jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do I approve or deny comments infested with typos, etc.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

There's gotta be at least 50 of them here. How will the search engines interpret this mess as it relates to my hub?

Original quote of comment deleted by OP.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am also concerned how my ranking will be treated by search engines when I have comments from people that may hurt. Not only with a lot of poor spelling, but also comments that seem to include keyword stuffing. I've noticed that in some cases.  I don't know if it was intentional or not. If I feel any of this is too extreme I won't approve the comment. We have to be concerned about our own ranking.

2. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I couldn't get through the whole thing there, so I have to confess that I only "got a rough idea".  I think if I got one like that and wanted to respond (maybe because I thought it would otherwise make a good contribution to do that, or because I wanted to be responsive to the reader; I'd respond but not include the reader's comment.  I'd say something like, "I had some trouble publishing your comment, but here's my reply." (I once had someone post a poem without copyright permission, and I just told the person I couldn't publish his comment with someone else's poem in it - but I responded to his comments.)  I've done that kind of thing if people don't know not to leave their own personal info or e.mail in a comment too.

Any other readers wouldn't get to see the person's comment, but the person would get a response (if one was warranted and/or generally just the nice thing to do).  There's usually some way to come up with a true, but polite, excuse for not posting and still answering.  Another might be, "I wasn't sure if you'd want your personal story posted, so I'm only posting my reply to your comment here."

I don't want to insult, or hurt the feelings of, someone who struggles with something like spelling problems or language problems; but I don't want something that extreme on my stuff either.  hmm  Knowing a few people who struggle with this kind of thing, though; I don't want to just ignore them because they can't spell or write.  They tend to struggle with most things they do because of it.  Also, it's sometimes kids who write comments in the hope of getting feedback and/or because they're upset with a situation.

Either way, I don't have it happen that often; so it's not hard to figure out some gracious way of not publishing it but maybe answering anyway.  smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Thanks, guys. That's good enough for me and I agree. Comments deleted.

4. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Coming in late here, but personally I would delete comments that are illiterate. I do not want them polluting my hubs. I do not consider illiterates to be my target audience.

5. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I delete comments that are completely a waste. If other people or myself cannot completely comprehend what was said, then it's of no value to the hub.

6. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 4 years ago

If the comments with typos relate to the hub contents, then I would leave them there because your hub then becomes more relevant to searchers who can't spell either, and there are plenty of them.

Not everyone uses Google which tend to ignore spelling errors and send searchers to where they think the person wanted to go, rather than what they actually typed.

On the other hand if the comment was a 'guid hubb' type of comment, bin it.