jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Torn Between Artistry and Money.

1. Don Fairchild profile image82
    Don Fairchildposted 4 years ago

When writing on Hubpages I find myself torn between writing a great informative article that brings five dollar signs in the metrics area.  Then at times I would want to write about a touching human interest story that many others would find engaging, but maybe only one dollar sign from the advertisers point of view. 

Sometimes my money grubber side wins then sometimes my artsy side wins.

Should I just write what I want? Or try to make tons of money (Ha)....

2. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

I have stopped looking at the $ signs, they are meant to be an indication (not a prediction of the ads) and  I have not been able to relate them to what actually happens when you publish a hub.

The time is better spent selecting a good title for the article, and now I rarely notice the signs, a bit like hub and profile scores. They are a bit misleading in the importance they appear to have.

Don Fairchildposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that insight, I would prefer to just write interesting articles. 
      And judging by your writing history, the coins will follow..  I am new to HubPages, so like a fine wine, it will take some time to season.

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago

Don, I understand what you are saying but it is my personal belief that you can have the best of both worlds.

OK, you have to choose your Hub title and URL carefully. Thereafter, write what you know and what you are passionate about. I have written about a great many subjects online over these past few years but I don't believe it is any accident that - across the board! - my top earning subjects are centred around fish, seafood, catching them and cooking them. Why? Because I'm a passionate fisherman who loves cooking his catch! smile

I wish you the best of luck here on Hub Pages but would strongly recommend you follow your heart and your passions first, with the likelihood that the coins will follow. Other way around? Sorry, don't believe that works.

Welcome to Hub Pages and I hope you know great success,

Don Fairchildposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Gordon for the advise.  I am confident that the artiste side of my personality will win out in this battle of mine.  smile
      Unfortunately the practical side of my personality comes storming into my head, usually around the time that the bills need to be paid.  This need to pay the bills can really ruin my literary inventiveness....  Sigh...