation to kick in at least a couple bucks if they knew what was needed.

Please pitch in $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can afford to help protect Wikipedia.

The amazing thing about Wikipedia is that nerds like me, who love weird things like gastropods (snails), get to come together and share our passion with the world. That’s what makes Wikipedia so magical – there’s this unspoken light inside all of us that comes from the desire to help educate, to help share knowledge.

Please keep this garden of knowledge growing by making a contribution today.

Susan Hewitt

Wikipedia Author         
    Select your gift amount:

$10 $20 $25 $35
    $50 $100 $250 Other: 

Why your donation is needed:We work hard to keep our operation lean. We operate on a fraction of what the other top websites spend.
    We will never run ads. Commerce is fine. Advertising is not evil. But it doesn't belong in Wikipedia.
    If everyone reading this made a small donation, we would only have to fundraise for a few hours. Not everyone can or will donate, but each year just enough people decide to give.
    We only raise what we need. When we've raised our budget, we stop fundraising for the year.
    This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to protect and sustain Wikipedia.
    By donating, you are sharing your information with the Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit organization that hosts Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, and its service providers in the U.S. and elsewhere pursuant to our donor privacy policy. We do not sell or trade your information to anyone. For more information please read our donor policy.

Make a monthly donation
    Other ways to give
    Frequently asked questions
    Retrieved from "http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=L11_1129_SH_GS/en/US&oldid=75516" Personal toolsLog in
    VariantsViewsReadContributeView history
    Search  About WikimediaHomeFAQOur projectsPress roomContact usStaff and contractorsWikimedia blogJob openingsLocal chaptersDonateQuestions for Wikimedia?
    CorporateBoard of TrusteesAdvisory BoardBylawsValuesPoliciesResolutionsAnnual ReportFinancial reports and Form 990Fundraising reports
    WikiRecent changesBabel
    Print/exportCreate a bookDownload as PDFPrintable version
    ToolboxWhat links hereRelated changesSpecial pagesPermanent linkCite this pageThis page was last modified on 29 November 2011, at 17:47.
    Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of use for details.
    Privacy policyAbout Wikimedia FoundationDisclaimersMobile view

1. mary615 profile image92
      mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

little typo there:  first line: should be "from" Wikipedia, not "fom"

2. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 4 years ago

i think they've always been non- profit 503(c)... or not-for-profit.. i forget which one is which and the designation and what not..maybe its 501c3 but they remind me of the Jerry Lewis telethon once as year asking for donations... its a yearly routine thing.

3. JT Walters profile image74
    JT Waltersposted 4 years ago

Odd because normally non-profits don't have to solicit the people they serve for money. A charity is a charity.