jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

What is the difference between Hub Content and Author Content?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 5 years ago

Quote from Hubpages TOS:

"You may remove Your Hub Content from the Service at your discretion. You may not remove your Author Content from the Service."

2. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 5 years ago

Strange wording isn't it... i can only venture it means that your hubs can be removed , but not your prooooofile?@#$... who knows?

3. thooghun profile image86
    thooghunposted 5 years ago

It means that your forum posts, questions and other Hubpages site-wide activity ultimately belongs to Hubpages. But your hubs and their content are yours.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah. Now it makes sense.

1. thooghun profile image86
        thooghunposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yea, the wording is a little confusing to say the least tongue

4. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 5 years ago

makes sense!

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

These terms are defined pretty well a little higher in the TOS.

Strangely, though, we still own our author content, but cannot remove it and HP has an irrevocable right to use it as they see fit.  I assume that means we could copy it somewhere else without fear of copyright violations, but it has to stay here as well until HP decides they don't want it. 

Photos are also author content...

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Photos posted in forums or the Answer section are author content.  You can't delete those.  Photos added to hubs can be deleted, but you have to go into the photo section of your account to do so.  Just deleting them off the Hubs still leaves them in your account.

1. Trish_M profile image86
        Trish_Mposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi:)

I am still not happy about this situation.

Jason said, elsewhere:

That is certainly reassuring, but, according to the Terms of service ~ which I only happened upon, by chance, the other day:

"Author Content" includes 'all photographs that Authors post on the Service (including on the Author’s Hub)'.

And:

'By posting Author Content on the Service, You grant HubPages a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license to reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute, modify, adapt and publish the Author Content on or in connection with the Service'.

And even:

'You may remove Your Hub Content from the Service at your discretion.
        You may not remove your Author Content from the Service'.

I cannot even find the terms of service now ~ they should be much easier to link to ~ but I am sure that this is what they said.

HubPages agrees that we retain copyright re our own images, but these rules clearly state that I am not allowed to remove my own photos from this site and that I am granting 'HubPages a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license to reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute, modify, adapt and publish'.

I understand that if we don't like these rules, then we shall have to leave the site, but HubPages says that if we do leave, then we can remove our 'hub content', but we cannot remove our 'author content'. This means that we would not be allowed to remove our own photographs.

Now I would like to state clearly that I do not post my photos anywhere on this site except within my hubs. The exception is my profile photo.

I am also stating, clearly, that I own and retain copyright, and indeed any and all rights, to my photographs, including the right to remove them from my hubs. Furthermore, I am not granting 'HubPages a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license to reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute, modify, adapt and publish' any of my photographs. I never agreed to this and I am not agreeing to it now.

I don't want to cause problems, I just want to clarify my rights and the legality of this situation.

I would be very sad if this meant that I had to leave. I love writing; I enjoy writing Hubs; I like illustrating them with my own photographs, but this has to be cleared up.

If the Terms of Service are not intended to cover hubs, and do not prevent us removing our photos from hubs ~ or from the gallery ~ then this needs to be stated within the Terms of Service.

I hope that I won't have to leave ~ it would sadden me immensely ~ but, if I do have to go, then my photos and all rights over my photos, will go with me.

1. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If having a link at the bottom of every single page on this website that reads "terms of use" isn't findable enough for you, I suggest the problem is really yours, and not HubPages.

Now that you have told me where it is, I have been able to find it ~ thank you ~ but it is in white, against pale grey, and, until I scrutinised the page, it was almost invisible to me.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
              WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is also in such small type that I can only read what it says by holding a magnifying glass to the screen.

Quite so, WriteAngled smile

working