An idea to help control the trolls

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (35 posts)
  1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I have no idea it would work, but would it be possible to put a 24 hour forum hold on new accounts?  They can read the forums and have full functionality of hubs and such, but they aren't able to post for 24 hours after account creation?

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just get a bunch of Hobbits (or Gandalf) to turn them into stone!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I've seen this suggestion before, and the answer is that it would discourage genuine Hubbers from participating as most people would be too impatient to wait for that period of time.

The other suggestion, which I think is much better, is that new Hubbers should only be able to post in the Hub-related threads.  They have to have at least one Hub published before they can post in the general topic-related forums.

That way, new Hubbers could still seek help to get started, but trolls would be discouraged because they would have to have one genuine Hub.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, you'd like to prevent new valid users from getting help and just delay trolls from doing their thing?

I don't see how this is actually going to be helpful or actually prevent forum misuse.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*smiles* You're a few posts too late, I've already been shown the error of my ways.

2. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We've been down that road before and the suggestion was to let them post in "Need Help" and "Extreme Hub Makeover".

It could work.  My bet is that HP *like*s these trolls as they generate activity in the forums.

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I guess then he'll create bunch of accounts so that they pass 24 or more hours limit and then he'll use it again for the same trolling.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

I think the probationary period should be longer-maybe 30 days.

1. Pcunix profile image90

Five years.

Yes, I know I'd be hurting myself, but it really would cut down, wouldn't it?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

50 years.  They say some of your best work comes toward the end of your life.

1. Pcunix profile image90

Considering that I'll be 64 in a few months, 50 years might not work for me..

1. habee profile image93
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Let's take a minute to consider the word "control." The prefix "con" means "against." The base word "trol" is the Old English spelling for the modern word "troll," meaning a nasty little creature that lives under a bridge and steals goats. Hence, the word "control" literally means "against trolls."

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

Only you Habee would bring that to attention. lol

1. habee profile image93

Goes with the English teacher thingie. ("Thingie" here is a very technical and academic term, BTW.)

And here I was thinking that it came for arrogance? roll

tongue

1. habee profile image93

You do realize I just made up the etymology, right?

Yeah, how does that change what I said? tongue

1. habee profile image93

lol lol lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, you have the origin wrong.  The word "Cont" (edited for family friendliness) and roll combined means that we should roll the little conts off a cliff...

lol lol lol

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

But seriously: yes, we have asked for this before. HP seems uninterested.

6. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I think the best way to control trolls is to completely ignore them. If they receive no attention whatsoever, and they do like attention, posting becomes worthless and unrewarding to them. They'll move on.

7. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Some people don't even realise that they are trolls.

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I have no patience for the trolls who join HubPages, then post in the Forum with questions about their failing love life.  This recent girl posted in three different Forum places, but I'm glad I haven't seen more from her.  Of course she didn't get the answers she wanted.  The ones who make the rudest comments don't even have one Hub published.  If it's someone who wants advice for romance or a failed relationship, what would her one Hub be about?  Her "love" problem!  Enough, already!  Leave the clown!

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

A posting hold would be a bit of a cold welcome to the new members who are mostly not trolls.  I remember a writer's group I went to where you weren't allowed to talk for your first meeting--I never went back.

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

If you are serious about writing and putting your work out there, a posting hold would not stop you from waiting it out, then publishing your work.  Writers are an odd lot.  I dumped my writers' group months ago.  Some people can't write their way out of a paper bag, and there are the wannabes who have money to throw around to attend conferences.  Of course, that makes them writers.  If you are serious about the craft, you'll do whatever it takes to get published or find work.  Including writing for HubPages.  You can't control these trolls, so instead of extending the attention to their behavior, either flag their work or let it go.  That was one long thread devoted to the last Dude.  I would not analyze why he behaves this way or why he behaves the way he does.  I'm not being paid to be his psychiatrist or his therapist.  Flag him and set him free.

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I don't know about you, but I am not really serious about writing Hubs--I do it for fun. One of the reasons I stayed and wrote so many was because I enjoyed the forum.

12. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Trolls are like bears, they find a way into places where there is food. If people don't feed them, they go away.

13. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

You guys are probably right.  It was just a random idea I had.  I was thinking about the "lewie vatton" spam monsters too.

I like Marisa's idea, but then again I can see the hub threads pounded by spam and some really low quality "write something quick so I can post" hubs.

*shrugs*  I'm still working on the invention that lets you punch people in the face over the internet... when I get that done I promise hub forums will be a much nice place smile

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  I'm not sure I like the sound of that.  Can I program the screen to display a mirror image?  So that I can turn it backwards and read it in a mirror?  smile

14. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I know! How about a giant electric fence to keep them out!
    Oh wait, this isn't the political forum, is it?
    Sorry.
    smile

lol lol

2. habee profile image93

Trolls are immune to electric shocks...and to electric socks!

15. Albert Genius profile image57
    Albert Geniusposted 12 years ago

Hubpages is not serious about website abuse (by the way, no one is abusing them right away lol).

If they are really serious, then implement these-

1) Make it mandatory for everyone to have published at least 10 'quality' hubs, to participate in these forums. Will hubpages do that? Why will they? Most people come here for fun; they will not disappoint them with a task of 10 hubs.

2) Make it strictly compulsory to have SMS-verification completed, for anyone willing to join these forum. It's just what Google does before you can create a GMAIL account. Implementing this will totally eradicate all abusers. Will hubpages implement this one. To begin with, they perhaps lack funds to make it a reality. lol.

HubPages will always have.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)