jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Cash for Christmas

1. RobertoPortales profile image81
    RobertoPortalesposted 4 years ago

As an economist, I believe that cash is the most economically efficient gift.  However, not everyone likes to give or receive cash as a present.  Personally, I prefer cash for all my gifts because I know that I am the only person who can get the most utility out of it.  What’s your opinion on the subject?

1. mary615 profile image92
      mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know it's considered not personal enough, but I like to get gift cards for Christmas.  Then I can buy whatever I like.  Sometimes people spend a lot of time and money to give gifts when the receiver just takes the gift back to get what they really wanted.

2. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I accept your generous gift with the appropriate seasonal appreciation!

2. medina112 profile image59
    medina112posted 4 years ago

gift cards are great and so is cash, but I like hand made things, or things that are made from from the heart... for example a handpainted drawing from a child, or some homemade jam, or jewellery made with a personal touch a keep sack.  The real thing is great too but times are tough and not everyone can afford to buy things or give money...

1. mary615 profile image92
      mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are absolutely right about that.  I value a handmade gift much more than a store bought gift. especially from the children in the family.

3. 0
    Dedmorozposted 4 years ago

I don't mind cash as a present for christmas, birthdays or any other occasion. I'd rather have an easter egg full of cash than chocolate.

Having said that, it feels awkward for me to give someone cash as a present. A present I think, is more thoughtful.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

My 3 daughters and their young families all struggle somewhat - financially speaking. Cash and gift cards make up the bulk of their gifts from me, but I always have some small gifts for them to open, also. I give toys and clothes to the grandkids.

1. kmackey32 profile image82
      kmackey32posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thats how my mom does it too....lol

5. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 4 years ago

Well, it's sure useful, but it's not as much fun.

To my mind, a good gift is one with a certain amount of thought put into it. For example, I recently had a birthday. I'd remarked to my wife some weeks previously that I wished I'd been able to find a case for my cell phone that included a place to put cash and receipts and stuff for when I'm at a client lunch or buying business-related stuff that I'll end up writing off.

Well, she gave me a case that not only has all the features I'd hoped for, but also resembles a wee antique book so that I can take out my phone at a reenactment (one of my hobbies) and not wreck the atmosphere for anyone (except maybe myself). Now that there is a great gift!

She could have said, "here's some money, go buy what you want," and I might have been able to find the exact same thing at a store. But what she did showed that she was really thinking about me and what sort of thing I would want to have. It's not so much what she gave me that I love (and I do love the wee little book-looking phone case) but the fact that she went out of her way to get something so cool.

I hope she likes what I get her for Christmas as much!