jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Spacing issues when publishing your hub

1. profile image0
    Dedmorozposted 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

Before I publish my hubs on hubpages I usually write the draft, edit and re-write the good copy on Word.

However I'm having space issues when I copy whats on Word onto the Text Capsule on hubpages.

It seems it double spaces every paragraph and it just takes up extra time getting the spacing right.

Is there anyway to overcome this?

Max

1. Aficionada profile image90
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When you type into Word, are you hitting Enter twice to create a new paragraph?  If so, just type Enter once when you do your final edit.

As an alternate, create a different signal (in Word) for the beginning of a paragraph, such as extra spaces or a Tab.  Then, when you paste it into the text capsule, move the cursor to those points and hit Enter. It's still a little bit of work, but possibly not as much as you are facing now.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Word has all kinds of hidden coding that can do strange things when you paste into another program.

As Pcunix says, you can avoid that by writing in Notepad, Wordpad or TextEdit.  Or if you prefer writing in Word,just copy and paste the text into one of those programs when you're finished, then copy and paste it from there. That will strip out all the strange stuff.

I'm guessing there's a Russian connection there somewhere, Santa?

1. profile image0
        Dedmorozposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you! I'll try copy pasting it to notepad.

Should do the trick wink

Marisa - there's definitely a connection haha. I was born there, but now been in NZ for about 10 years.

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!

3. rmcrayne profile image93
      rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm having the same problem.  And I've always copied/pasted from MS Word, but this problem just started in the last week or two.  I've had various quirks over the 2+ yrs I've been writing on HP.  Quirky things happen with various upgrades to the site, and some disappear when the next round of upgrades happen. I've had this same issue before, which resolved.

1. profile image0

Did the issue resolve when hubpages was experiencing another upgrade?

1. rmcrayne profile image93
          rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, seems so.  I have not published anything about 2 weeks, so I don't know about this current issue.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Same here.  I've always copied from Word and this issue just started recently,

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages!

I don't know. I write directly into the text capsules. But, I'm sure someone will come along who knows how to help you. smile

3. Pcunix profile image87
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

Stop using Word.  It's overkill for this. Use a simple text editor or WordPad (Win) or TextEdit (Mac).

1. profile image0

Thank you Pcunix. I'll use notepad

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Pc - So what's the difference between Word and WordPad?  I've never actually used WordPad (being somewhat computer illiterate)

1. profile image0

Word is more advanced in a way that it can spellcheck, change font, add headings, pictures etc.

Notepad is about as basic as you can get.

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

You need to copy and paste as plain text to avoid problems because word adds a lot of html.  The easiest way to do this is to safe the file as .txt, reopen and paste from there.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

That's a great tip.

1. profile image0

thank you psycheskinner

5. sofs profile image85
    sofsposted 5 years ago

I work on Google docs and copy paste the whole thing into hub format..with no difficulty at all..save me a lot of time and effort.
    I have used Word before Docs ..all I have had to do is to paste the whole thing into capsules and then block text and format it as paragraphs.. no problems there either smile

1. profile image0

Thanks a lot Sofs, I'll try that smile

working