jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How will the new flash search feature affect my 100th hub?

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 4 years ago

In particular, this question is directed to the Hubpages staff.

I am in the process of writing my 100th hub which will take a lot of time and involves my listing 100 favourites of mine from the entertainment world. I am wondering whether I am going to be allowed to do this now.

In the last few days, Google has introduced a new feature whereby any name/title that you search on Google or a searchable site like imdb.com automatically creates a link to that name/title every time you see that name/title on any page - including other people's hubs. For example, I was reading about Fred astaire on imdb and so now every time I look at Cogerson's hub on Fred Astaire, Fred Astaire is linked for me. I spend a lot of time reading up on my favourite artists and my hub as I want to write it will be full of these unwanted links.

Here is the problem. This new flash links page is one domain only. Anything more than two links per domain is considered overly promotional. Yet, I am not making these links and don't want them. They aren't even real links as I will be the only one to see them.

Is the process by which a hub is unpublished for being overly promotional controlled by a computer bot or is it a real person on the hubpages staff? And can staff members override any  computer bot control if there is one? I want to ensure HP staff that I do not write overly promotional hubs. That I will publish it with ads disabled on it if necessary as I don't write on Hubpages for money. I just want to be able to publish it and have people reading it.

By the way, the feature is not retroactive. It only involves names you have searched since it was introduced.

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 4 years ago

From the FAQ:

Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation.

And can you provide a link to info on this new feature? I haven't heard of it as yet. And if you're not creating the links, I don't see how it would be an issue. Only links that you physically place into a hub cause issues.

FloraBreenRobisonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank-you! I won't have a problem then. I noticed too that Google Crome has a covert feature that will hide your activity so I will use this from now on.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

I wonder if perhaps you installed some plugin that is doing this to you?   This does not sound like anything Google could or would do,

FloraBreenRobisonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think so, although I am not a tech expert and anything is possible.  In any case, I have discovered a covert window that erases your history so that no one knows what you are searching, and that is what I am using for everything now. It means that I have to sign in every time I use hubpages because my activity isn't saved, but I do not mind.