jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

follow vs. nofollow backlinks

1. homesteadbound profile image88
    homesteadboundposted 5 years ago

First of all, I know so little about what I am presenting in this question that I hope to be clear enough for you to understand.
    When I used a picture from flickr, and thanked the photographer in the comments below the picture, I accidentally saw the html, and it said nofollow for the comment I was adding. I don't know html, but I saw the word nofollow in the code.
    If I am able to edit the code to change that nofollow to follow, do I want to? Is it beneficial?
    Would it anger the "powers that be" whoever that is at flickr so that I could be banned from using their site?
    Does a nofollow backlink help us at all?
    I hope this is clear enough for someone to give me a good answer.
    Thanks.

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi
      A nofollow link tells search engines not to crawl the link you indexed. If you change it to follow, flickr will be more than happy, but if the persons profile isn't that good it could damage your hubs reputation and your reputation as a whole. So it would be advisable to stick with a no-follow. If you need any more help please feel free to ask. I'm an expert in this field smile

homesteadboundposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is there a way to determine if their profile is good or bad?

Yes, judge their profile by checking out whether they have useful content there, it could be dam hard. The only suggestion is keep it as a nofollow.
          You would have to check out whether they have original content (or photos in this case). You'll also need to check their out bound links and those pages for originality. If these things are fine then you could opt for a do follow.

homesteadboundposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks

No prob smile
              Glad to help - i.e. if I helped hehe big_smile

working