jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

Terrible background ads

1. Janet21 profile image62
    Janet21posted 5 years ago

One of my hubs had huge ads for Drano all over it including the background space on both sides!  There were a total of 4 Drano ads (2 very large) on one hub.  Yuck.  Anyone else see this?

1. thooghun profile image87
      thooghunposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can't say that I have Janet, which is intriguing. What hub is it on? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Janet21posted 5 years ago in reply to this
        1. thooghun profile image87
          thooghunposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps it's geo-targeted, I'm not seeing anything. Will keep an eye out though.

1. Greekgeek profile image97
            Greekgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's only showing up for people in North America, I think. Gack. 

Lack of aggressive advertising has always been one thing I like very much about Hubpages; I hanker after a clean interface. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

2. WriteAngled profile image93
          WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm seeing three ads urging me to play Midas Miner Speed on a particular games site. NB I'm in the UK

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Right now they are running on "home"-related hubs.

3. missolive profile image94
    missoliveposted 5 years ago

Janet - I know exactly what you are talking about. I saw that the other day. I'm not even sure which hub it was. The Drano add covered the background on each side of the main body of the hub. I had never seen that before.

4. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 5 years ago

see the official announcement here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/87012

5. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

I think it is ridiculous what Adsense does to our articles with their ads. We are to produce quality content, but they can slap 5 billboard signs all over our articles.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's not Adsense that is doing it.

6. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago

Advertisers pay content sites and content producers, like you, because they want visitors to take notice of ads. Yes, it would be nice to have subtle, unobtrusive ads, but if no one notices them, then why would an advertiser pay for them?

Our ad layout is much less aggressive than the top destination sites on the Web, but if you really don't want your visitors to see as many ads, and your content is not commercial (i.e. if it doesn't link out to a site that you have an interest in), you can feel free to lower the ad level. Of course, you will most certainly earn less money by doing so.

7. gabgirl12 profile image79
    gabgirl12posted 5 years ago

Well technically if you think about the hub you posted on Mario, the storyline is that he is portrayed as a plumber defeating creatures coming out of the sewers in NY.

I had to laugh though when I saw the ad's. I think that anyone who knows the Super Mario storyline would see how the ad's might relate, even though its just a video game.

Janet21posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Okay, that is funny! I never thought about that. smile

8. hazelwood4 profile image82
    hazelwood4posted 5 years ago

I also clicked on a Hub earlier that had the Drano add across the background.  Pretty weird!

9. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

Janet:  The ads are on the sidebar, not actually in your hub interrupting it. like I see a lot of.

working