jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How can you make money as a student to sponsor yourself?

1. henrytom profile image58
    henrytomposted 8 years ago

does  anyone have the answer?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

Get a part time job.

3. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 8 years ago

Are you a foreign student in the US? If so, you probably can't get a job, except at your school, and usually you have to wait for one semester or one year before applying for employment authorization. Your sponsor can then claim financial hardship due to medical bills, the bad economy, etc., though you will need to provide proof of this like a letter from the doctor, banker, etc. and they will usually only authorize you for 20 hours per week.

I would talk to your international student advisor for the best advice to help your specific case, however.

I honestly don't know how the INS looks on self-employment such as internet marketing or freelance writing. I assume they would allow it, but I would definitely talk to your advisor to be sure! It is a complete pain in the you-know-what to get your status back if you lose it, so protect it with your life.

4. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

And there's the spammer that the original poster posted the question for smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image83
      Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Was in the process of banning him when you posted wink

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You would think they would learn....... smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image83
          Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I actually had a spammer tell me "Wow, you're good" in an email this weekend.  Best compliment ever.

working